Windows 10 & CHKDSK

Capodecina
Soldato
MoBo = Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, RAM = 2 x 8Gb, 1TB data disk.

For a couple of years now I have been running 64 bit Windows 7 on a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD without ever encountering any problems.

Having grown weary of being pestered by Microsoft and out of curiosity I recently added a 120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD to which I copied the Windows 7 system before updating with Windows 10. By means of the [F12] key I can now select which system I want to boot.

On two recent occasions I have noticed that CHKDSK has been invoked when booting after having shut down Windows 10 - is this a known problem?

I always shut down Windows (7 or 10) using the prescribed method, not with the Big Red Switch and no disk errors are ever detected.

Incidentally, as an aside, I believe that Windows 10 will attempt to "defragment" disks while idle. I know that this practice is undesirable with SSDs. How do I tell Windows 10 NOT to defragment - EVER!

Soldato
1. Windows 10 - does not defrag. it detects if you have an SSD or not & runs TRIM/Defrag depending on what it finds.

2. never had that issue might be working checking the datta with CHKDSK

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I gather that it is something to do with "Fast shutdown - fast startup" which appears to be a defaulted feature of Windows 10.

It seems that Windows 10 doesn't actually shutdown altogether, it goes into some sort of hibernation state and doesn't dismount the disks.

Soldato
Not sure if relevant but if i take a hard drive out of a customers w10 pc and put it in my w7 machine to scan etc then check disk will try to run on it?

If i allow it to run then when drive is put back to w10 pc it will repair errors also?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I have virtually never bothered to boot into Windows 10, being quite happy with Windows 7 (for the rest of 2019).

However, the other day I had to boot Windows 10; when I "shut down" Windows 10 to boot Windows 7, the system once again went through the CHKDSK routine. Unfortunately on this occasion, something happened to my Windows 7 partition and the system would no longer boot.

Fortunately I had a recent image copy (Acronis) of my Windows 7 system partition which I restored and was more or less back to where I had been before.

This particular piece of Windows 10 silliness (which can also cause "issues" with Linux) is apparently known as "Windows 10 Fast Startup" and it is enabled by default - I will disable it!

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Just do a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD.

Throw away your hard drives, job done.
Are new SSDs available perchance from any popular hardware suppliers? ;)

ps - Windows 10 is installed on a M.2 card and as it happens I have now overcome the problem . . . yet again :(

Back
Top Bottom