Noctua introduces chromax.black CPU coolers

Permabanned
Just got the email but as per usual the link is broken so Googled it.

Personally I see it as a good move but I will not be swapping out for sake of it unless they make a newer/better cooler with the same claims as their new 120mm cooler they claim can cool as good or better than their older 140mm cooler.

I have a the D15S and need the Ram and top PCI-E Slot clearance so none so far are any good to me.

noctua-chromax-black-cpu-coolers.jpg

noctua-chromax-black-linus-tech-tips-limited-edition.jpg

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-introduces-chromax-black-cpu-coolers

Soldato
I'm after a A9x14 92mm one to use with my Cryorig C7G.

Up until now only the 120mm and 140mm were available in black.

Hope they're available separately can't see them on the Noctua website.

Ah of course that fan is definitely new. I really want a D15S but its a no show pretty disappointed, cant even fall back to the 140mm model because thats a no show too!

Permabanned
OP
I do not see how it can be different apart from the black coating could hinder heat transfer a tiny bit as its same as before and the orange has his name on it.

I have a black Chromax (case rear exhaust) its supposed to be 1500rpm but it cannot get much over 1400rpm but its within their -/+ specs but the only Noctua fan I have ever had that does not hit rated speed so I get that part he is going on about.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sent Noctua an email earlier (92mm Chromax fan)

Received this response:

Greetings from Noctua,
Many thanks for your interest in our upcoming products. Currently we're aiming for November this year. Please subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Twitter and Instagram to not miss anything about future Noctua products.
Kind regards,
Your Noctua Support-Team

Permabanned
OP
Just in case anyone is not aware Noctua's poo coloured 140mm fans that come included with the coolers are 1500rpm but the exact same style fan you buy separately are only 1300rpm, the Chromax 140mm fans are 1500rpm and the black Industrial models are 2000rpm and 3000rpm.

Soldato
Just in case anyone is not aware Noctua's poo coloured 140mm fans that come included with the coolers are 1500rpm but the exact same style fan you buy separately are only 1300rpm, the Chromax 140mm fans are 1500rpm and the black Industrial models are 2000rpm and 3000rpm.

Yep this applies to the 92mm version too. The fan included with the cooler is slightly more powerful than the one available separately.

Approx 3c difference from the testing I’ve seen.

Permabanned
OP
I did not mention the smaller fans as of the top of my head I do not know their speeds but my first Noctua cooler (there first also) was the cooper (not nickle plated) 120mm cooler. ;)

Soldato
The A9x14 bundled with the cooler is 2.52w (2500rpm) and the A9x14 available separately is 1.32w (2200rpm)

I have both here, bought the 2.52w from a seller on eBay. Can’t say how they compare performance wise other than the SFF posts I’ve read (3c) but at 2200rpm it is a fair bit quieter.

Associate
It would be interesting if companies tried different methods of cooling instead of same old. Acknowledged that current fans work, why change whats not broken.

Id like to see dyson make a cooling fan, never happening though

Permabanned
OP
His washing machine did not seem to do so well.

I had the very first Dyson model sold in UK (ignoring the expensive Japanese market model years before) it was the DC001 (not later DC01 that became mainstream/famous).

I was upgraded to the DC01 (near same specs) due to issues with the former) and both were overrated and mediocre IMO (dog owner at time), as my mums older hoover junior (baby one without light on front) picked up more.

Soldato
It would be interesting if companies tried different methods of cooling instead of same old. Acknowledged that current fans work, why change whats not broken.

Id like to see dyson make a cooling fan, never happening though

There's a lot of work that goes into the aero characteristics and shape of fans, because in the end they are the best way to "stir" the air through one end and out the other, especially in a small package and in a busy PC case. Sure you can change the shape, change the bearing and how you drive the fan, but in the end, that's probably the most efficient way of doing air cooling by pushing the air through cooling fins.

After that, I think you have to move to something totally different like water cooling or liquid immersion to try out different types of cooling that are worth moving away from standard fans.

Anyway, Dyson would probably charge you £500 and make it out of bright plastic parts.

Back
Top Bottom