• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Soldato
18 cores for $979 is very good
By Intel's standards maybe. In the real world, it's a joke. That's the 1000 unit tray price for a start, and it's $200 more expensive than the 3950X.

Nice to see Intel getting off their high horse and actually lowering prices in the face of competition, but this is all token gesture. You want to actually fight back against Zen 2, Intel? Drop the 9900K to $380 where it should be and take the 3800X head on.

Associate
Some people: Raarrr Intel boo prices!!

Intel: Halves price

Some people: Raarrr still boo!

I think at this point Intel could give CPU's away and come around and clean your house and some would still find something to moan about. What's happening is good for the market so it's all great. Threadripper and 10980XE will trade blows depending on usage so can't go wrong really.

Caporegime
Some people: Raarrr Intel boo prices!!

Intel: Halves price

Some people: Raarrr still boo!

I think at this point Intel could give CPU's away and come around and clean your house and some would still find something to moan about. What's happening is good for the market so it's all great. Threadripper and 10980XE will trade blows depending on usage so can't go wrong really.

Intel is crap and this is coming from someone who has only had intel cpu's for the past 15 years.

Forced socket changes with every generation is a joke.

I'm no fanboy but if AMD can keep using the same socket for 3-5 generations then why can't intel?

I bought a 7600K and then wanted to upgrade to a 8500 or 8400. I had to buy a whole new motherboard. It's just not on. Intel have also used really unscrupulous tactics in the past. I hope they get what they deserve for years to come now. We need a much stronger AMD as intel is already stupidly powerful. We need the tide to turn AMD need money being thrown at them otherwise if Intel do get the upper hand too quickly and then use their power we could see the end of AMD.

Associate
It should be in our interest that AMD gets stronger since it helps with lowering prices as we can see here, but also importantly, it prevents stagnation since competition is what really pushes innovation.

Soldato
Well yeah, because Intel are junk right now. They could slash prices by 90% and that doesn't excuse the endless security vulnerabilities and mitigations stripping performance out, the endless socket changes, the ridiculous heat and power draw from an archaic manufacturing process. So there is still plenty to "moan" about. And while Intel still inflate their prices - and people think it's a good deal - then there's no reason for AMD to price their superior products substantially lower, which means prices stay high.
Threadripper and 10980XE will trade blows depending on usage so can't go wrong really.
Seriously? 10 series HEDT is going to get annihilated by Threadripper 3. Unless you point your $1,000 CPU on $600 motherboard with $400 quad channel RAM at single-threaded applications of course :rolleyes:

Associate
Well yeah, because Intel are junk right now. They could slash prices by 90% and that doesn't excuse the endless security vulnerabilities and mitigations stripping performance out, the endless socket changes, the ridiculous heat and power draw from an archaic manufacturing process. So there is still plenty to "moan" about. And while Intel still inflate their prices - and people think it's a good deal - then there's no reason for AMD to price their superior products substantially lower, which means prices stay high.

That is what you get when a company is the only one in the market though. A headline like "company stagnates and fleeces customers because only one in sector" will not surprise anyone on any business magazine. The pricing is a step in the right direction to where we want to be. It is a fact though that on here, no matter what they do, they will always be wrong because fanboys.

Seriously? 10 series HEDT is going to get annihilated by Threadripper 3. Unless you point your $1,000 CPU on $600 motherboard with $400 quad channel RAM at single-threaded applications of course :rolleyes:

Unless you haven't read any TR reviews you'd know that the 24/32 core TR's are really bad at some things. Down to Windows no doubt in some cases and memory channels but it's an issue. Looking at the new Ryzens there are still some gaps there in comparison to Intel if you don't cherry pick results so it seems logical that will happen in the HEDT sector as well. I hope new TR comes out and smashes the 10 series, makes things easier decision wise, but I don't think it will annihilate it apart from multicore apps that play nice with TR obviously.

Soldato
Unless you haven't read any TR reviews you'd know that the 24/32 core TR's are really bad at some things.
Zen+ Threadripper yes, especially the WX versions because of the whole NUMA thing and memory latency. The Zen 2 design eliminates that problem. Also, what gaps are there to Intel with the desktop Ryzens? Multi core productivity workloads see Intel crushed at all tiers, and that's only going to be amplified on Threadripper.

Hell, even Microsoft seem to be sorting their scheduler out now.

Soldato
Surely you must be deeply aggrieved by Intel pushing weak 6 and 8 core CPUs on the market that will all be obsolete soon?

As I predicted people are saying 8 core will be obsolete soon. Its madness. Quad core is only just becoming mainstream and 8 core will be obsolete soon? Meanwhile none of my games are bottlenecked by my 6 threaded 8600k, am I dreaming?

Conclusion? anything with less cores than the latest x700X ryzen is obsolete and performance per core means nothing its all about the cores.

Back
Top Bottom