Diplomatic Immunity

Soldato
Our special friends showing us how much respect and love they have for the "relationship". Thank hell for this, angel dust, chlorinated chicken, private helathcare, general levels of contaminants in food and all the other wonderful things brexit will have us bend over to them for. Can't wait.

Soldato
Associate
OP
If the situation were reversed then Trump and the American people would be screaming for us to waive diplomatic immunity as they did in 1997 when a senior Georgian diplomat killed a young girl in Washington.
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/11/us/georgia-prepared-to-waive-immunity-of-a-top-diplomat.html

I find it disturbing that our government are not being more vocal about this situation but I suppose we have always kowtowed to the American bully.

Interesting link, I wonder if the US will see what we are asking isn't that different.

Soldato
They should waive immunity. But I very much doubt they will.

If she deliberately murdered someone then I think they might. But when there is a moral balance going on the Americans tend to defend their own, like we should.

Commissario
You are not asking a serious question surely, no way are the Americans going to waive immunity?
Not a chance in hell the US government will waive it, especially under Trump, for decades US government employees have been routinely taken out of any country they've been accused of committing a crime in, even if they haven't had immunity but have simply made it to a US base or ship.

About the only chance is if the woman herself has an attack of conscience and decides to turn herself over.

Associate
When I saw this in the Press, the first thing that came to mind was the Meredith Kercher stuff a decade ago
I remember them interviewing members of the US public about it, and it was a case of it's happened in a foreign country none of those have as high a standard of justice as the US, and therefore she's innocent - it seemed to be a gut reaction/accepted fact
The eventual outcome of that particular case is neither here nor there, but I wonder how much of that mindset influences the US Public in general, and lets the US Government off the hook a little because there's no domestic pressure

Soldato
If the situation were reversed then Trump and the American people would be screaming for us to waive diplomatic immunity as they did in 1997 when a senior Georgian diplomat killed a young girl in Washington.
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/11/us/georgia-prepared-to-waive-immunity-of-a-top-diplomat.html

I find it disturbing that our government are not being more vocal about this situation but I suppose we have always kowtowed to the American bully.

Well remembered and a very relevant point to this sorry situation.

Caporegime

Eh? Have you not watched the news - Raab is having a call over it and Boris has said he'll escalate it to the White House if that doesn't resolve it. What more do you want them to do? Are you mistakenly thinking that because Boris hasn't sperged out on twitter like Trump might then the UK government isn't doing anything about it?

Soldato
Eh? Have you not watched the news - Raab is having a call over it and Boris has said he'll escalate it to the White House if that doesn't resolve it. What more do you want them to do? Are you mistakenly thinking that because Boris hasn't sperged out on twitter like Trump might then the UK government isn't doing anything about it?
Where did I actually say the government were not doing anything about it?
What I said is they are not being very vocal, but you seem to feel they are doing their all but given past record when it comes to dealing with the Americans I do not hold out much hope.

Caporegime
Where did I actually say the government were not doing anything about it?
What I said is they are not being very vocal, but you seem to feel they are doing their all but given past record when it comes to dealing with the Americans I do not hold out much hope.

Why avoid the questions? Boris has been on air talking about this already what are you actually expecting here in terms of being more vocal?

Caporegime
when even boris recognises its wrong, you know its wrong.

He doesn't give a ****, he know's he wont get anything for it, so there's no real issue in being "naughty US, bad US" for a few moments to make him look better. If Boris ever gave a damn about anything other than himself, he wouldn't have wasted our money on invisible bridges, invisible airports, **** buses and taking an "businessperson" for a ride.

He knows the country and media think's it is wrong (which it is), so he's jumping on it for his own benefit and saving face as it would look rather bad if he said nothing. There's nothing genuine about him anymore if there ever was.

If in some strange universe his actions meant the US folded, then and only then will I gain respect for him, as should anyone else.

Last edited:
Soldato
He doesn't give a ****, he know's he wont get anything for it, so there's no real issue in being "naughty US, bad US" for a few moments to make him look better. If Boris ever gave a damn about anything other than himself, he wouldn't have wasted our money on invisible bridges, invisible airports, **** buses and taking an "businessperson" for a ride.
You seem really angry and sweary at the moment. Chill out man.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

He knows the country and media think's it is wrong (which it is), so he's jumping on it for his own benefit and saving face as it would look rather bad if he said nothing. There's nothing genuine about him anymore if there ever was.

If in some strange universe his actions meant the US folded, then and only then will I gain respect for him, as should anyone else.
had to laugh :p

Soldato
Trump is readying up for an election. No way in this world will he give up an American when all he's been blathering on about is looking after the American people.

We're already a laughing stock on the world stage, no way is the American super power going to take a knee to us.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Not a chance in hell the US government will waive it, especially under Trump, for decades US government employees have been routinely taken out of any country they've been accused of committing a crime in, even if they haven't had immunity but have simply made it to a US base or ship.

About the only chance is if the woman herself has an attack of conscience and decides to turn herself over.
Even that wouldn't help. Only the US government can waive her immunity from prosecution, so she could turn up at the local court with a written guilty plea and it still wouldn't have jurisdiction to hear the case.

Back
Top Bottom