• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I am sure devs won't want to duplicate stuff 400 times. So I think we will see space reduction :p

Data isn't replicated on PC games either though (at least, not for the benefit of access times), yet the install sizes are still getting larger with time though due to the increased size/detail of assets, textures, audio etc. I appreciate you're saying that in your own circumstances 500GB is enough, but it'll rapidly end up insufficient for most people so 1TB needs to be the minimum at launch, as that's when people are most prepared to pay-up for it anyway.

I'm betting GTA6 will be exactly like GTA5, release Sep 2020 before the new consoles. Then a year after next gen refresh.

A game like GTA you have to sell it at the end of console cycles to maximise profits.

There's no chance of another GTA coming before the next gen, by that point they'd have had less than two years to work on it since the launch of RDR2.

Soldato
I think considering the current generation launched with 500gb, expecting 1tb or 2tb should be OK. Probably 1tb, but they could do a PS3 and offer two different storage SKUs.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The only reason I am thinking it could be as low as 500gb is because SSD's cost more than HDD's. If in the end there is only £10-20 difference between 500gb and 1tb then sure it is worth making it the minimum. But if £50+ then people should have an option in my opinion.

I don't even get the resistance to this to be honest as there will 100% be bigger capacity options for those who are happy to pay for it. Win win.

Caporegime
Data isn't replicated on PC games either though (at least, not for the benefit of access times), yet the install sizes are still getting larger with time though due to the increased size/detail of assets, textures, audio etc.

Maybe it is though? The PC games still have to cater for lowest denomination which is a 5400rpm laptop drive, same as in the consoles. Perhaps that would require data duplication as well?

Soldato
Data isn't replicated on PC games either though (at least, not for the benefit of access times), yet the install sizes are still getting larger with time though due to the increased size/detail of assets, textures, audio etc. I appreciate you're saying that in your own circumstances 500GB is enough, but it'll rapidly end up insufficient for most people so 1TB needs to be the minimum at launch, as that's when people are most prepared to pay-up for it anyway.

There's no chance of another GTA coming before the next gen, by that point they'd have had less than two years to work on it since the launch of RDR2.
:confused:They will have been working on GTA6 when GTA5 finished, studios work on more than one title at a time.

Soldato
If they're serious about BC, I want to be able to play the PS1 games I bought from the PS3 PSN store on the PS5, cause at the minute those purchases are lost in a void due to not having a PS3 anymore.

Soldato
The only reason I am thinking it could be as low as 500gb is because SSD's cost more than HDD's. If in the end there is only £10-20 difference between 500gb and 1tb then sure it is worth making it the minimum. But if £50+ then people should have an option in my opinion.

I don't even get the resistance to this to be honest as there will 100% be bigger capacity options for those who are happy to pay for it. Win win.

It has to be 1tb. In 2020 no console should be launching with a 500gb drive.

This, 500gb will be next to useless next gen. What's that 3 or 4 games? I can't remember how much 500gb hdd's were in 2012 but 1tb SSDs have dropped real quick with 3D NAND.

Maybe it is though? The PC games still have to cater for lowest denomination which is a 5400rpm laptop drive, same as
in the consoles. Perhaps that would require data duplication as well?

There are already plenty of PC games that list SSD's in their minimum spec requirements, so it's no problem.

I actually think a multi SKU based on storage like PS3/360 generation is quite likely, given the SSD storage will probably not be user replaceable OR expandable. Even if they use USB 3.2 it's only 20gbit which is nowhere near the speeds they've talked about so far.

I guess they could add a external M.2 PCI-E 4.0 port in some special enclosure? A bit like the 360 hdd's / PS2 expansion port?

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This, 500gb will be next to useless next gen. What's that 3 or 4 games?
Did not know most games on consoles were 100GB+ these days as I game on PC. I thought 500gb would get you 5-10 games installed which is fine for the base model. As I said, anyone who wants more can pay more as there will be the options to buy it for sure.

As an example on PC games like Sekiro Die Twice or The Surge 2 are both under 20Gb.

Soldato
Really? Can you give an example or two because I’ve never seen that anywhere yet.

You're right I can't find it now :p. I'm sure I read an article about Star Citizen /Cyberpunk or something big that listed it. I'm sure it will become a requirement as it will impact gameplay soon enough, not just loading screens.

Soldato
Did not know most games on consoles were 100GB+ these days as I game on PC. I thought 500gb would get you 5-10 games installed which is fine for the base model. As I said, anyone who wants more can pay more as there will be the options to buy it for sure.

As an example on PC games like Sekiro Die Twice or The Surge 2 are both under 20Gb.

Ofcourse, but RDR2 (150gb) + FFXV (155gb) + TLOU2 (105gb) and you're full!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ofcourse, but RDR2 (150gb) + FFXV (155gb) + TLOU2 (105gb) and you're full!
Not wonder you guys so against 500gb, did not know some games were so huge. I am guessing these games are the types that will be much smaller when on an ssd as mention by the designer of ps5.

Are most games these days 100gb+ on consoles? Madness.

Associate
Not wonder you guys so against 500gb, did not know some games were so huge. I am guessing these games are the types that will be much smaller when on an ssd as mention by the designer of ps5.

Are most games these days 100gb+ on consoles? Madness.

Once the game is unpacked they can be massive. RDR2 is definitely a HUGE game. Went back to the old way of a bulk install disc and then a run disc for all the content of the base game. Then there was this ridiculous sized patch for when the online came about.

They may be able to use special codecs with this newer generation but only time will tell.

Shawrey

Back
Top Bottom