Help with picking up an x570 mobo

Associate
Hello,

I have started half a year ago to gather parts for a new Ryzen pc. Yes half a year because i was hoping April the Zen2 cpus would be out...

Anyway i need some help with picking up parts, in the mobo and ram department I am really lost. Apart from them being stupidly expensive I also hate the fact that there is a fan in the SB.

But as i am building a pc every 10+ years (menaing mostly mobo, cpu and ram mostly) I want to future proof a bit my system so I wouldn't look at x470 or b450 mobos.

What would you recommend for the following needs:

1. As many m.2 ssd slots.
  2. WIfi as the pc will be far from the router.
  3. As many usbs as possible and if possible some must be the latest gen usbs. I know it sounds daft but i had to get an expansion card for usb3 and it never worked properly for more than one usbs.
  4. Not cost an arm and a leg. Preferably just the arm...

I was leaning towards the Taichi x570 and the Asus CH viii Hero wifi but the moment i saw the price and the fact that the hero has 1 m.2 less for 430+ i was put off.

Is the Taichi recommended or would you recommend anything else around it's price or even cheaper? Just worried about the SB fan and the 2 x Vega 56 cards that i want to put on it.

My other components that i am thinking or already have.

Hopefully Ryzen 3900x or possibly 3950x
32gb DDR 3600Mhz ram? (not sure which to get here)
Corsair 1000W Platinum
Corsair 1.9TB MP510 (or 1tb MP600 but i prefer more storage for same price)
2x Vega 56 Saphire Nitro (one is the limited edition) for CF
Coolermaster C700P

TrM

TrM

Associate
I had a asrock tachai and i has to return it it got a fault and said I had no cpu I got unlucky with mine but it did work for a few days and was rock solid and looked amazing

I then got the ASUs c8h which I still have today been amazing since I first put into my case stable and rock solid with my 4.3 ghz oc on asrock I was at 1.3v stable on ASUs I’m 1.275 stable so my ASUs is better at handling my cpu.

I don’t think u could go wrong with either motherboard and the price point of the asrock gives it the edge for most people u could even go for the asrock phantom gaming and keep the 2.5gb networking and have the creative sound suite which the tachai is lacking for about 350 pounds.

But I do like the ASUs more personally and it’s served me well so far:) but you are really paying a price premium for the name ASUs and rog. And as for 3 m.2 u can allways use the bottom pci express with a adapter card since I doubt the difference in speed will be noticeable due to it going trough chipset and data ports anyhow

Associate
I own the X570-f, not an option due to your requirements, but some valid points to consider are: as most GPUs now don't start their fans up to certain temperature, the area next to the GPUs will be warm/hot. My M.2 was going over 70c often, even when the GPU fan was on, as wasn't a blower card, so the hot air from the GPU was going straight to the M.2. It was the issue using the B350-F/x470-f.
But the other issue with the X570 is the temperature. I know the manufacturer knows better, but mine stays at 60c, 1.5k rpm. Up to 62c during gaming. But no hot air around, as the GPU and the CPU are watercooled.
One thing that helped, and I would strongly suggest is using heatsinks for M.2, and at your budget, even with the ones included, they're pretty good, but use some thermalpad like the Gelid GP Extreme. Just check the thickness. Mine was 1mm. Temps now for both the 970 Evo and the 960 Evo about highs 30s up to mid 40s during load.
And just adding, the issue with the hit air over the M.2 was a Vega56 Pulse.

Associate
OP
I saw the taichi quite cheap today but also I started considering the asus x570-e, as it has proper usbs compaired to the taichi and yes perhaps just live with two m2 slots. Oh well decisions decisions. The hero looks really cool but I refuse to pay that much it costs a bit less than a 9900k or more than the 3800x thats too much for a mobo.

