The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
I bought a couple of whiskys a while ago and I'm interested in trying differing styles, to get a taste for what I like :)

I've currently got Laphroaig 10 and Balvenie DoubleWood 12 on the go. I think I prefer the Laphroaig having tried them back to back.

I don't mind spending a bit to get something decent, but generally try to get something when it's on offer!

I'm thinking of trying https://groceries.asda.com/product/...-malt-scotch-whisky-american-oak/910002276341 next.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Preferably something contrasting to those I already have.

I'm drinking them neat, should I be adding water?
Personally I am not a fan of any of the official bottlings from Auchentoshan, so I wouldn't recommend it, but I know others enjoy it so it could be worth a try for you. The American Oak is quite heavy with the bourbon influence, so it would be different from what you have had at least.

I'd be looking at something heavily sherried, like a GlenDronach, an unpeated Islay like the Bunnahabhain 12, a Cambeltown like the Kilkerran 12 or Springbank 10, if you are wanting something a bit different from what you have already tried.

As for adding water, it depends on personal taste and also the whisky. Higher ABV whiskies sometimes need some water, sometimes they are fine neat. Personally I'd say play about with it and see what you think, try each bottle at least once with water. A single teaspoon of water can make a huge difference, sometimes it can open up the aroma and taste, others it can emphasise one and dull the other, or can kill both. It can be an interesting experiment to pour two small glasses of the same whisky, add water to one, let them sit for a little while and then compare them. If you are adding water start off small and add more if it needs it, it's like salt while cooking, you can always add more, but you can't remove it. The only proviso I would give regarding the use of water is if someone tells you either that you must add it, or never add it, they are probably best ignored, with taste being subjective whether you will prefer it with water or not is different for everyone.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
my latest pair..both 16's

48828152913_74e9a47b7e_b.jpg

Soldato
So, having just been on a distillery tour, I'm tempted to treat myself to a nice bottle of whisky, up to around the £50 mark.

My previous go to at that price was the Aberlour A'Bunadh, enjoyed a few bottles of that that over the years, but I won't pay the new price.

I'm not normally a fan of anything heavily peated or smoked, but open to most suggestions. :)

Associate
So, having just been on a distillery tour, I'm tempted to treat myself to a nice bottle of whisky, up to around the £50 mark.

My previous go to at that price was the Aberlour A'Bunadh, enjoyed a few bottles of that that over the years, but I won't pay the new price.

I'm not normally a fan of anything heavily peated or smoked, but open to most suggestions. :)
The obvous one would be the Glenfarclas 105, like A'Bunadh it is cask strength wth mainly a sherry influence. It's also usually available for around the £50 mark (£47 on master of malt at the moment). The only proviso with it, and it is the same one as for most of the Glenfarclas range, is consistency. Some years it will be wonderful, next year it's just ok. It can feel like a bit of a lottery at times with them. But they are still decent value so it's not as big of a risk as it would be with others.

Glengoyne Legacy is another sherry bomb, but it's around £55, GlenDronach 15 is another but it's even dearer at about £65. GleenDronach 12 is very good and under budget at around the £40 mark, but doesn't have the same sherry hit as the 15.

Glenallachie is another distillery to check out, it gets really good reviews since Billy Walker took over, and would probably fit with your taste profile, but I haven't got around to trying it myself yet (so many whiskies, not enough time and money to try them all...) so can't give a personal recommendation on it, but I trust most of the people that say it is very good.

Soldato
The obvous one would be the Glenfarclas 105, like A'Bunadh it is cask strength wth mainly a sherry influence. It's also usually available for around the £50 mark (£47 on master of malt at the moment). The only proviso with it, and it is the same one as for most of the Glenfarclas range, is consistency. Some years it will be wonderful, next year it's just ok. It can feel like a bit of a lottery at times with them. But they are still decent value so it's not as big of a risk as it would be with others.

Glengoyne Legacy is another sherry bomb, but it's around £55, GlenDronach 15 is another but it's even dearer at about £65. GleenDronach 12 is very good and under budget at around the £40 mark, but doesn't have the same sherry hit as the 15.

Glenallachie is another distillery to check out, it gets really good reviews since Billy Walker took over, and would probably fit with your taste profile, but I haven't got around to trying it myself yet (so many whiskies, not enough time and money to try them all...) so can't give a personal recommendation on it, but I trust most of the people that say it is very good.

Thank you for the in depth reply, I'll have a look through your suggestions now.

Edit - the Aberlour Casg Annamh came up as an alternative when searching for some of your suggestions, could be interesting for £39, too many choices...

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for the in depth reply, I'll have a look through your suggestions now.

Edit - the Aberlour Casg Annamh came up as an alternative when searching for some of your suggestions, could be interesting for £39, too many choices...
I've not tried that one, maybe someone else can give you an idea of how it is though. If you do get it let us know what you think of it.

Soldato
Currently in the airport and they have a deal on the Oban Nights Watch Game of Thrones whisky.

Wonder if it’s the kind of thing that’d work as an investment if I bought a couple. Worst case it doesn’t and I drink them. I do love an Oban.

At checkout they also gave me a voucher for 20% off another purchase. It would’ve been daft not to pick up another bottle of something!

Associate
Currently in the airport and they have a deal on the Oban Nights Watch Game of Thrones whisky.

Wonder if it’s the kind of thing that’d work as an investment if I bought a couple. Worst case it doesn’t and I drink them. I do love an Oban.

