MacBook Pro 2017 issues

Soldato
we purchased our (non Touch Bar) Pro back in January. Ever since then we have had nothing but issues on start-up.

We would open the Mac from sleep and it would sometimes not let us move the curser. then if the curser moved no password could be entered. So a force restart would happen and it would then work properly.

Added to this it would also flash constantly until a hard reboot would occur.

We've sent it back to apple who found no fault nor could they replicate it. Even with video evidence.

I've spoken to online support several times and still no joy.

once the Mac is working its great. but for over £1k I would be expecting something that works all the time.

Just after advise and what my options are next.

Soldato
What we do in this instance is try to replicate in a netbooted triage OS to rule out software issues, obviously I can’t speak for the store in question but we would give it 48 hours and then ask customer permission to restore (erase and reinstall the os) and test again.

This is assuming hardware diagnostics passed.

Soldato
OP
What we do in this instance is try to replicate in a netbooted triage OS to rule out software issues, obviously I can’t speak for the store in question but we would give it 48 hours and then ask customer permission to restore (erase and reinstall the os) and test again.

This is assuming hardware diagnostics passed.

They couldn't replicate the issue so reinstalled the OS.
But after a few weeks it happened again.

Online support thought it could be my cloud software which was from PC World using too much ram.

This was removed from startup but the issue still remains.

Soldato
we purchased our (non Touch Bar) Pro back in January. Ever since then we have had nothing but issues on start-up.

We would open the Mac from sleep and it would sometimes not let us move the curser. then if the curser moved no password could be entered. So a force restart would happen and it would then work properly.
Are you waking to the same user account or does it wake to the user select screen?

Added to this it would also flash constantly until a hard reboot would occur.
The display? Did the machine reboot itself or did you have to initiate the reboot?

How easy is it to now replicate the issue? Does it occur in multiple users?

Soldato
OP
The machine wakes to the user selection screen. Myself and the wife.

It doesnt happen all the time which is annoying.

The machine doesnt reboot itself. I have to invoke the reboot by holding down the power button to power off.

Commissario
From what I understand, if you have repeating issues like this, Apple are very good at replacing the computer but it has to be you who suggests it. They won't necessarily offer it but if you ask, there's a good chance they'll swap it, especially with this sort of history. Have you asked them?

Soldato
OP
From what I understand, if you have repeating issues like this, Apple are very good at replacing the computer but it has to be you who suggests it. They won't necessarily offer it but if you ask, there's a good chance they'll swap it, especially with this sort of history. Have you asked them?

No I haven't. And getting home from work today the Mrs has had enougb. She said the Mac can go back.

Back
Top Bottom