Diplomatic Immunity

Caporegime
You are aware that diplomatic immunity wasn't voted for and it's a custom dating back literally 1000s of years and codified in the Vienna convention in 1961. This isn't some new thing that's allows all the people you think are the elite to go around committing crimes like young aristocrats.

What it does in real terms is prevent diplomats and their female family being sentenced to death in Islamic countries for breaches of Sharia, being executed in Africa for getting in to a car accident or any other of grave punishment for offences that don't exist in the West.

It won't stand forever, the natural law can't sustain this level of corruption before the social contract is completely void. If this person doesn't pay for what she's done, then what should we expect of eachother?

The clock is ticking on how much more society-at-large will take this indignity and contradiction of basic decency to uphold the law. It's not like before when the avenues of communication was slow and unwieldy, the rug no longer exists to sweep things beneath.

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder which will last longer- diplomatic immunity as accepted by more or less every single country on the planet as a means of maintaining diplomatic relations or your hope that the people will rise up and kill their slave masters.

Caporegime
I wonder which will last longer- diplomatic immunity as accepted by more or less every single country on the planet as a means of maintaining diplomatic relations or your hope that the people will rise up and kill their slave masters.

If only things weren't clearly occurring in the last few years (potentially longer) that identified that people were increasingly fed up...

I bet people were REAL happy with the Great Depression/Russian Famine, that they just decided to do nothing about it, lets just hope that nothing happens like that again... That would be unrealistic.

Soldato
You are aware that diplomatic immunity wasn't voted for and it's a custom dating back literally 1000s of years

Yup. And historically the penalty for abusing diplomatic immunity has been severe. One of the Mongol emperors devastated a whole kingdom, killing hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, for the killings of his ambassadors. The scene of the killing of Xerxes' ambassadors in 300 was based on a real event. Two Spartans took it on themselves to apologise in person, knowing they were going to their deaths.

It won't stand forever, the natural law can't sustain this level of corruption before the social contract is completely void.

Turn it around: suppose it were the British wife of a British diplomat in Corruptistan. Would you send her back?

Caporegime
Yup. And historically the penalty for abusing diplomatic immunity has been severe. One of the Mongol emperors devastated a whole kingdom, killing hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, for the killings of his ambassadors. The scene of the killing of Xerxes' ambassadors in 300 was based on a real event. Two Spartans took it on themselves to apologise in person, knowing they were going to their deaths.

Turn it around: suppose it were the British wife of a British diplomat in Corruptistan. Would you send her back?

I would, she ******* murdered someone, no matter what country you're in, that is abjectly wrong. In any case this is between two democracies with similar laws, so bringing in "oh but North Korea" is not an argument, it's a deflection from a crime, how'd you feel if your kid was ******* eviscerated by some French diplomat?

You're answer wouldn't be "oh well", and frankly even if the cerebral argument is sound (diplomatic immunity makes sense), people aren't going to care about that in reality, so it's pandering to an increasingly mistrusted authority, Johnny/Janey noface is just going to read that someone (a foreigner) got away with murder. Perfect breeding ground for nationalist rhetoric.

Feel free to continue arguing the cerebral, it won't change the course of events we're heading for.

Last edited:
Associate
I would, she ******* murdered someone, no matter what country you're in, that is abjectly wrong. In any case this is between two democracies with similar laws, so bringing in "oh but North Korea" is not an argument, it's a deflection from a crime, how'd you feel if your kid was ******* eviscerated by some French diplomat?

You're answer wouldn't be "oh well", and frankly even if the cerebral argument is sound, people aren't going to care about that in reality, so it's pandering to an increasingly mistrusted authority.

Calm down, I'm actually starting to worry for your emotional stability. She didn't 'murder' anyone. She caused the death of somebody through dangerous driving. She has then fled the country causing an international relations nightmare.

It's pretty low that she skipped the country, but it's also pretty common these days for foreign national criminals to disappear back to their home countries and never to be seen from again. It happens, justice doesn't get served. That's no need to start using this awful tragedy as justification for wishing violent revolution.

Soldato
too cynical ? - Good moment for some attempted political capital by Boris - but he can't redress the Zaghari-Ratcliffe incident, and equally he's been too obsequious wrt to Trump, to try and present some authoratitive role now ... he could have just let Raab speak too.

[
Stupid yank was driving on the wrong side of the road apparently
initially in the uk, if you have been driving on the right for many years and have a lhd car, and get out onto the road in the morning, and it is empty, you can have a momentary relapse.
]

Caporegime
Calm down, I'm actually starting to worry for your emotional stability. She didn't 'murder' anyone. She caused the death of somebody through dangerous driving. She has then fled the country causing an international relations nightmare.

It's pretty low that she skipped the country, but it's also pretty common these days for foreign national criminals to disappear back to their home countries and never to be seen from again. It happens, justice doesn't get served. That's no need to start using this awful tragedy as justification for wishing violent revolution.

I'm not wishing for anything, i'm just offering commentary from the perspective of the average easily manipulated person who seems to make up a large proportion of the world. Trust in the justice system rightly or wrongly is pitiful lows, and i'm saying this hardens that view, heavily.

Back
Top Bottom