*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah I was XB1X Scorpio, from what I've researched it seems like an issue with the thermal paste so there's short term spike that causes the shutdown. People report that replacing the paste fixes it but mine is still under warranty according to MS so will let them sort it rather than opening it up myself.

Associate
So it seems my XB1X Scorpio has an issue, certain games cause it to instantly shutdown with an overheating message despite it not even being warm. This happens even if it's been on for less than a minute and is pretty easy to replicate. It happened in an early cutscene in Borderlands 3 when in high-res mode (but not in performance) and it happens 2-3 seconds into the Devil May Cry 5 intro (thus making that game unplayable).

Anyone else had this happen? Not sure why certain games seem to trigger it, it's almost like there's a sudden CPU or GPU spike that mistakenly triggers the protection. I'm 100% it's not a genuine overheating issue as there is no fan noise at all (and I've had the fans ramp up when playing RDR2 without any shutdowns).

If anyone with a Scorpio could install DMC5 (it's free on Game Pass) I'd be interested to know if it is just me.

For now I'll logged a support ticket with MS so hopefully they'll swap it out.

I've just had this happen to me, started on Sat but its random when it does it. Sometimes I can be playing for 5 mins other times over an hour but it will just switch itself off then on restart come up with the overheating message. Typically was just on the last boss(es) on BL3 and it went off :rolleyes:.

Only thing is my warranty has expired, so has anyone sent their Project Scorpio back to get the overheating sorted out of warranty and if so did it cost?

Associate
I've just had this happen to me, started on Sat but its random when it does it. Sometimes I can be playing for 5 mins other times over an hour but it will just switch itself off then on restart come up with the overheating message. Typically was just on the last boss(es) on BL3 and it went off :rolleyes:.

Only thing is my warranty has expired, so has anyone sent their Project Scorpio back to get the overheating sorted out of warranty and if so did it cost?

I know few with project Scorpio, all required new thermal paste around 14 month stage :(

Associate
I know few with project Scorpio, all required new thermal paste around 14 month stage :(

Its mad companies spend all that time and money on r&d and thermal solutions to keep them "cool", then use cheap thermal paste!?

Oh well looks like I'll have to send it off and see what they charge.

Soldato
Its mad companies spend all that time and money on r&d and thermal solutions to keep them "cool", then use cheap thermal paste!?

Oh well looks like I'll have to send it off and see what they charge.

Agreed with @Dredd the thermal paste is quite an easy change to do, just watch a good "take it apart" video on youtube.

Once you have the screws off, it's put together pretty intelligently and I was impressed with how well it all fit into that tiny box.

Caporegime
Has anyone here bought (or knows anyone) the Xbox One S All Digital Edition? Just wondering if the three games it comes with are already installed on the HDD or come with codes for Xbox Love downloads?

Soldato
Got a X to go with my new OLED, fantastic bit of kit. Gears 5 looked great and played great, with VRR to boot.

Was looking to buy a dedicated uhd Blu-ray player which would have have cost around £150 for a semi decent one. Got a X with 2 controllers and a few games for £240 instead (2nd hand obviously)

Amazed how quiet it is compared to the PS4 & PS4 pro. Can’t even tell it’s on half the time.

Soldato
The last couple of weeks I have noticed in games whatever I'm controlling occasionally moves forwards slowly on its own without pressing the stick on the pad.

Had it happen in BFV, in tanks when Im shooting the tank will start to move forward on its own, also in RDR2 sometimes Author starts to walk on his own.

I'm guessing its my pads stick that's not centred correctly or just worn over time, is it a case of purchasing a new pad?

Associate
The last couple of weeks I have noticed in games whatever I'm controlling occasionally moves forwards slowly on its own without pressing the stick on the pad.

Had it happen in BFV, in tanks when Im shooting the tank will start to move forward on its own, also in RDR2 sometimes Author starts to walk on his own.

I'm guessing its my pads stick that's not centred correctly or just worn over time, is it a case of purchasing a new pad?

It might also be something to do with the deadzone (if that is an option in BFV's controller options) I had a similar issue when trying to totally remove the deadzone on the controller in SWBFII. I have it set to about 8% now and no longer does the character move slowly forward or sideways on its own. Maybe try that as a first port of call.

Alternatively it could just be stick drift, I bought a brand new controller from Microsoft and it had Stick drift. So I sent it back and they repaired it. I think there are some guides online to open your controller to fix it. Some more extreme than others.

Soldato
It might also be something to do with the deadzone (if that is an option in BFV's controller options) I had a similar issue when trying to totally remove the deadzone on the controller in SWBFII. I have it set to about 8% now and no longer does the character move slowly forward or sideways on its own. Maybe try that as a first port of call.

Alternatively it could just be stick drift, I bought a brand new controller from Microsoft and it had Stick drift. So I sent it back and they repaired it. I think there are some guides online to open your controller to fix it. Some more extreme than others.

Thanks, so it's the left stick, do I need to increase or reduce deadzone to see if that fixes it?

Associate
Thanks, so it's the left stick, do I need to increase or reduce deadzone to see if that fixes it?

No worries mate. If you have stick drift and haven't touched the deadzone options then it might be a physical fault with the controller itself. If you reduced the deadzone to zero then increase it slightly. As I said I removed the deadzone straight away in SWBFII so I could get a finer controller response.
I had to increase back up to 8% to remove the issue (thats the recommended threshold in that game). I think there is an issue with the Battlefront II and adjusting the deadzone to 0% itself and not the controller as it is fine in other games. If your controller is still in warranty get in touch with MS support, they will either fix it or repair it but will take around 20 days. Other than that mate I don't know what to suggest unless you fancy trying some of the fixes on youtube.

Soldato
No worries mate. If you have stick drift and haven't touched the deadzone options then it might be a physical fault with the controller itself. If you reduced the deadzone to zero then increase it slightly. As I said I removed the deadzone straight away in SWBFII so I could get a finer controller response.
I had to increase back up to 8% to remove the issue (thats the recommended threshold in that game). I think there is an issue with the Battlefront II and adjusting the deadzone to 0% itself and not the controller as it is fine in other games. If your controller is still in warranty get in touch with MS support, they will either fix it or repair it but will take around 20 days. Other than that mate I don't know what to suggest unless you fancy trying some of the fixes on youtube.

Not touched deadzone settings, its not that bad really, doesn't always happen, which suggests its likely a faulty stick. I might get the new elite V2 pad when its released anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Associate
Not touched deadzone settings, its not that bad really, doesn't always happen, which suggests its likely a faulty stick. I might get the new elite V2 pad when its released anyway.

Thanks for the help.
No worries, sorry it didn't resolve your issue, keen to see what these Elite V2 are like. Wanted the V1 but heard mixed bag of feedback on them, mainly around quality of the grips.

Man of Honour
No worries, sorry it didn't resolve your issue, keen to see what these Elite V2 are like. Wanted the V1 but heard mixed bag of feedback on them, mainly around quality of the grips.
My launch V1 is still perfect, but I'm not sure I'd get a V2 as the next Xbox is likely to come with a V3 with new features.

Soldato
My pads left stick has some stick drift, just wondering if this is covered under warranty, I have got the MS extended warranty plan on my X.

Not sure how it works with pads, I presume its covered as well, but would they send me a replacement pad, I don't want to be left with no pad. If thats the case I might just get a new one myself and then send the broken one back for repair.

Back
Top Bottom