Soldato
I saw the taichi quite cheap today but also I started considering the asus x570-e, as it has proper usbs compaired to the taichi and yes perhaps just live with two m2 slots. Oh well decisions decisions. The hero looks really cool but I refuse to pay that much it costs a bit less than a 9900k or more than the 3800x thats too much for a mobo.

You won't go to far wrong with the Taichi, the Aorus Elite looks decent if you don't want to spend too much. I went for the Aorus Master as I also upgrade infrequently and see the motherboard as key to the long term stability of the system. I usually end up upgrading because of out dated motherboard features. The Master, like the Hero VIII, is expensive but very well made and has pretty much every feature I could likely need for years to come.

Associate
OP
I read good things about the master but yeah if I reach that much I could get the ch viii. I might look into the rog x570-e and the aorus elite as well and see and compare them with the asrock and decide on something.

Soldato
I don't have access to the mm yet and i am trying to keep budget around 300ish.

I would definitely look at the Strix-E then.
I've just bought one, Very similar to the C8H.
If you go on a certain auction site using their app, You can get 10% off anything. I just got mine for £275 delivered.

Associate
OP
I would definitely look at the Strix-E then.
I've just bought one, Very similar to the C8H.
If you go on a certain auction site using their app, You can get 10% off anything. I just got mine for £275 delivered.
How is the X570-e with fan noise?And also does it have an option to turn the thing off completely?

Soldato
How is the X570-e with fan noise?And also does it have an option to turn the thing off completely?

To be honest I've never heard it and my case is open at the minute.
It's maybe drowned out by the bequiet dark rock pro 4. I don't think I've seen a setting for switching it off completely, I don't think any of them do?

Associate
OP
To be honest I've never heard it and my case is open at the minute.
It's maybe drowned out by the bequiet dark rock pro 4. I don't think I've seen a setting for switching it off completely, I don't think any of them do?
Thank you, i believe you can set them off for up to certain degrees and then they ramp up unless i got the wrong idea. I will be having it in a coolermaster c700p case with 2 vega 56s so it will be hot in there i am sure

Soldato
Aorus Pro wifi is £240 and then you have UK rma - not EU and rep support on here

same Phase set up as Ultra if you wish to slap 16+ cores in future ...

notice how Gigabyte has now pulled that Promo out haha

Soldato
thats the board i'm going to go with (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi)

nice if you can land it at £240 price tag, cheaper then non Wifi PRO from some resellers for £260 and ultra for £300

seeing Gigabyte UD X570 kicking for £160 - have a feeling B550 will sit between £100 to £160 if it retains PCIe 4.0

Associate
...have a feeling B550 will sit between £100 to £160 if it retains PCIe 4.0

B550 doesn't have a PCIE4 interconnect, its just a B450 made by ASMedia thats going to cost more. I'm expecting the only real difference between B450 and B550 boards to be generally higher quality VRMs on the 5 series boards to cope with the 12 and 16 core cpus. Feature wise there seems to be no difference between B450 and B550, and we already know that B450 is at performance parity with X570. B550 is just so that AMD don't have to make the chipset anymore.

The only thing that B550 boards may bring is official PCIE4 support to the m.2 and pcie slots. This would have increased cost due to PCIE 4 signal integrity requirements, but we know its possible as early beta bioses for 300 and 400 series boards when Ryzen 3000 came out did work at PCIE4 despite not being designed for that. This means only PCB changes are needed to enable support leaving vendors responsible for this and allowing ASMedia to concentrate on being able to actually make a working chipset with AMD's designs (which they seem to be struggling with anyway given the delays). Also technically not a chipset feature, its a cpu feature supported by the PCB. Swap a B450 chipset onto the same PCB and you get the same PCIE4 support as those lanes come from the CPU and never go near the chipset.
Tin foil hat says if the above is true the only reason AMD disallowed vendors enabling PCIE4 on older gen chipsets was to make sure they could sell B550.

My guess is these B550 boards will fill the old X470 price range of £90 to £250 compared to B450 at £60 to £150.

Click for Source.

Back
Top Bottom