Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
As for Read Dead 2, 4K HDR 60FPS at high, possibly ultra setting, can you imagine the PC (and costs) required to run this at that level.

But... what we don't know yet (and maybe Digital Foundry will add Stadia to their analyses) is whether that 4K is native or upscaled somehow and is the 60fps a locked 60. Interesting times ahead.

Soldato
To those skeptical of Stadia, what will it take for you to give it a go, or is it literally a case of no console/disc, no deal?

For me it would take gaining access to fibre (currently stuck with 1MB/s ADSL2+), and seeing as how this is the message from the BT Fibre checker I'm not holding my breath for it happening anytime soon.

4DQEPPY.png

And before you use the usual OcUK trope of 'move house then', I don't live in the sticks I live in the middle of a large city and still can't get access to fibre of any flavour.

Associate
For me it would take gaining access to fibre (currently stuck with 1MB/s ADSL2+), and seeing as how this is the message from the BT Fibre checker I'm not holding my breath for it happening anytime soon.

4DQEPPY.png

And before you use the usual OcUK trope of 'move house then', I don't live in the sticks I live in the middle of a large city and still can't get access to fibre of any flavour.

lol, why would I ask you to move house for?

Associate
I have just signed up for the Founders edition. I have an Xbox and PS4 but they don't get regular use. I get the resistance in this thread and I think a lot will wait and see how well it works. I really do think that this is the way games will go (I am old enough to remember the resistance to Netflix; kindle etc)

The model works for me. Mainly single player gamer; time poor (and relatively money rich). I now run a Mac Mini as my main daily computer as I love the small form factor and silent running. I have laptops; tablets and TVs all over the house and a quick 200MB VM cable connection. I like idea I can just stop games and pick them up again very quickly when I do want to. No updates; loading times etc.

Also surprised not more being made of the fact that this will make cheating more difficult. If you don't have a client on your machine you can't run an aimbot on it.

Man of Honour
I have just signed up for the Founders edition. I have an Xbox and PS4 but they don't get regular use. I get the resistance in this thread and I think a lot will wait and see how well it works. I really do think that this is the way games will go (I am old enough to remember the resistance to Netflix; kindle etc)

With Netflix you do not get (or at least don't have to get) a clearly inferior product. Game pass is a good comparison to Netflix, but this inherently has physically unavoidable input lag added to the experience. It depends on the game preferences and the sensitivity of the individual as to how much of an impact this has, but it is definitely not Netflix for video games.

Soldato
Hmmm, could you stack the promo code for the sub do you think?

Say two of you bought the founders edition, could you give one another the 3 month code, giving each other 6 months?

Associate
but it is definitely not Netflix for video games.

I didn't say it was Netflix for games. I said I recall resistance to both Netflix and Amazon Kindle as a new distribution and delivery method when they first came out. There still is. Some people prefer physical books; some prefer Virtual. Luckily the market has space for both. As it will here. No one is compelling anyone to ditch their console/PC etc. However for those with different needs and an open mind this is an interesting development.

Soldato
I don't think it will convert many people from PC or Console to Stadia, but it will expand the market overall and bring in a few more casual players and people who were on the edge of buying a console but never quite did it.

I'm very interested from a technological perspective, but not interested in getting it until there's some worthwhile exclusives. Looking forward to some proper benchmarks, be interesting how much more lag there is in Chrome Browser + Mouse/KB mode compared to Controller + Chromecast Ultra mode. As I understand it that's how they made it playable, removing the stack and having the controller connect directly to the server but obviously browser mode doesn't have that advantage.

I actually think the lag is doable, for certain game types. 30fps adventure games that are already laggy (Assassins Creed for example) I bet will be impossible to tell the difference. Picture quality though, 40mbps 2160p VP9 is going to look very rough compared to direct render and will be immediately obvious.

Soldato
Not sure I agree there. 4K YouTube looks indistinguishable (to my eyes) and the Stadia encoder is doing special things over and above YouTube.

Compared to actual 4k output from a console? They look miles apart to me, not to mention the quality will likely be worse as it will have to be real-time encoded - not multipass.

Associate
If only there was the option to wait and see......(although I appreciate that takes all the fun out of such discussions)

I have seen two articles with hands on. One which said could not tell difference between console and Stadia; and one which could. In the latter though they did concede that the internet connection was throttled to 25Mbps.

Back
Top Bottom