Deep Socket Set - Would it be Metric?

Soldato
Hi Guys

I need a deep socket to undo a roof rail nut on my 2005 Ford Focus. I take it that it will be metric? Any recommendations for a set?

Thanks

Associate
Will definitely be metric, I bought a Clarke deep set on a rail from Machine Mart to go in the car (mine was AF but they do both) and I actually use them a fair bit because they're good quality and six sided. It was about £12 in 3/8.

Presuming you've already got a ratchet

Edit: It was basically these but AF:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro370-8-piece-38-deep-socket-set-metri/
AF sizes are all over the place. 3/8 does not fit 10mm and 1/2 does not fit 13mm with out a hammer. Good for rounded nuts and bolts. For £12 you can get sealey lock on (Mac edge clone) from rain forest which are also good for rounded nuts

Man of Honour
AF sizes are all over the place. 3/8 does not fit 10mm and 1/2 does not fit 13mm with out a hammer. Good for rounded nuts and bolts. For £12 you can get sealey lock on (Mac edge clone) from rain forest which are also good for rounded nuts
3/8 does not fit 10mm because 3/8" is just over 9.5mm.
1/2" is 12.7mm which is why it doesn't fit 13mm.

The sizes are not "all over the place", they are different! They aren't supposed to be compatible, next you'll be telling us CD players can't play Minidiscs.

Soldato
The sizes are not "all over the place", they are different!

tenor.gif

Associate
3/8 does not fit 10mm because 3/8" is just over 9.5mm.
1/2" is 12.7mm which is why it doesn't fit 13mm.

The sizes are not "all over the place", they are different! They aren't supposed to be compatible, next you'll be telling us CD players can't play Minidiscs.
No **** they don’t fit! I don’t see the relevance of your post.
so you googled inch to mm conversion.
Well done?

Anyway my point was 10and 13mm are the common sizes if you buy an af set like pardonthewait you’ll have to get a 10 and 13mm too.

Your better off getting a metric and 3/8 and 1/2 af if you work on your car a lot

Soldato
Surely if your car is metric, you need a metric set. If your car is imperial, you need an imperial set. They are for different situations.

Most modern cars will be metric I imagine. If you have a classic, then you probably want an imperial set. If your bolts are rounded/rusted, then whatever fits best will do.

If you're buying imperial just in case you have rounded bolts, you're better off getting something specifically designed for the job, such as the Irwin bolt extractor jobbies.

Man of Honour
No **** they don’t fit! I don’t see the relevance of your post.
so you googled inch to mm conversion.
Well done?

Anyway my point was 10and 13mm are the common sizes if you buy an af set like pardonthewait you’ll have to get a 10 and 13mm too.

Your better off getting a metric and 3/8 and 1/2 af if you work on your car a lot
Equally, I don't get the relevance of your post.

AF sockets are for imperial nuts and bolts. Metric sockets are for metric. That's pretty much the end of it!

Associate
Equally, I don't get the relevance of your post.

AF sockets are for imperial nuts and bolts. Metric sockets are for metric. That's pretty much the end of it!
I quote someone else who is using and recommending an af set for metric and you get a hard on.

I never said af for metric even though some af sockets work but what ever rub away

Associate
Surely if your car is metric, you need a metric set. If your car is imperial, you need an imperial set. They are for different situations.

Most modern cars will be metric I imagine. If you have a classic, then you probably want an imperial set. If your bolts are rounded/rusted, then whatever fits best will do.

If you're buying imperial just in case you have rounded bolts, you're better off getting something specifically designed for the job, such as the Irwin bolt extractor jobbies.
You can get a set of sealy lock Ons for the price of that af set. The work on rounded fasteners
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTTlQJX9Rug You can pay £12 at the rainforest or £145 for Mac edge

Permabanned
I have Draper 3/8 and 1/2” socket sets brought them about 9-10 years ago and still got them. I use them mainly for work but also used them over the years on many cars too. I did have to replace the 3/8” ratchet a little while back and I think it cost me less than £15. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again.

You can always buy yourself a standard socket set and add extras to it like deep sockets and imperial, it may just work out cheaper.

Get yourself one of these sets as well, very good value for money a snap on set will cost you at least 10 times as much for less.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-333...WGCNGSTR9M1&psc=1&refRID=4SVRZRHG0WGCNGSTR9M1

Soldato
draper expert are decent but draper, meh... but again for home use and basic car jobs they will do you fine i guess. for ease and direct access along with lifetime warranty = halfords. some claim they don't replace moving parts and need a receipt, not true. i taken some ratchet spanners back i bought 12 years ago due ti getting wet and stopped ratcheting. replaced without question.

for cheap but surprising decent i bought some Bergen / us pro sockets and other small bits quite a few months ago. did some work on a lads card and was bending all sort of bars trying to undo bolts, yet the sockets took it no problem.

Man of Honour
I've got a set of Halfords professional and a set of Sealy lock on. I'd go for the Sealy ones, 6 sided are generally better if there's any chance of rusty/rounded fasteners and the lock on definitely helps getting off ones that are heading towards round.

Permabanned
This sounds like it’ll be more than up to the job for the op.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-16359-Square-Metric-Socket/dp/B07338KF65/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1570636426&refinements=p_4:Draper&s=diy&sr=1-1

£20 then just add some deep sockets.

Or if he wants something that’ll last a bit longer you could opt for this but probably ott unless they are used daily.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-164...ds=Draper+expert&qid=1570636558&s=diy&sr=1-16

Halfords equivalents seem quite expensive. If I remember right my boss picked my up my sets in macro, can’t remember how much but they were quite cheap,I still have them and use them daily they get plenty of abuse.

Back
Top Bottom