BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Haha, sounds like a fair compromise to me :) I get a clear run on the M25 in the mornings, but it's stop/start on the way home so I'm sure it'll average out to low 30s which is easy to live with when you have 374HP available and only do about 10k miles a year.

I've averaged 43MPG in my 2016 B9 A4 190BHP TDi over 29000 miles so the cost difference in fuel won't be enormous (~£500 more per year).

Associate
Yeah it's an amazing engine. I've got the M Performance Power and Sound Kit on it as well. Sounds tremendous and now has about 370bhp. I love my 440i but in hindsight I wish I'd bought the touring. There is still loads of space in mine (it's the Gran Coupe) as it's a hatchback but I like the look of the wagons and that extra bit of utility would have been nice. The new m340i looks absolutely mega.

I think you made the right choice. I had a 340T and it wasn't all that to drive (it was ok). I also had a 420dGC courtesy car for a few days and much preferred the chassis. Both cars were M Sport, my 340 had adaptive and 18s, the 420 had passive and 19s.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you made the right choice. I had a 340T and it wasn't all that to drive (it was ok). I also had a 420dGC courtesy car for a few days and much preferred the chassis. Both cars were M Sport, my 340 had adaptive and 18s, the 420 had passive and 19s.

Ah, I'm on the adaptive 19" and the ride is smooth in comfort but pretty agile in sport. My wife's A3 has the S-Line suspension which is absolutely rock hard. Unbelievably crashy in comparison. My only real issue now is I "kick the car's head in" maybe 3-4 times a year. The rest of the time it's used for practical reasons not fun reasons. :(

Soldato
Is there anything to look out for, or any reason to avoid a 2007 LCI E87 130i?

I'm selling my modified R26 Megane in the next 2 weeks and I'm after something that's fairly sensible for doing the school runs, but that I will still enjoy driving when I get the chance to go out by myself.
I recently sold my 2012 Renault Sport 265 Cup and bought a 2008 E81 130i so I could experience an NA BMW straight six for myself, as my dad had a few when I was a kid. My particular car ticked over 150k miles on this morning's commute. Like others have said the engine makes the car. Mine has a modified 135i back box, which is fun. It could probably do with a suspension refresh and has a leak in the washer system, but mechanically I think they are straightforward and sound if maintained well. Check the history and buy on that!

Any specific questions, let me know. Babybmw is valuable too.

Soldato
I have a fox approved rwd 540i and the best I can get is 43mpg that's swiss roads at 120kph driving like a saint with normal cruise. My average is just north of 22mpg which is slightly worse than my m240xi... They are very impressive engines.
... susbsequently followed a couple of threads extolling the mpg on these and (new for me) castegating the consumption on the 20d 30d engines, not living up to their promise.
140i. Daily, Poor 320D Mpg
on bike listened to a new 320i exhaust note this morning... its not pretty versus an i6, haven't heard the 3 cyclinder.

Associate
In a G30 540i xDrive with 3.5k on the clock I'm getting just under 30mpg over a full tank with a daily commute of ~18 miles town and ~30 miles motorway. That's all in eco pro with ACC on most of the time not driving particularly hard. On a "good" day the trip computer will indicate about 34mpg for a one-way journey.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
How bad are the standard seats in an SE F10? I've seen a facelift 528i with a solid spec that could be a straight swap for the Golf, but it's only got electric height and recline. No lumbar even :eek:
Are the seats total *****, and are there any issues I should look for in the 245 PS 2L turbo (328i/528i)?

Associate
How bad are the standard seats in an SE F10? I've seen a facelift 528i with a solid spec that could be a straight swap for the Golf, but it's only got electric height and recline. No lumbar even :eek:
Are the seats total *****, and are there any issues I should look for in the 245 PS 2L turbo (328i/528i)?

I found the 535i a little underpowered, but I think I was driving an E500 5.5 at the time. I'd hate to think what the 2.0T would be like.

My car doesn't have lumbar, it isn't an issue for me. I think the SE seats aren't too bad, certainly a step up from the E90 SE seats.

Associate

able to comment on this as been driving an estate version for a few weeks. seats aint too bad depending on how you usually sit but I do miss the lumbar support on longer journeys. im lead to believe its not hard to retrofit full electric. interiors are cheap over here in uk don't know about Netherlands.
engine wise im lead to believe its fairly bullet proof. one thing I would say that, is ive driven both the 328i & 528i and in the 5 series the engine does feel more underpowered as well as being worse on fuel. im hoping a tune at somepoint would solve this so unless your getting a good deal id bear this in mind as if its not a big difference id go for a 535i

Back
Top Bottom