Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
I keep thinking about swapping our F55 Cooper S for something with a little more practicality and poke even though it makes no sense on any level given that the car is 3 years old, highly spec'd, low mileage and has no outstanding finance.

Perhaps not my favourite colour, but this seems like a good price for a nearly new A35 with most of the boxes ticked - link

EDIT: Nevermind. A brand new one with the same spec is £39,086 from a broker.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
and with the A45s you get the better interior, more power, faster, more dynamic etc etc. but it's OK, because the C Class is bigger :p

To be fair, the A Class only has a better interior as it’s a newer car, C Class will no doubt have the better interior when it gets a full refresh.

daz

daz

Soldato
C43 is 50k before you start adding options

I think a GLC43 is not actually that much different in price to the C43, and it has a bigger boot and will probably retain more of its value. RRP and what discounts are available are a different thing entirely though! The GLC43 also comes with air suspension which I don't think is the case on the C class?

I really love the CLA Shooting Brake, but it's basically the same price as the C class estate which I just find a bit weird. Lots of strange crossover points in terms of the price and performance of different classes of cars at the moment, so it can be hard to pick some models and narrow it down. As with anything actually sitting in a car in person and driving it is the best way to see if it'll work for you. Otherwise you end up like this chap with his GLA! :p

Associate
I nearly bought an a35 earlier this year. 12% discount was easily acheivable on it, and ex-demo dealer cars were going cheap too. Id expect the a45 to be similar. Seems 35 prices have firmed up a little, perhaps due to people wanting a 45... remember its a merc and they have catastrophic depreciation.

also, size wise the a-class is pretty deceptive. the interior is fine for four adults tbh

Soldato
Yes many things are strange about the new CLA and the C Class. For instance the CLA has a larger boot and is a slightly larger car in saloon form. The CLA shooting brake also has a larger boot, with the seats up, than the equivalent C Class...

Soldato
I nearly bought an a35 earlier this year. 12% discount was easily acheivable on it, and ex-demo dealer cars were going cheap too. Id expect the a45 to be similar. Seems 35 prices have firmed up a little, perhaps due to people wanting a 45... remember its a merc and they have catastrophic depreciation.

also, size wise the a-class is pretty deceptive. the interior is fine for four adults tbh

The nearly new A35s do seem a bit expensive at the mo.

If I was to get a new A class, I'm pretty sold on the idea of an A35 over an A45S for the reasons that TW[Fox] pointed out. Our Mini has 189BHP so it's not as if 306BHP in the A35 is just a mild increase. It's pretty hard to even use the Mini's power often because of traffic.

You say that the depreciation is bad, but Merc's PCP offer for the base model A35 has a GMFV of £16,675 (link) after 48 months. Drivethedeal.com give £4,094.50 off the RRP of £35,970 which means the residual is 52%. That seems quite good to me.

Soldato
I'm starting to think about my next car, as my current PCP is up in January, and I'm looking at specs on pre-reg/nearly new E class within my budget. I'm trying to determine if the Burmester stereo is a worthwhile upgrade on the standard ICE. I'll check it out for myself, but I'm just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on it. I love it in my current C class - is it basically the same system in the E?

Soldato
I'm starting to think about my next car, as my current PCP is up in January, and I'm looking at specs on pre-reg/nearly new E class within my budget. I'm trying to determine if the Burmester stereo is a worthwhile upgrade on the standard ICE. I'll check it out for myself, but I'm just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on it. I love it in my current C class - is it basically the same system in the E?

No idea if there are any differences on the Burmester system between the C and E class but I can say the system on the E class is very good and there was an upgrade available with the rotating LED lit tweeters which was supposed to be excellent.

Doing a bit of reading, the system in the E sounds better because it has a different amplifier, don’t know how factually correct it is https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/697691-13-speaker-burmester-system.html

Caporegime
Not sure about C vs. E Burmester, but I have the Burmester in my 2018 E-Class and it's excellent in my opinion, and I consider myself a moderate audiophile.

Aside from anything else, it really improves the interior too vs. the black speaker grills.

I think there was also a ~£3k top of the line Burmester 3D option, which had speakers in the roof lining, fancy tweeters, sub woofers, etc. Not available with the sunroof though, at least in the estate car; but at that price I'd imagine almost nobody spec'd it.

Soldato
The CLA shooting brake also has a larger boot, with the seats up, than the equivalent C Class...
I like the design, but the access looks small to the cla though .. discussion in the BM thread comparing boot/estate litres, but it only gives half the picture,
especially if I can't get bicycles in with the seats down, or, less regularly, a washing machine.
EU specs don't seem to provide the USA , VDA boot measure.

edit : good site https://www.ridc.org.uk/5199
cla/c boot lid width 622/1011 height 681/710 sill height 697/611

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the design, but the access looks small to the cla though .. discussion in the BM thread comparing boot/estate litres, but it only gives half the picture,
especially if I can't get bicycles in with the seats down, or, less regularly, a washing machine.
EU specs don't seem to provide the USA , VDA boot measure.

edit : good site https://www.ridc.org.uk/5199
cla/c boot lid width 622/1011 height 681/710 sill height 697/611
Cheers, I will have a good browse around that site.
Mmm, only has the previous CLA model not the current, which I was referring too...

Soldato
Can see brand new E class estates with 10k+ off as well on broker sites (Broadspeed etc). :eek:

Mercedes have a lot of stock available at the moment and there are deals to be done. I was offered an E220d AMG Line Edition Premium Plus with Driving Assistance Package for £36k last month - that’s £12k off list.

I was torn between a new one and an AUC. If you like PCP, the new one probably makes more sense.

Associate
Had an A class last week, 2019 A180d, seemed pretty much poverty spec, apart from the larger infotainment screen.

It drove very well, was well comfortable and was very economic. Did 76mpg in comfort mode, mostly motorway mind you. Also did 72mpg with a combination of comfort and sport, as I went via some A and B roads on the way back.

The main downsides were the Lane Keep Assist. It braked 3 times, even though I wasn't in any situation that it needed to stop me veering off, and it didn't even warned me before hand. Also no USB port and no proper bluetooth playback. Had to make some calls via Skype and even though I put playback via bluetooth it would automatically disconnect the call as soon as it was connected and request media playback via the music app. No such issue for Messenger though, it treated that as a call so was fine.

Had a 2019 E220d the week before, and although that was more comfortable (albeit it was an AMG specced car), the speakers were woeful. Just 2 tweeters and 2 mid speakers in the front that my mobile phone could probably overpower...

The disappointment with both cars was that neither had adaptive cruise control, or active steering, which I would expect as standard from a 'premium' brand.

Soldato
The disappointment with both cars was that neither had adaptive cruise control, or active steering, which I would expect as standard from a 'premium' brand.
The more premium the brand the more likely you are to need to spend on options to get the basic stuff.
Buy a mid range Kia Sportage and you get everything...step into a standard Range Rover and it's higher quality but lacking gadgets.

Back
Top Bottom