31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

Soldato
I've got a WQHD 60Hz monitor and am looking to get something that's 144Hz+

This monitor takes my fancy due to the increased contrast ratio, however the increased response time of pixels with dark content is concerning me

I've used a good VA panel before, and had no issues with it - how is this monitor?

Is there much difference between it and the Freesync version, which is cheaper (other than g-sync). I.e., does g-sync offer me anything extra for the money?

Soldato
I found mine to be great and didn't notice any smearing when limiting it to 120hz (recommended by TFTCentral @Baddass iirc). Great gaming monitor imo, and was recently on off too I gather.

It's on offer, but still quite pricey.

Monitors are in general, though, for what they offer. Not sure I'd want to limit it to 120 Hz though - may look into the newer IPS displays from LG and Asus. Hard to get hold of at the moment from what I can see!

Caporegime
It's on offer, but still quite pricey.

Monitors are in general, though, for what they offer. Not sure I'd want to limit it to 120 Hz though - may look into the newer IPS displays from LG and Asus. Hard to get hold of at the moment from what I can see!

Yeah I think it was £399 BUT I might be thinking of the F. In an ideal world wait for the 27in LG if you can, seems to be worth it. Also a Viewsonic coming soon that uses the same panel apparently.

Soldato
Yeah I think it was £399 BUT I might be thinking of the F. In an ideal world wait for the 27in LG if you can, seems to be worth it. Also a Viewsonic coming soon that uses the same panel apparently.

I think it was the F that was £399 - from what I've seen online, the free sync variant seems to struggle with motion blur more than the g-sync. Not sure if that's because of a hardware implementation or what

Soldato
I've got a WQHD 60Hz monitor and am looking to get something that's 144Hz+

This monitor takes my fancy due to the increased contrast ratio, however the increased response time of pixels with dark content is concerning me

I've used a good VA panel before, and had no issues with it - how is this monitor?

Is there much difference between it and the Freesync version, which is cheaper (other than g-sync). I.e., does g-sync offer me anything extra for the money?

I have the gsync and it is a great monitor to be honest.

Viewing angles are as expected not as good as an IPS, but not particularly bad either. It has decent colours and great contrast ratio out of the box. No worries of IPS bleed or glow etc.

Once calibrated it looks great. 32” I’ve been pleasantly surprised at and is definitely more immersive.

165hz is pretty amazing and I’ve had it for a while now and haven’t noticed any ghosting or smearing in games.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the gsync and it is a great monitor to be honest.

Viewing angles are as expected not as good as an IPS, but not particularly bad either. It has decent colours and great contrast ratio out of the box. No worries of IPS bleed or glow etc.

Once calibrated it looks great. 32” I’ve been pleasantly surprised at and is definitely more immersive.

165hz is pretty amazing and I’ve had it for a while now and haven’t noticed any ghosting or smearing in games.

Awesome, in which case I may have to give it a go and finally retire my PB278Q which has immense pixel response times for an IPS/PLS type display.

Other alternative is the Asus VG27AQ for £499.

Soldato
Awesome, in which case I may have to give it a go and finally retire my PB278Q which has immense pixel response times for an IPS/PLS type display.

Other alternative is the Asus VG27AQ for £499.

The VG is probably a good shout. If you’re used to IPS viewing angles then a VA may disappoint somewhat.

I was tempted between that and a few other monitors but wasn’t sure on the gsync support etc.

Did take a short while for me to adapt but I just use mine mainly for fps games etc where it isn’t too big of a deal. I prefer it to having to put up with IPS glow/bleed on a monitor of the same size etc as well as the increased contrast.

I also got the LG for a good price in like new condition so I am very happy with it for what I paid. For games which is its primary use it is excellent.

Last edited:
Soldato
The VG is probably a good shout. If you’re used to IPS viewing angles then a VA may disappoint somewhat.

I was tempted between that and a few other monitors but wasn’t sure on the gsync support etc.

Did take a short while for me to adapt but I just use mine mainly for fps games etc where it isn’t too big of a deal. I prefer it to having to put up with IPS glow/bleed on a monitor of the same size etc as well as the increased contrast.

I also got the LG for a good price in like new condition so I am very happy with it for what I paid. For games which is its primary use it is excellent.

I can get both the 32gk850g and Asus monitor for about 500 all in. Just not sure which to go for at the moment

Associate
(this is a copy and paste of my overclock.net post)
Hey guys!

Just got the 32GK850G-B and I must say my first impressions were extremely impressed! The panel uniformity is immaculate. My previous monitor was a PG278Q which I have been using for about 6 years so VERY used to it. The PPI is noticeably lower but not offensively so. The extra size is so immersive and the colours much nicer.

I do have a question, however.

I had heard the strength of VA type panels was the contrast and blacker blacks. I've found the complete opposite with this screen. Any dark scene in a game will be .. not dark at all. In a cave in Witcher 3 doesn't look like a dark cave looks like a bluish-grey wash over the top of the screen. The effect doesn't diminish when I increase ambient lighting. Another example is Metro Exodus, when it goes dark I pretty much just have to stop and wait for morning because you can't see ANY detail at all. Even standing back a few meters from the screen at the rear of the room you just see a grey wash. If this is the amazing contrast VA offers then I think I will go back to TN ... IPS glow is a definite no from me. Tomorrow my time (aussie) I will set up the old Swift and the 850g side by side and try to take some shots on my phone to give examples.

Living in a small town in Australia means that I cant go try panels, everything has to be ordered, and places don't take returns unless its faulty. They get around the 'not suitable for purpose' part of consumer law by invoking the sub clause that says if the item is a 'specially ordered item' then it doesn't apply, claiming that every item you purchase from them is a special order. And with my first baby on the way and income tight due to covid, playing russian roulette with thousands of AUD is extremely anxiety inducing.

All that said, is there any OSD settings or colour profiles etc that may reduce this game breaking effect? It seems odd to me that so many thousands of users of VA screens around the world would be happy with dark scenes looking like a sheet of blue paper, there must be something i'm doing wrong.

Cheers guys,

B

Back
Top Bottom