• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PS5 AMD GPU will support RT

Caporegime
I am not sure where that comes from. Do a google, the ps3 chip is pretty much a gtx7800 and has higher clocks. The chip in the xbox 360 was a 1900/1950 based chip with some similarities to the 2900. They were high end chips at the time.Most console chips are based on the pc but with some differencies depending on what the platform developer wants. I was running a 1900xtx at the time and it could do 1080p.

Yeah you're right about the 7800GT/PS3.

But they still weren't 1080P consoles.

They could certainly render a 1080P image, but there was basically no games that were 1080p apart from indie games etc.

Soldato
Yeah you're right about the 7800GT/PS3.

But they still weren't 1080P consoles.

They could certainly render a 1080P image, but there was basically no games that were 1080p apart from indie games etc.

They could have been though but console developers tend to push graphics over fps as console gamers tend to not bother about 30fps as much as we do. I think with the hardware they could have done 1080p 60 if they toned down the graphics a little like these days with the ps4 pro. It's not a 4k console but it can do it with the correct settings for 30fps. I think the new consoles could be 4k 60 but my guess is they will push 4k 30 but max details. You are right though as most games i remember were 720p with the odd game being 1080p or i in my case as my tv at the time was a false 1080.

Caporegime
They could have been though but console developers tend to push graphics over fps as console gamers tend to not bother about 30fps as much as we do. I think with the hardware they could have done 1080p 60 if they toned down the graphics a little like these days with the ps4 pro. It's not a 4k console but it can do it with the correct settings for 30fps. I think the new consoles could be 4k 60 but my guess is they will push 4k 30 but max details. You are right though as most games i remember were 720p with the odd game being 1080p or i in my case as my tv at the time was a false 1080.

The PS3/Xbox 360 could have been 4K consoles if they rendered pong, it's neither here or there.

The point being, just because the PS5's "touted" to have ray tracing, doesn't really mean it's got ray tracing in any significant way.

Permabanned
The PS3/Xbox 360 could have been 4K consoles if they rendered pong, it's neither here or there.

The point being, just because the PS5's "touted" to have ray tracing, doesn't really mean it's got ray tracing in any significant way.

AMD-Ray-tracing-Roadmap.png

Associate
This happens every console generation. Marketing how great the consoles will be, then reality hits and grounds everyone.

I expect this round of hardware to be no different.

Looking forward to the impossible tech demos from their marketing dep on the run up to launch.

Permabanned
That means nothing in reality.

The Xbox One was going to utilise the cloud. Look how that turned out.

For utilising the cloud, one needs the perfect internet connection. Not going to happen.
Your point was that they couldn't claim "full ray-tracing" support, which actually AMD does - they are honest and claim partial ray-tracing support via select lighting effects.
Nvidia is not honest - RTX 2080 Ti support max theoretical rate of 10 Gigarays/s which is too little and primitive.

Soldato
4K 30 + RT is a definite. Hell a 2070 can do that today. People forget RT isn't a toggle but rather there's levels to it. Medium RT shadows have a 15-20% performance hit in SotTR which is still a very early & crude implementation. But I don't think they will chain themselves to fixed resolutions anymore, as we can see with Gears 5, Control, COD:MW2 & Breakpoint it's all about dynamic resolution and/or temporal accumulation/reconstruction techniques. That's how they'll sell RT for PS5 & also how they'll sell "8K" 4-5 years later with the refresh.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They'll be taking the hybrid approach.
Hard to take that article seriously or even the whole website when it says:

NVIDIA has had ray tracing capable hardware in the form of the kick ass GeForce RTX graphics cards for close to a year now, and even AMD's next-gen-and-finally-nearly-here Navi-based Radeon RX 5700 series cards launch on 7/7, they still won't pack ray tracing abilities.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66455/amds-new-patent-explains-hybrid-ray-tracing-approach/index.html

Kick ass? Really??

Last edited:
Permabanned
Raytracing effects sounds more honest, But they are tricksters this lot, 4k? Not real either it is checkerboad most of the time. Anything else they fake but use the name to fool people?

I can put Raytracing and 4k on the box and have half the screen 1080p, Half 4k and Raytrace Geralts toe and i can get away with that legally. Heck even PC does not even get this for 2k but you tell that to a console owner....

Back
Top Bottom