• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770K - The CPU that just keeps on giving!

Soldato
Well I've taken the plunge. Goodbye i7 4770K, DDR3, overclock faffing, watercooling and my odd mix of SSDs/HDDs. Hello i7 9700k, DDR4, air cooling, pure SSD system.

I hope the lack of HT won't come bite you in your behind but otherwise congrats on the system, I certainly hope it will live up to your expectations :). Game on!!

Tried a 2600X sys last year and wasn't that impressed overall tbh compared to Intel, I'll give AMD a couple more gens.
I can understand, the 2600(x) while a good chip, could have used a bit more omph under the hood. I owned a non x myself just a short while ago. That said the 3600 is in another league of its own and I have never had such an easy time upgrading. I absolutely love the value you are getting out of it because it is punching about its weight class.

Permabanned
I have a 4790k @ 5GHZ and without messing with the cache ratio to get higher clocks its 5GHZ on all cores when it boosts (still drops to low clocks/voltage at idle).

I had to wait ages on the German delid tool coming back into stock a while back as they sell out in days, i used liquid metal on die.

Associate
My 4770k has been sat at 4.5ghz for the last 4 years. Does anyone on the forum offer a delidding service? I'm limited on temps when trying too push it any further. Thanks

You may not get any more out of it even with a delid.
A lot of 4770Ks have a step at 4.5GHz- many won't do more even with extra volts with good cooling. Mine ran 4.5 for it's entire life. Wouldn't even boot at 4.6 no matter what I did.

Worth a try if you fancy the project though. All chips are not the same, you might have a good one!

Permabanned
My 4770k worked at Asus auto 4.6GHZ profile but as you know the voltages can be high this way so finding a manual profile took a lot of time and no matter what I did nothing would get me 4.7GHZ.

The 4790k was doing same 4.6GHZ as soon as it was installed at launch with far less voltage, then 4.8GHZ with small bump till Delid as heat was main issue to get 4.8GHZ or above even with a Noctua D15S.

I am intentionally being vague with finer details as I cannot remember all the settings but Bios Profiles are backed up to USB Drive.

Man of Honour
You may not get any more out of it even with a delid.
A lot of 4770Ks have a step at 4.5GHz- many won't do more even with extra volts with good cooling. Mine ran 4.5 for it's entire life. Wouldn't even boot at 4.6 no matter what I did.

Worth a try if you fancy the project though. All chips are not the same, you might have a good one!

Mine required a huge voltage increase above 4.5ghz. That was definitely the sweet spot on my chip.

Man of Honour
Same with my 4820K - hits 4.6GHz and then needs lots of voltage - can do 5GHz stable but not at the kind of voltages I'd want to run 24x7. Doesn't seem to matter if that is all core or single core turbo'd (in terms of voltage).

Soldato
OP
A week after saying how great everything is, my Gigabyte Z87-HD3 bites the dust :(

Sad times. Off to the Members Market to see if can get anything to tide me over till I decide what I need from a new rig.

Soldato
OP
Yup, typical! Has it completely died?

System powers on for just over a second, you can hear optical drive spin up momentarily, then power is lost and it "reboots". The Power LED on the case does not fully light up.

During this time, the onboard debug display does not even get chance to show a full code.

In the summer, I had a problem with intermittent power loss, it was odd, happened when there was no obvious power draw. I got a new PSU but the problem went away before I fitted it.

My PC is pretty much on 24x7.

However, this last weekend, we went away so it was turned off for 3 days.

When came back, that is when the problem was apparent. I changed to the new PSU, reset BIOS, RAM is seated as it should, still the same problem.

While we were away, I know there was a power cut. Is it possible there could be a minor surge when power is restored so even if the computer is turned off, it could cause damage? I would expect the PSU to have taken the brunt of any such surge though (Corsair CX750M) but I suppose there is a possibility of component damage but that would be unlucky. Other systems in the house with lesser quality components were OK.

Factoring in the power issue in the summmer, I think If you held a gun to my head, I would say it is a capacitor. I know modern systems have solid caps nowadays but they still fail.

That is my amateur diagnosis anyway :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom