Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
Have they made any significant changes with the scirocco during it's 10 year life? Always liked the scirocco but isn't based off like the mk5 golf? which is a pretty old platform especially when the scirocco's eol was 2018

Associate
Have they made any significant changes with the scirocco during it's 10 year life? Always liked the scirocco but isn't based off like the mk5 golf? which is a pretty old platform especially when the scirocco's eol was 2018

The infotainment setup improved on the later ones - the original had the older RNS based unit but later ones like my colleague's R had a MIB based unit similar to that in a MK7 Golf. Not sure if much else changed.

Soldato
All Golfs bar the S have ACC as standard and have done for years.

Which makes it all the more annoying that its a £300000000000000000000000000000 option nobody ever ticks on BMW and Mercedes.

Do you know if seat leon fr have Adaptice cruise control as standard (2016/2017) ? I know theyre based on the golf format but it seems to infrequently come up on autotrader

Similarly, do people recommend the DSG gearbox? Id be looking at 2016/2017 circa £10k models (i know 2017 models are facelift)

Last edited:
Soldato

Nothing massively significant but they upgraded the 2.0T engine. Originally in 2009 it had the MK5 GTi 200bhp one and later models (2011 onwards IIRC) are fitted with the MK6 GTi 210bhp version.

I really liked my 2009 Scirocco. Would definitely recommend one!

Soldato
Nothing massively significant but they upgraded the 2.0T engine. Originally in 2009 it had the MK5 GTi 200bhp one and later models (2011 onwards IIRC) are fitted with the MK6 GTi 210bhp version.

I really liked my 2009 Scirocco. Would definitely recommend one!

I really like the scirocco always have, i'm currently eying up the 1.4tsi polo/golf/leon/scirocco, wildcard 1.8 polo gti

I'm after a commuter car with a good auto (Not one's that suck the power out of the engine, i'm looking at you Honda), that'll easily do 40+mpg, currently in my 2.4l Honda Accord manual I have to be very very eco to get 35+ and its really tiring doing it, I'm after a car I can drive normally or slightly on the sensible side and get 40+ mpg, as well as having decent poke when I feel a bit frisky down some B roads.

I think the polo wins it for me as its the lightest out of the list, as a google seems to suggest from other owners it fits the bill.

I'm also intrigued by a 2015 era 1.8 Polo GTi, Anyone had one and tell me their experiences with it, Specs seems to suggest very decent economy figures with the very decent performance to boot.

cheers

Soldato
I'd be more inclined towards the scirocco if you're ok with 2 doors and only 4 seats. Looks much better than a standard hatch but it's very nearly as practical.

Soldato
Anything with a 1.4TSI will have the crap dry clutch 7 speed box

Not as good to drive as the wet clutch varieties and not as reliable either

That's a shame as I kinda have my heart set on a car with DSG as i'm sick and tired of a clutch pedal in stop start traffic every morning, I refuse to have a car that can do 7s to 60 in manual form, and then the auto suck the life out of it by increasing it to 10s, Honda is terrible for it,

So what about the 1.8 Polo GTi? Has that got the better box? Does the 1.8 and 2.0tsi Seat Leon have the better box also? As I've noticed the Leon's are essentially the same as VW cars (I actually personally like the look of the Leon over the polo/golf) but it's a little bit cheaper.

Soldato
That's a shame as I kinda have my heart set on a car with DSG as i'm sick and tired of a clutch pedal in stop start traffic every morning, I refuse to have a car that can do 7s to 60 in manual form, and then the auto suck the life out of it by increasing it to 10s, Honda is terrible for it,

So what about the 1.8 Polo GTi? Has that got the better box? Does the 1.8 and 2.0tsi Seat Leon have the better box also? As I've noticed the Leon's are essentially the same as VW cars (I actually personally like the look of the Leon over the polo/golf) but it's a little bit cheaper.
I don't think you get the wet clutch boxes until the 2.0tsi or 2.0tdi as a general rule

Soldato
Anything with a 1.4TSI will have the crap dry clutch 7 speed box

Not as good to drive as the wet clutch varieties and not as reliable either

Is it really that bad? I've driven a 1.4T DSG-7 speed Golf and if anything the changes are smoother than my 2.0T DSG-6 speed Golf? I never had a chance to push it much though so maybe it struggles when the revs and higher and might not stand up to being driven hard over time like the wet clutch variant?

Soldato
They shift fine but they're not as 'switched on' if you like and can be more prone to being caught napping. These are the sort of DSG that has people complaining of hesitation at roundabouts etc.

They also suffer from more reliability issues, personal opinion is that the dry clutch configuration can't withstand long term 'auto behaviour' like creeping in traffic as well as the wet clutches.

If you're not getting smooth changes in a wet 6 though, it might be worth thinking about having it serviced.

For someone happy with 'an auto', they're decent enough to drive but for someone specifically looking for a 'good auto', they're certainly not the high point of DSG.

Associate
I have a mk5 Gti dsg and a 2018 1.4tsi Touran dsg and find the Touran more jerky and indecisive. Had a 2016 GTD dsg and that was fine, 1.2 tsi Dsg Yeti that was awful. With the Touran I turn stop start off and leave it in eco, seems less jerky then.

Soldato
I haven't had much experience with DSGs, only ever driven a car with it once and that's a fairly recent Tiguan r-line 2l diesel, like an 17 plate, and the shifts were seemless, you never really notice it at all, and the launch control was pretty fun also, quite quick for a big ol bus.

So ideally i'm looking at cars with the 2l TSI engine, In that case the 2018 Leon is looking to be a bit more appealing, I much prefer the look to it over a Polo/Golf, and its cheaper than a VW with the same engine to buy, Plus I imagine the engine is probably much more fuel efficient than my Accord due to weighing much lesser than 1500+KG and being more modern.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
They shift fine but they're not as 'switched on' if you like and can be more prone to being caught napping. These are the sort of DSG that has people complaining of hesitation at roundabouts etc.

They also suffer from more reliability issues, personal opinion is that the dry clutch configuration can't withstand long term 'auto behaviour' like creeping in traffic as well as the wet clutches.

If you're not getting smooth changes in a wet 6 though, it might be worth thinking about having it serviced.

For someone happy with 'an auto', they're decent enough to drive but for someone specifically looking for a 'good auto', they're certainly not the high point of DSG.
This, basically. The 7-speed DSG in my 1.4 has seamless shifts, etc and is very smooth whilst on the move.
Setting off, especially from roundabouts, etc. is a rather jerky affair. The gearbox is slow to react and not particularly intuitive. It's obviously more responsive in S mode, and also keeps the car in 2-cylinder mode more often as it holds the gear above 1800rpm unlike D.
It's not a bad 'box by any stretch of the imagination, but it's no 8-speed ZF.

I have to say that coupled with the auto hold, it can be a complete pig. Shame.

Back
Top Bottom