Best Windows Apps

Associate
Hey guys

Long time reader, first time poster.

I like to ask the question every now and then. There's a million articles online that ranks the best apps but not sure who to believe and who have been paid to rank in a certain order.

I'm interested in:

1) antivirus
2) firewall
3) system optimisation/maintenance
4) password manager that can sync with android
5) backup partition creator.

I dont mind paying for good software and/or to remove ads.

Thanks in advance

CF

Associate
1, antivirus. Well the built in windows virus checker is ok but it is not .. by a long way.... a single product solution. You should back it up with Malwarebytes which imho is one of the best security apps out there especially in active mode (ie always checking on)
2, Windows own one is fine, for the network i used pfsense and its own firewall ect which is better than an isp's router firewall.
3, nothing beats experience. If you dont have that then dont fiddle with settings. Do not use optimisation/driver or maintenance software at all.
4, Google sync built into chrome is good as is lastpass.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the insightful comments guys.

with respect to something for system maintenance and optimisation, I was using advanced system care pro before a recent factory reset. I could definately tell a difference with/without it.
Do you guys think I'm better off without?

Thanks again

Associate
Driver software is good after a clean re-install, and youve manually installed all your drivers. Theres always updates to some hardware. Then uninstall the software.

Software for tweaking is highly recommended too - turning off parts of windows, changing windows settings etc. This has a big performance boost, but could be done manually for free if you know what to do.

Context, i have done this for 19 years, with low or mid pcs and performance always improves by a substantial amount.

Capodecina
Soldato
Every review I read suggests that Kaspersky is the best Anti-virus on the market; unfortunately it comes from Russia and its reputation has been damaged (probably by the USA). I stick to AVG Free and keep well clear of any dodgy sites, emails, etc.

Oh yes, and I make frequent backups ;)

I am very dubious about password managers - who managers the managers? I believe that it makes more sense to write them down and stick them to my office wall - I should probably look into something, I believe that you can install a password manager on a USB? I will have to look into that.

Soldato
1, antivirus. Well the built in windows virus checker is ok but it is not .. by a long way.... a single product solution. You should back it up with Malwarebytes which imho is one of the best security apps out there especially in active mode (ie always checking on)

Or just use Windows Security and not be stupid on the internet. :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice fellas.

Software for tweaking is highly recommended too - turning off parts of windows, changing windows settings etc. This has a big performance boost, but could be done manually for free if you know what to do.

Context, i have done this for 19 years, with low or mid pcs and performance always improves by a substantial amount.

Any recommendations in terms of apps? I dont mind purchasing something provided it doesn't break the bank. Or do you recommend manually tweaking over a one click set it and forget it solution? If yes, would you be able to point me in the right direction of some guides?

Many thanks

CF

Permabanned
everything apps can do mentioned is built into windows. You paying money for absolutely nothing but whatever you want. Might as well set the notes on fire.

money-to-burn-JPG_120425.jpg

Associate
OP
everything apps can do mentioned is built into windows. You paying money for absolutely nothing but whatever you want. Might as well set the notes on fire.

haha

I actually didn't know this until today.
All I know is that advanced system care used to make my computer super fast with a click of a button.

So if you would rather recommend innate tweaks and optimisations I would be greatful if you could link me to a guide of some sort.

Many thanks

CF

Associate
I certainly do not agree with just using built in windows SW especially just the virus checker as it does not catch everything.
MWB picks up 7 or 8 things per week MS's own checker does not and .. well i would like to think i know how to conduct myself on the web now.

Permabanned
I certainly do not agree with just using built in windows SW especially just the virus checker as it does not catch everything.
MWB picks up 7 or 8 things per week MS's own checker does not and .. well i would like to think i know how to conduct myself on the web now.

That is totally fine everyone is entitled to their opinion. If people knew how to manage windows properly there certainly would be no reason to use 3rd party tools that's for sure.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . .
MWB picks up 7 or 8 things per week MS's own checker does not . . .
I would like to think i know how to conduct myself on the web now.
If MalwareBytes is picking up seven or eight things per week I would have to question your assertion that you know how to conduct yourself on t'Interweb :eek:
What on earth is MalwareBytes picking up?

Associate
OP
Thanks fellas. This answers all of my questions, just need help with 2 things:

If you recommend manual tweaks instead of a program, please could you suggest which tweaks to make?

How do I partition a portion of my drive and use that for recovery?

Many thanks

CF

Associate
If MalwareBytes is picking up seven or eight things per week I would have to question your assertion that you know how to conduct yourself on t'Interweb :eek:
What on earth is MalwareBytes picking up?

Currently in my protection log i have 3 things, one trojan and 2 malvertising entries - this is over the past week.

Back
Top Bottom