What's acceptable for water temperature?

Associate
I've finally got my first custom loop up and running and I dont actually know what an acceptable temperature is for the water.

Cooling my system (see sig) is an EK D5 PWM pump, Black Ice 360 GTS, Black Ice 360 GTR (I think, its the 60mm thick multi port one) with Corsair ML120's on both rads.

I've left Heaven running for about 15 minutes now and the temps are as follows;

Water: Fluctuating between 36-39c
GPU: Around 40C
CPU: Around 44-50c (which i dont understand since its only at about 10% load).

The above temps are achieved with all 6 fans at 1000rpm and the pump at 3600rpm.

I'm a bit concerned that when i start gaming and the CPU comes under the load the above temps are going up pretty sharply.

Thanks
Xfire 290 and 2500k 30-40 under load on a warm day but my temps have gone up to 50 on a hot day. One gpu and my temps never go above 40. I have set my fan speeds to keep 5’c delta which this summer was 7’c delta and high 30’c gaming, this is a dirty system I need to clean out the dust in the rads and I’m 2 years over due a coolent change.

40’c gpu and cpu temps running haven is not bad

Soldato
OP
The temps I posted originally were from a game that wasn't actually pushing my GPU to 100% and after now playing Anno 1800 things are bit a different.

Depending on the ambient temp my water temp is anything from 40-50c and thats with the pump at 100% and fans at 1200rpm. I'm actually a little disappointed at how fast i have to have the fans to keep the water temp below 50c. :(

Man of Honour
The Anno games really hammer the CPU and are the series of games that have given me the highest ever power draw from my system. I would say that something is seriously wrong with your setup either with the loop itself or the fan's are just rubbish, something I have heard of with the Corsair ML's on radiators a few times now. Have you tried setting the fans in push/pull? Your SR2 in particular responds very well to fan's in push/pull configuration. Have a look at Xtremerigs review of the SR2 360mm. They test all fan configurations and a few fan speeds although sadly they jump from 750rpm straight to 1300rpm instead of fitting 1000rpm in as well. It also shows your GTS 360mm results in the graphs.

Having the cpu in the same loop as the gpu will only see a couple of degrees extra for the cpu and you have more than enough radiator capacity, or should have anyway. What is your loop order and have you played around with different configurations, not that it should make much difference as long as the reservoir is before the pump? Any chance a inlet or a outlet is in the wrong place (it's easy to do and I did it myself when fitting the GTX280's a few weeks ago although I spotted it before filling the loop)? Do you have the fans set up correctly for "Supercruise" which is the way to get the best performance from the rads. There should be a bit of paper in the box that shows the optimal setup. What case do you have and how are the rads set up in it?

Just to rub salt into the wounds, yesterday morning I had the lowest water temp since last Winter at 12.5 degrees C and it's not even winter yet!! :D The joys of having a pair of Black Ice Nemesis GTX280's mounted in a box on a windowsill sucking cold air from outside through them.

Soldato
OP
@pastymuncher

Case is a Lian Li O11 Dynamic, SR2 Rad is mounted up top, GTS mounted on the side, all fans set to pull. Loop order is Pump/res (its an EK all-in-one thing)>side rad>top rad>CPU>GPU>pump/res. I'm confident i didn't mix up any of the in/outs but i'll double check when i get some free time.

I dont think push/pull would work due to space constraints and I dont really feel like taking my loop apart after the ordeal I went through getting it all together.

No idea what "supercruise" is?

Associate
Seems ok, but depends on which order you installed the rads. Also push pull, would help if you have less rad surface, which isn't your case, or allow same efficiency, but lower speed = less noise.
Mine I'm using a 280 and a 420 EK 45mm thick. It goes from reservoir/pump - CPU - 420 - GPU - 280 - reservoir/pump. Not checking water temperature, but under load GPU (2080) stays at 40c ish, CPU (Ryzen 3600) between 40 and 50c. Few spikes, but usually around the 50c mark.
Not sure why, but GPU when under load, the temperature is constant, but CPU is a mix or highs and lows.

Soldato
OP
Made one small tweak and removed the dust filters (DEMCiflex ones that i paid a fortune for) and water temp is now at around 38c with the fans at 1000rpm. I guess DEMCiflex filters aren't all they're made out to be.

Man of Honour
No idea what "supercruise" is?

Hardware labs radiators should have the fans set up in a certain direction depending on what inlet/outlet is used to get optimum radiator performance. They call this "Supercruise" and there should have been a piece of paper in the radiator box showing the best way to set the radiators/fans up. I took a picture of mine so you can see. It may be different for your SR2 due to the number of ports.

lKGubY0.jpg

Your loop order is similar to mine although I have the gpu before the cpu for ease of hardline routing. I just can't understand why you have to run your fans so fast to keep the water temp below 50 degrees, which to me seems very high and way more than you should be seeing for the excellent radiators you are using. Maybe it is the fans and that they just are not well suited for radiator use.

Associate
Made one small tweak and removed the dust filters (DEMCiflex ones that i paid a fortune for) and water temp is now at around 38c with the fans at 1000rpm. I guess DEMCiflex filters aren't all they're made out to be.
Be carful with them demciflex I had a 240 after a while it started to sag and foul the fans. Apart from that they are good filters but expensive

Man of Honour
@red eye These aren't normal rads though. The Hardware Labs rads have a optimum setup due to them being dual pass radiators but not in the normal way. My GTX's for example have a pair of cores layered one on top of the other. The water comes in through port A travels down the rad through the top core then switches to the back core and comes back up the rad to exit at port B, in effect cooling the water twice. There is a picture and explanation of it in this review.

Associate
@red eye These aren't normal rads though. The Hardware Labs rads have a optimum setup due to them being dual pass radiators but not in the normal way. My GTX's for example have a pair of cores layered one on top of the other. The water comes in through port A travels down the rad through the top core then switches to the back core and comes back up the rad to exit at port B, in effect cooling the water twice. There is a picture and explanation of it in this review.
I get it’s not a normal side to side U flow, it’s front to back U

Back
Top Bottom