Quest - Is it about to become the one of the top tier PCVR headsets

Soldato
Okay so firstly, hear me out. I'm not an exact Oculus link fan. Initially and even now I think it'll be a subpar experience simply because I don't think a USB C port can out-do a fully powered headsets via usb and direct connection to a display or HDMI port.

It also has a lower refresh rate than the other two headsets and people who are sensitive to refresh rates will be disappointed.

Finally its front heavy so not that comfy.

So,

1. Refresh rate sucks
2. Tracking is inferior to Rift S and Index
3. Its a video decoded passed through so has a lower bitrate so in theory may look a bit worse

However there are two killer features the Quest has which really makes me think this might end up being my favourite PCVR headset.

1. Wire weight - I hate the thick wire on all other PCVR headsets especially if you don't have a device or stand it can rest on. The Quest's wire however is thin and weightless as can be by the looks of it.
2. Black levels - them OLED colours. We all wanted them despite what we have convinced outselves with our Index's and Rifts. We all loved the pitch black immersion and the could forgive the halo effect in Skyrim dungeons for the sheer terror it provided and we all loved the crazy contrast it provided. And the Quest gives them to us.
3. Versatility - finally it can be used wirelessly too for native Quest games but also ALVR and everyone else is trying to find a clear working wireless solution, and I think Oculus will probably release a USB dongle which can do it within the next year or two.

Also a point which is a bit more subjective but I love the old school fit of the Quest.

I was going to play Defector and Vader Immortal episode 2. However I've legit decided to wait on Vader Immortal Episode 2 because I remember playing it on The Quest and Rift S. The Quest version was a mess technically as it really pushed the system to its limits. And the Rift S version was just really grey in parts where things were meant to be black and it detracted. Therefore, I know its weird, but I'm holding out for the Quest Link to be in BETA to see if it'll provide a superior experience.

Someone's going to mention the Vive Pro wireless and I'll say yeah.. that does seem better. I guess this kinda begs the question, would I take a Vive Pro wireless with inky blacks over an Index's grey picture but with superior refresh rate?

Hmmm... anyway thoughts? I think sacrificing a little bit of bitrate for a much lighter almost weightless cable and OLED blacks surely isn't a bad trade off at all? Its not as if we're talking OLED vs FALD here like we do on TVs or monitors. This is literally OLED vs LCD.

Soldato
No, the Quest is never going to become a Top Tier headset. It is what it is, a main stream headset to try and promote mass market adoption.

Soldato
72hz is barf material. The new benchmark will be 120hz+ soon.

If that were the case we'd be hearing about mass returns of the Quest, but the opposite is true, the Quest is selling as fast as Oculus can make them.

I've never felt queasy while playing on the Quest. (I have a Rift CV1 and that has made me feel ill on occasion).

Soldato
The Quest is certainly not perfect, but it is the first step towards an inevitable future. If anyone genuinely thinks the future of VR will always have a £1000+ PC barrier of entry before you even purchase a headset, they are in cloud cuckoo land. Speaking as the owner of a 2080Ti and system more than capable of running a top tier headset to its full capability (and Quest owner), I recognise that as long as there's a PC in the loop (even if PC based headsets eventually do go all wireless) it's always going to hinder mass adoption. What the Quest offers in its standalone package is extremely impressive, and absolutely represents the future of VR, even more so with the upcoming Link functionality. A few years from now, I cannot wait to see what the Quest's successors will be capable of.

Last edited:
Associate
The future of VR / true next gen for me would be:
  • Wireless, all in one unit
  • Wireless lighthouses for complete roomscale tracking
  • Lightweight headset
  • Full range hardware adjustable IPD
  • Bone conduction headphones with option to use your own
  • High PPI OLED display capable of 120hz+
  • Large FOV (over 150 degrees horizontal)
  • Minimal screen artifacts (ghosting, glare, sde etc)
  • SLI support (1 gpu per eye)

Can't see that type of thing being released any time soon but if it was I'd happily drop £2k on it!

Soldato
OP
Well, the tech is clearly available but at a price. Unfortunately the recent jumps in resolution and refresh rate are outpacing it by quite a margin.

You are so right.

I’m really not happy with the refresh rate stuff as I know it will hold back wireless and I don’t think it’s worth it over saying goodbye to the cable

Soldato
You are so right.

I’m really not happy with the refresh rate stuff as I know it will hold back wireless and I don’t think it’s worth it over saying goodbye to the cable

The Quest is technically capable of much higher refresh rates but that would mean it would have to go through the recertification process again.

Back
Top Bottom