At checkout they also gave me a voucher for 20% off another purchase. It would’ve been daft not to pick up another bottle of something!
People were snapping them all up, spending a fortune on them as possible investments, then Diageo released another ton of the stuff. There's loads kicking about still, so if you do buy it I doubt hanging on to it would be worth your while. I didn't bother with them as most of them were just pretty much rebranded versions of their core range (with extra added colouring) with the exceptions of the Lagavulin, Clynelish and Talisker. I do have a vague recollection of some reviews of the Oban saying it was different enough to be worth a go if you could get it for a decent price.

Man of Honour
This afternoon’s dram - Octomore 6.1. An ultra-peat beast.

bk8gDKi.jpg

The nose is not as aggressive as some of the port charlotte’s I’ve had, which is interesting as it’s basically the whisky renowned for having the peat dialed up to 11. Has that slight ‘toasted bread’ nose rather than full on ‘peat war!’.

In the mouth though... all the peat. Wow does it stay with you. It’s like, you drink it, swallow... and it’s there in your mouth minutes later. Extraordinarily warming and tongue numbing. Like falling mouth open into a bomfire. It’s fairly complex but doesn’t have the breadth of flavours like some of the other peaty ones I’ve had. Sort of like - I am this thing and I will punch you in the face.

Fairly boring of me to say, but I really like it. Strong and long... like an Andrex bog roll... but not soft :)

Also, not drinking today but certainly one my favourite whiskies if not my favourite at the moment is...

KivwnTz.jpg

^^^ certainly the most complex flavours I’ve had. Absolute must buy.

Man of Honour
Since winter is coming and Christmas around the corner, recommend me a bottle to warm me up.

Budget £100. Open to most Flavours. Something complex but smooth perhaps? Thanks
Smokey / peaty or not?

If you want some peat, then I have really enjoyed the Smogen 8 year old (photo above). Very flavoursome indeed and not so much burn as others. Awesome nose. Do note it’s 50cl not 70cl, if that bothers you.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/smogen/smogen-8-year-old-2011-whisky/

If you want not-smoky I have been barking on about the JJ Corry ones for a while. The Flintock is absurdly smooth / easy to drink but 50cl whilst the Gael (cheaper and 70cl) has loads of citrus / tropical fruit (!) notes.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/jj-corry/j-j-corry-the-flintlock-whiskey/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/jj-corry/jj-corry-the-gael-whiskey/?srh=1

@beachBOYken did you try the Gael yet (I recall you got a bottle?). If so interested to hear your thoughts.

I’m conscious I’ve been buying things and then recommending people buy them without any real authority, but all of the above are ‘highly rated’ on websites and I like them *shrug*

Soldato
@beachBOYken did you try the Gael yet (I recall you got a bottle?). If so interested to hear your thoughts.

I’m conscious I’ve been buying things and then recommending people buy them without any real authority, but all of the above are ‘highly rated’ on websites and I like them *shrug*

Oh yes, its very nice, thanks for recommending it. I have only had a few glasses of it so far. Malt review mentioned about ripe bananas on the nose, I get that as well and lots of citrus notes, It's a very interesting whisky. Sorry I can't give much more detail on it as I'm often useless at distinguishing the different smell's and flavour's, but as you say when it comes to whisky, if its nice and you like it that's the main thing.

I enjoy seeing your posts with new whisky, although some are out of my price range.

Associate
If you're new to whiskey, it's suggest going Irish to start with as it's not a harsh. Red Breast is a great starter and then move on to those suggested.
Aimed at @Phreaky the OP in the GD thread today.

I'd like to add, as a Scotsman living in England, I tend to find the English palette generally leans more towards the Hebridean/Northern Isle offerings which are more smokey/petey but the Scottish palette prefers the single highlight malt.

OP, YMMV.

Cheers,

S..

I'm not a very experienced drinker but I find smokey offerings more pleasant (and I live in England as well). By the way, any tips on storing these? My friend advised me to check info about Nexo coolers and not store my beverages inside a simple fridge. Any thoughts?

If you're new to whiskey, it's suggest going Irish to start with as it's not a harsh. Red Breast is a great starter and then move on to those suggested.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm glad I've stumbled upon this thread. I have plenty of time to prepare for the long weekend and try some of these.

Soldato
Any personal reviews/thoughts on Highland Park's older expressions. I got a bottle of the 12-year-old, as a birthday present and love it. I'd like to maybe try their 18-year-old but it doesn't get that many favourable reviews on websites. Any suggestions, as they seem to have an extensive product range.

Soldato
Current inventory

Laphroaig quarter cask nearly gone.
Jura 10 year old gone.
Talisker 10 year old gone.
2 bottles of Haig Club gone, 1 sat in the cupboard, but I'm going off it. Drinking it out of necessity.

Anything that's lovely and drinkable going cheap at the moment? I don't mind peaty or not, love both. Looking for £20 - £30 mark.

I've been thinking about trying the Auchentoshan for a few months, so maybe worth a go for £20 at Asda?

Associate
Any personal reviews/thoughts on Highland Park's older expressions. I got a bottle of the 12-year-old, as a birthday present and love it. I'd like to maybe try their 18-year-old but it doesn't get that many favourable reviews on websites. Any suggestions, as they seem to have an extensive product range.

It's decent enough but very over priced now. Think of it as a much smoother 12 at four times the price. A D Rattray's Orkney 18 offers much better value https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ad-rattray/cask-orkney-18-year-old-a-d-rattray-whisky/

Back
Top Bottom