• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PS5 AMD GPU will support RT

Soldato
wipeout on ps3 was 1080p 60fps

Yea it was definitely capable depending on what the developers wanted to produce. Black ops 4 on the ps4 pro is 4k 60 to my surprise but the graphics ain't great to get there. Forza horizon 4 is 4k 60fps on the one x and a really good looking game.

Last edited:
Soldato
They said it was possible due to the nature of racing games and particularly wipeout. You only need to render what you can see, effectively a tube of scenery around the camera. Because its so fixed you can optimise the night away and acheive resolution and FPS targets in a more straightforward manner. Not to say it was easy i'm sure it wasn't.

Soldato
will it have freesync?
<shrug> One of the reasons my PS4 pro is gathering dust and got an XboneX is that. Used it with the 55KS7000 with Freesync in the bedroom and with the XL2730Z in my office.
Is PS5 doesn't have Freesync going to be the first Playstation I wont buy since 1996.

Also MS on XBX is less rigid on specs. Has games running on 60fps 4K and doesn't give crap if they cannot run on Xbone S/vanilla. Sony has hampered the PS4 Pro to make it bit better than not too much than the standard PS4.

Soldato
<shrug> One of the reasons my PS4 pro is gathering dust and got an XboneX is that. Used it with the 55KS7000 with Freesync in the bedroom and with the XL2730Z in my office.
Is PS5 doesn't have Freesync going to be the first Playstation I wont buy since 1996.

Also MS on XBX is less rigid on specs. Has games running on 60fps 4K and doesn't give crap if they cannot run on Xbone S/vanilla. Sony has hampered the PS4 Pro to make it bit better than not too much than the standard PS4.

Half agree. I use my ps4 pro way more than i would touch my one x mainly because Sony just knocks them out of the park game wise and also because all my mates are ps away from the pc. I would have thought though that one of the first tick boxes of the ps5 has to be freesync.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am not sure where that comes from. Do a google, the ps3 chip is pretty much a gtx7800 and has higher clocks. The chip in the xbox 360 was a 1900/1950 based chip with some similarities to the 2900. They were high end chips at the time.Most console chips are based on the pc but with some differencies depending on what the platform developer wants. I was running a 1900xtx at the time and it could do 1080p.

The funny thing is the PS3 on paper has nearly double the GPU power and it has exactly double the CPU power when compared to the Xbox 360.
Yet tons of games look and run better on the Xbox 360.

Perfect example of developers catering for the lower common denominator

Caporegime

Neither vendor will release a game that doesn't work on the base spec.
And the Xbox one has absolutely no exclusives to it bar the rare replay at the moment
My Xbox one has barely been touched because it's library is shocking. Whereas I've just bought three playstation 4 exclusives the other day

The Xbox one Xs only saving grace is the Xbox 360 library

Caporegime
The funny thing is the PS3 on paper has nearly double the GPU power and it has exactly double the CPU power when compared to the Xbox 360.
Yet tons of games look and run better on the Xbox 360.

Perfect example of developers catering for the lower common denominator

But the flip side of this is the PS3 had the better looking exclusives. So it was better when games were built for it

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No chance of me getting an Xbox when pretty much all those exclusives will be available on pc anyway. Will be getting a PS5 for sure.

Now that we know that the PS5 won’t be out for another 12-14 months, I am going to wait for the 2020 OLED TVs to come out and see what they have on offer. Unless the LG 55” C9 drops to close to grand in the mean time.

Soldato
No chance of me getting an Xbox when pretty much all those exclusives will be available on pc anyway. Will be getting a PS5 for sure.

Now that we know that the PS5 won’t be out for another 12-14 months, I am going to wait for the 2020 OLED TVs to come out and see what they have on offer. Unless the LG 55” C9 drops to close to grand in the mean time.

I use my Ps4 on my 4k hdr monitor. Looks the business but mainly because i have an xim 4 that allows me to use keyboard and mouse in games where it suits. It's not perfect by any means but couldn't do that on a couch. If the new consoles have native support for it then it will be a must to use my desk and monitor.

V F

V F

Soldato
It was closer to a GT 7600 IIRC

The PS3 was not a 1080p gaming machine.
It might have been 1080P for the very very odd game, but certainly anything like uncharted was very much 720p

The Last of Us still looks incredibly crisp for the PS3 on OLED and Plasma, you'd honestly think it was 1080 until you stop moving. Then you can see some of the jaggies.

Caporegime
With a £1000+ GPU, that is solely dedicated to graphics being unable to do decent ray tracing at high resolutions, how can anyone in the world possibly imagine that a £400 console will be able to?

Soldato
With a £1000+ GPU, that is solely dedicated to graphics being unable to do decent ray tracing at high resolutions, how can anyone in the world possibly imagine that a £400 console will be able to?

It'll likely be more than £400 and without the Nvidia tax on it and Sony expecting a loss for the first year or so on each console, it's possible.

Soldato

considering that the console is using a different approach we just cannot estimate how it's gong to run something we've never seen yet

I don't think we can look at Nvidias performance and try to estimate AMDs off that.

for all we know AMD May have found a revolutionary new way of handling ray tracing without the massive performance hit

Soldato
considering that the console is using a different approach we just cannot estimate how it's gong to run something we've never seen yet

I don't think we can look at Nvidias performance and try to estimate AMDs off that.

for all we know AMD May have found a revolutionary new way of handling ray tracing without the massive performance hit

I'm sure RT will ALWAYS take a performance dip, it's probably about cramming more computational power into a chip to offset the performance hit.

Back
Top Bottom