**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Caporegime
There's a bit in MKBHDs interview with Satya Nadella where Satya talks about MS needing to be at the front for hardware now and not just software. Basically saying it's great that there are manufacturers and vendors out there designing and creating hardware to use their OS and services but MS itself needs to lead on the innovation of hardware etc etc.

I think the same can be said about Google too. Personally my 2XL is awesome, the battery has been great the past 2 years, the camera has been more than capable in nearly all situations I've used it etc. But the 4, at the current specs and the rumoured price hardware wise I just feel it won't justify the cost or fill me with a real intrigue. Now I'm not saying like others that it needs the latest bleeding edge Snapdragon or 12gb of ram, but they should be trying to lead the charge on areas like battery tech or displays. I'm sure the facial unlock will be good but it's not going to be so mind blowingly fast that the average user is going to forget about the iPhone (I know it didn't really, but they think it did) having it first and be amazed at what Google are doing. Or that 'premium' feel iPhones are always lauded as having.

I know there's Soli but what's been leaked so far has been pretty underwhelming. I can't think of a situation where my phone would be on a table and I'd need to wave my hand in the air to change tracks. If I'm listening to music via my phone it'll be in my pocket when I'm walking. If I'm at a desk or table and in listening to music I'll be on a laptop. Sure it might be cool and there will probably be an interesting thing or two you can do with it but it's not like wowowow that's amazing.

Tldr: great software deserves great hardware

I'll most likely wait until black Friday when it's £200 cheaper than launch price.

Soldato
I think the same can be said about Google too. Personally my 2XL is awesome, the battery has been great the past 2 years, the camera has been more than capable in nearly all situations I've used it etc. But the 4, at the current specs and the rumoured price hardware wise I just feel it won't justify the cost or fill me with a real intrigue. Now I'm not saying like others that it needs the latest bleeding edge Snapdragon or 12gb of ram, but they should be trying to lead the charge on areas like battery tech or displays.

I agree with you here. The average person wont care about the CPU or RAM, but tell them it will last 5 more hours and that's quite big. I think Apple did well in this respect.

I can't think of a situation where my phone would be on a table and I'd need to wave my hand in the air to change tracks.

I definitely can. I listen to podcasts on a sleeper timer as I go to sleep. When they start an advert, I would love I can wave my hand over my phone to skip. It's a pain having to turn the screen on and find the skip button.

Associate
Tldr: great software deserves great hardware

Curious as to what is great about the software? It's a buggy mess as it stands. I have to say looking back over the last 2 years my Samsung s7 edge was more reliable and less plagued with issues despite the fact that everyone loves to do down Samsung's bloated software. My Pixel seems to go through the spell of feeling like it's on a beta OS every 6 months and then ok for the next 6 months, rinse and repeat.

A lot of Google's software is very good I agree but this is available on any other android phone or even on iOS but as for the OS itself (Pixel Android) I'm struggling to see anything special about it. Shame really as at one time I actively seeks out nexus phones for their superior experience but that is not the case anymore, other manufacturers have caught up and then some.

Now I shall just wait for the comments saying I'm a moaning git while denying that the pixel line has any problems at all :D

Soldato
Now I shall just wait for the comments saying I'm a moaning git while denying that the pixel line has any problems at all :D
*wave*

Pretty sure this thread is titled "People wanting the Pixel 4?". Yup, it is. I just checked. If the phone or Android is not for you I don't see how it's difficult to just scroll on past. Getting real tired of thread notifications to find someone whinging about something. Ironic, I know :p

Not saying there are no problems, there are always problems with everything in life but *shock*horror* everyone is different and sees different things as problems or not problems so for those of us due an upgrade and looking forward to a new phone and actually like/enjoy the Pixel line, leave us be. Find another thread to moan in :D

Soldato
Surely the answer to "People wanting the Pixel 4?" can be 'yes' or 'no', along with reasons. I don't see why the thread should be reserved for Pixel enthusiasts to say how 100% great the product is.

Soldato
How's this? :p

Based on previous experience of the P3 XL, I'm quite interested in the P4 - but will unlikely pick it up as it doesn't seem to offer that much more over the P3. Also, this time last year the P3 camera moved things on quite a bit - I don't personally see the same big jump this year. Soli and Face unlock are too gimmicky to me.

I'd also be a little concerned on quality - both myself and my wife have had to have replacement devices from Google in the first 12 months.

Soldato
You know full well those are not the comments I was meaning, those are perfectly fine. There is a lot of talk just bashing Android in general and talking about other phones interfaces etc. Whatever, carry on. I was hangry when posting anyway so I apologise for my outburst :p

Associate
It's a discussion forum so sometimes that means people might have a different opinion to the status quo, as it were :)

I'm actually more upset as I wanted to like the pixel based on my experience with previous Nexus devices but my experience has been disappointing so that is the reason why I am updating on this thread. Had my 2xl been as good as I hoped when I bought it just under 2 years ago then this would have been a no brainer. However if they're going to insist on charging flagship prices for hardware that doesn't quite hit the mark along with software that is less than polished / reliable then I'm finding it a tough sell; at this stage it's very much coming down to price. At 35 quid per month it would be a good deal but I have the impression more like 50 quid a month is going to be the asking price.

As for the android bashing last time I checked I am bashing the PIXEL version of android so... :p I'm glad that some can see I have a point, or at very least, a right to reply...

Soldato
Latest rumours are that we might see a 5G P4. I'm quite tempted by this but I hope it doesn't have superior specs to the standard P4.

Soldato
Well I am still looking fwd to the 15th. Let's see how it pans out and price points and then hands on full reviews.

I am still hopeful those price leaks accidentally got doubled :D

Soldato
Well I am still looking fwd to the 15th. Let's see how it pans out and price points and then hands on full reviews.

I am still hopeful those price leaks accidentally got doubled :D

Me too on the last point, but it has put a dampner on my enthusiasm to upgrade from the P2XL. Either way, I think I will wait for it to be discounted. Other then the battery starting to show its age, the 2 still impresses me with the quality of photos.

Same here. I certainly hope they won't make it more expensive then P3.
Don't forget the pound buys you less dollar every day. If they make it the same dollar as last year, it'll be more expensive in pounds this year. I can't see this changing. Us tariffs making things more expensive. Weak pound. I'm doubtful we will seeing a price we are happy with. Especially not at launch any way

Soldato
Definitely wouldn't buy one at launch, I did last year - by the time the pre orders shipped it was nearly black friday and there were really good deals on contract as well as quite a bit knocked off on the Google store.

Back
Top Bottom