• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Caporegime
As I predicted people are saying 8 core will be obsolete soon. Its madness. Quad core is only just becoming mainstream and 8 core will be obsolete soon? Meanwhile none of my games are bottlenecked by my 6 threaded 8600k, am I dreaming?

Conclusion? anything with less cores than the latest x700X ryzen is obsolete and performance per core means nothing its all about the cores.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting impending obsolescence. Just baiting 4K8K after all the whinging about AMD releasing 6 core CPUs.

Soldato
I mean mainstream as what most PC gaming units have in them, Q6600 was brought by enthusiasts. You be surprised what hardware many people use, on the FF15 forums there was people moaning about SSE3 requirement in the game as they had cpu's that had no SSE3 support.

Permabanned
I mean mainstream as what most PC gaming units have in them, Q6600 was brought by enthusiasts.

Give the quotes where people say "8-core" will be obsolete soon?! :D I wanna read it.

Oh, and for your information:

"The mainstream 65 nanometer Core 2 Quad Q6600, clocked at 2.4 GHz, was launched on January 8, 2007 at US$851 (reduced to US$530 on April 7, 2007). July 22, 2007 marked the release of the Q6700, and Extreme QX6850 Kentsfields at US$530 and US$999 respectively along with a further price reduction of the Q6600 to US$266."

https://www.google.com/search?ei=VI...hUKEwj41aTc4IzlAhXQwosKHTV-B_4Q4dUDCAs&uact=5

Soldato
damn, 5.1ghz all core overclock on 18 core i9- 10980XE- with 360 aio... mmm someone's going to get a paid holiday at Intel for that achievement, and the person that did the last 2 designs to get fired...

looks forward to seeing price of Thread ripper 32 core 3*** and performance

Soldato
Will be interesting for sure to see what they can clock to, that may be 0.001% cpu or it could be more common.
Some great products coming out in the CPU world before Xmas

Soldato
Will be interesting for sure to see what they can clock to, that may be 0.001% cpu or it could be more common.
Some great products coming out in the CPU world before Xmas

thermal solder changed to employees jumping ship to AMD - intel found their bones allow for a high transfer of heat :D

but yeah, q4 to 2020 Q3 should be AWESOME!

Soldato
damn, 5.1ghz all core overclock on 18 core i9- 10980XE- with 360 aio... mmm someone's going to get a paid holiday at Intel for that achievement, and the person that did the last 2 designs to get fired...

Most probably they managed to get into windows with that overclock and aio cooling solution.

I am sure its not a stable overclock. Try running y-cruncher avx-512 stress tests at that clock and I bet their cpu gonna crash.

Soldato
Most probably they managed to get into windows with that overclock and aio cooling solution.

I am sure its not a stable overclock. Try running y-cruncher avx-512 stress tests at that clock and I bet their cpu gonna crash.

All know these aren't going to run AVX, they'll be bought by 'gamers' to run indie games using 2 cores max :D

lol 5.1 on an aio, this from the company that failed to mention they used phase change cooler for 5ghz on a 28 core part.

If it is true, shows how sloppy they have been in the past, really sloppy. So far we've seen they could easily of had 6 cores in before change to 14nm , and now 4-6 extra cores have jumped in, without even removing the iGPU .
Least they are starting to see, but with 7mm EUV, intel best hope it's first shot at 10nm goes okay.. I think it'll be under par and not hit what it should

Soldato

How is that even possible - it makes no sense. Doing 5ghz on the previous gen results in like 400w power draw - far higher than a AIO can cope with. I fail to see how they improved unless somehow 14nm++ is heaps better than 14nm+ ???

For an 360mm AIO to keep a CPU under 100c the CPU would need to pull 250w or less, not 400w.

I bet the "5ghz" is not all core and it's just a 2 second boost or something.

Soldato
How is that even possible - it makes no sense. Doing 5ghz on the previous gen results in like 400w power draw - far higher than a AIO can cope with. I fail to see how they improved unless somehow 14nm++ is heaps better than 14nm+ ???

For an 360mm AIO to keep a CPU under 100c the CPU would need to pull 250w or less, not 400w.

I bet the "5ghz" is not all core and it's just a 2 second boost or something.

I think New 10th gen S CPUs are ++++ node so wouldn't be surprised if its manufactured off that

intels run into that problem, if you can make something so efficient using a production method, and you move to another that should be better, your first attempt is not going to match the quality of production that was perfected almost.

can see why they want to jump onto 7nm as soon as , leave the troubles of 10nm behind and it'll take them 3 gens or so to match current 14nm process

Caporegime
They needed to cut prices massively at about the time Ryzen launched, they just don't seem to care about the consumer space.

Permabanned
^^^ intel are just happy to be outsold by AMD 3-4 times, when a single AMD SKU outsells the entire intel product lineup......... That (arrogance and denial) is the road to bankruptcy.

Back
Top Bottom