i7-2600 / 980ti upgrade - please critique!

Soldato
Looking to upgrade in the next few months in preparation for Cyberpunk. Unfortunately I've been a bit out of the loop in terms of upgrades for a few years, so not 100% on what's what these days, but most likely something along the lines of the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £781.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

I will be using my current cooler (Alpenfohn Matterhorn), along with PSU (550w), storage etc.

One condition for the motherboard, is it must have at least 5 SATA connections.

Any suggestions for substitutions? (no particular reason for that RAM other than it's the cheapest 3200mhz 16gb kit atm)

Is the 3200mhz RAM worth going for, or is 3000mhz going to be a better match for the CPU/motherboard combo?

Is there any point in spending the extra for an x470 motherboard? Or is the b450 adequate for the lower end Ryzen? (e.g. what does the x470 give me over the b450?)

Aiming to pick up parts over black Friday/boxing day sale periods, hopefully some decent bargains (*hint hint ocuk* ;))

Also, in terms of the rx 5700xt cards, is the one I've picked a worthwhile improvement over the blower style? (e.g. cooler/quieter).

Thanks all!

Associate
The mobo you selected only has 4 SATA ports on it, so you may want to select another motherboard. You may want to look at something like the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC for a little extra money. It doesn't Ryzen 3000 series from the box but you can update the bios using the bios flash feature.

Everthing else looks fine. 3200MHz is marginally better, most people won't notice but if is for same money then go for it. And anything is better than the blower style 5700xt.

Man of Honour
It has 6 sata ports as it has two upright ones on the bottom left corner like the majority of B450 boards. Stick with the 3200mhz memory or go with the Crucial Ballistix memory that everyone seems to be raving about. If you see faster memory in the sales pick that up instead.

Associate
You do lose two SATA ports on the Tomahawk Max if you use an m2 drive though, as I found out too late. Always check the manual before settling on products LOL

Soldato
OP
Do sata ports really matter though? At most you've got 1-2 M.2 slots and need 1 other sata port.

I have 2 SSDs, optical drive, and a pair of mechanical drives in Raid 1 for stuff like music & photos. I guess I could get a pci sata controller card for the extra slots, but would be easier to keep it all on the motherboard if possible.

The 5700 XT is only 20% or so faster than your 980 Ti. I'm not sure that that's a worthwhile upgrade.

I ended up getting this already :p

It is definitely a good amount faster, I'm getting solid 60fps in pubg now, with higher settings than the 980ti where I was getting 40-55 and occasionally dropping lower, will need to test with some other games for more comparison, but so far can't complain (for ~£250 after selling the 980)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have 2 SSDs, optical drive, and a pair of mechanical drives in Raid 1 for stuff like music & photos. I guess I could get a pci sata controller card for the extra slots, but would be easier to keep it all on the motherboard if possible.

Ahh that's fair enough. I don't have any mech drives in my PC as I moved all that stuff to a Synology NAS

Soldato
OP
So, I will probably be jumping on this tomorrow, depending on what the cpu prices are like.

Looking at the 3600mhz patriot viper ram that's reduced atm, how will the tomahawk cope with this? Is it worth a few £ extra to go for a better board if I'm sticking with the ryzen 3600 (maybe x)?

Back
Top Bottom