War of the Worlds

Soldato
Anyone remember the TV show from 1988? Based after the events in War Of The Worlds. It was an OK watch, for the late 80's!

I quite liked the American TV series version it was almost a pre-cursor to the assemble tv series we get today. It had Poncho from Predator as the Military Action guy. Even though it played loose and fast with the original story and made it all happen to America. The cheap straight to DVD US movie was god damn awful.

Last edited:
Associate
I remember the BBC 80's version fondly but it got cancelled after two series I thought it was scary. I quite liked the American TV series version it was almost a pre-cursor to the assemble tv series we get today. It had Poncho from Predator as the Military Action guy. Even though it played loose and fast with the original story and made it all happen to America. The cheap straight to DVD US movie was god damn awful.
Can't say I've ever heard of a BBC version. You aren't thinking of The Tripods are you? That was based on a different set of books.

Associate
Does anyone know when this is airing? I cant seem to find when in the UK but it would appear its airing the States first? if that is true seems odd that a Bbc tv series is airing in the states first. All of my information could be wrong just not finding the information on google

Soldato
Does anyone know when this is airing? I cant seem to find when in the UK but it would appear its airing the States first? if that is true seems odd that a Bbc tv series is airing in the states first. All of my information could be wrong just not finding the information on google
I want to know this too. Even everything on the BBC website is just vague about it airing in "Autumn". Give me a date, dammit!

Soldato
There was a canny "docu" on the History channel a few months back, called The Great Alien War, or some such, was basically the World War I but reimagined as a WotW-style Martian invasion, was pretty well done, worked good as a pseudo-docu.

Permabanned
is it without a political agenda?...like most movies these days trying to change the status quo in the younger viewers

I highly doubt it, there will be many token actors of different ethnics even though story may have nothing to do with that choice and oh at least one homosexual and they may even throw in a tranny!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094578/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3 <My dad loved this older cheesy TV show, I swear the Aliens were dressed in black bin bags (think C Block H original cheap sets)

Soldato

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
And this is exactly why people tend to download these shows or watch via a third party. Regional releases for a BBC show whereby the UK is not a launch region is inexcusable and just highlights the politics of money changing hands (most likely).

Soldato
For a BBC series it's not a bad first episode.

They can do costume all day but the BBC CGI can look a bit unconvincing to me and big scenes may suffer from budget restrictions but it's a notch better and I'm sure I'll watch more episodes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom