Hybrid car experience and recommendations?

Capodecina
Soldato
I currently own and use a six year old VW Polo Mk5 GTI with 60k miles on the clock.
I want to replace it with some sort of (similar) hybrid car.
I don't want a Prius because it is just too big for my needs; I have read reviews of the Yaris Sport but understand that it has rock-hard suspension but not the engine to match.
I do about 10,000 miles a year, mostly about town but with four or five journeys of 300(ish) miles and I have driven down to the French Alps on occasion - as a result I don't want a pure electric car - not even a Tesla!

I would appreciate any feedback from people with actual real world everyday experience of a small(ish) hybrid car -thanks in advance :)

Caporegime
I currently own and use a six year old VW Polo Mk5 GTI with 60k miles on the clock.
I want to replace it with some sort of (similar) hybrid car.
I don't want a Prius because it is just too big for my needs; I have read reviews of the Yaris Sport but understand that it has rock-hard suspension but not the engine to match.
I do about 10,000 miles a year, mostly about town but with four or five journeys of 300(ish) miles and I have driven down to the French Alps on occasion - as a result I don't want a pure electric car - not even a Tesla!

I would appreciate any feedback from people with actual real world everyday experience of a small(ish) hybrid car -thanks in advance :)

Got a Lexus CT200H as a daily which is basically a very fancy Toyota Auris.

I'd look at the Auris if I were you and try and get as new as possible. Apparently they have an EGR valve which is a pain to clean as it has 4 different parts to it 3 of which are hard to get to and get out and once over 100K they can cause head gaskets to blow from overheating when clogged up. Well over 150K it starts to get ropey, stories of people doing 350K before it died, etc. But I guess it depends a lot on your ICE usage vs battery usage.

So I plan to take it to 90K or thereabouts then get rid. As a daily I wouldn't want a Yaris tbh you want something more comfortable. An auris isn't huge probably just smaller than a golf so similar size to your polo but bigger.

CT200H has a lot of spec which is why I went for that. Full leather, full memory heated seats, sat nav, really good sound system with a subwoofer in the boot, reverse camera, front and rear sensors, DAB, the list goes on and on.

An auris looks 10 times better than a prius too and the ct200h looks even better. Suspension is crap on the F Sport models with their large rims to match.

As for reliability it's pretty much bulletproof below 100K and 10 years. The Yaris is tiny it's not something I would want to even be a passenger in. As for the hybrid system toyota's is very good. It kicks in automatically all the time regardless of speed and you can use pure electric below 16 mph.

Road tax is £0, mpg is very high minimum of 45mpg usually around 55mpg which for petrol is amazing with mainly city driving in start stop traffic. It has a lot of power too in sport mode. In eco mode it feels like it has 50bhp, in standard it feels like it has 100bhp and in sport it feels like 150bhp.

So you get a lot of people complaining about them being underpowered who used them solely in eco mode.

The CVT is noisey but only when you put your foot to the floor. otherwise you don't really hear it at all.

I suppose the yaris will have a lot of negatives compared to a CT200h but hybrids are great for city cars. I even used it for a 300+ mile trip to London and it was fine on cruise control regularly using the battery along with the engine.

I think Hyundai's plug in hybrid may be a bit better for longer journeys though you also have the negative of having to charge it up yourself by plugging it in.

I think going from a polo to a yaris would be a downgrade. Going to an auris would be a much better buy.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Weve gone through a few of the Toyota and Lexus hybrids. I actually really like the Yaris and have done quite a few long runs in them, they are a bigger more practical car than the polo, thats despite them being in the same class. We had the Auris aswell, and when it worked its was pretty good aswell, but as Psycho sonny says, they are a pain when they go above 100k. The interiors have come a long way, but they still arent as good as their european counterparts.

My money would be on the Lexus, it just looks much nicer inside and out.

Caporegime
Weve gone through a few of the Toyota and Lexus hybrids. I actually really like the Yaris and have done quite a few long runs in them, they are a bigger more practical car than the polo, thats despite them being in the same class. We had the Auris aswell, and when it worked its was pretty good aswell, but as Psycho sonny says, they are a pain when they go above 100k. The interiors have come a long way, but they still arent as good as their european counterparts.

My money would be on the Lexus, it just looks much nicer inside and out.

The Lexus however is very much a massive upgrade from a Yaris. The Auris would be inbetween but still in toyota territory so relatively cheap.

I really like Lexus however their servicing and repairs are eye watering in comparison to toyota. I'm thinking of trying the C-HR next time around which is the new toyota mini suv however I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I might get the Lexus SUV though I think the NX300h looks decent. I do really like Lexus however if something went wrong outside of warranty it would be an arm and a leg to fix. They are extremely reliable but sods law I would be the one out of the 10,000+ who got unlucky.

Soldato
I have a Kia Niro Self Charging hybrid at the minute as a company car. It's completely fine, but incredibly boring. The infotainment system is fine and there is plenty of room for me and my golden retriever who goes in the back seats.

However, it's pretty noisy on the road and the speakers are shocking. That being said, I've got the Niro 2 which is the base model and I think the higher specs have better speakers. The seats don't have great support but it's alright. I've averaged 55mpg over 1500 miles. Most of that is town driving but a few longer runs. Gearbox is OK, it's the first automatic I've properly had so nothing to really compare it to but seems to shift gears OK and got a bit of grunt when you need it for overtaking but truth be told I set the speed limiter at the speed limit and just relax nowadays.

I came out of a top spec Peugeot 3008 diesel which was a lovely place to be where I was getting 40mpg so for economy and tax savings (it's a company car) it's worth it but it's impossible to get anywhere near excited about.

I did want an Ioniq or perhaps something from Toyota but the Kia was the only thing the company had available at short notice and I was keen to get out the costly Peugeot.

If you want any other information about it, let me know.

The 3008 was a much better place to be, but for the savings I'm happy enough in the Niro. I'm trying to convince the powers that be a 530e is the natural next step from what I have in 9 months time but I think I'm onto a losing battle.

Associate
We've just got a CH-R hybrid, only done 130 miles in I so far but it's getting 54mpg and is a lot more refined than our Yaris hybrid was.

The CVT noise is a lot quieter, the battery lasts longer for ev driving and it even cruised at 50mph in ev mode when the battery had enough charge.

Associate
I've now put almost 125k on my 2012 Auris Hybrid, it hasn't skipped a beat other than general wear and tear. Long term average is in the mid to high 50s (around 56-57mpg) Would I have it as my only car? Absolutely not. Is it a great car for piling tonnes of miles on? Absolutely.

When I purchased it many years ago I also looked at the CT200h, it is slightly better specced (Although I got my Auris fully loaded so very close), I found it was a bit more cramped and much preferred the Auris in general - that said back then it was a good few grand more when purchasing nearly new models.

Associate
I sold my Focus St this year and purchased the CHR as i am almost pure city driving now. Downside are its lacking around 30bhp but its sufficient. I believe the new model will be 180bhp like the new corolla. The CVT is noisy and it can fell disconnected when pushed, yet if you keep it steady its very smooth and quite. For my requirements now its ideal. One other downside is the infotainment system, it sucks! feels like its years behind the competition. Getting 55mpg in the city quite easily and much higher on longer drives.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Had a Lexus CT200h for 4 days and loved it. The way it smoothly pulled away in electric mode was great. The interior and build quality seemed good too.
I have spent some time researching the CT200h; on the whole it seems to tick most of the boxes. However, the reviews don't seem to be very complimentary on a number of fronts, it:
  • gets criticised for using "old" Prius technology.
  • seems to have been dropped in the US and doesn't appear to sell particularly well in Europe
  • is criticised for being underpowered
  • is criticised for having a harsh ride
  • is allegedly due to be replaced with a new model in 2021.
Despite all of these things I am tempted to test drive one because it doesn't seem to be very much larger than the Polo.

Soldato
I have spent some time researching the CT200h; on the whole it seems to tick most of the boxes. However, the reviews don't seem to be very complimentary on a number of fronts, it:
  • gets criticised for using "old" Prius technology.
  • seems to have been dropped in the US and doesn't appear to sell particularly well in Europe
  • is criticised for being underpowered
  • is criticised for having a harsh ride
  • is allegedly due to be replaced with a new model in 2021.
Despite all of these things I am tempted to test drive one because it doesn't seem to be very much larger than the Polo.

I cannot comment on the technology, I'm not that up on it. But I didn't find the ride harsh.

Maybe try the Toyota Corolla? That's new out so should have the latest tech.

Soldato
They are very underpowered so thats true. They dont make any hybrids with performance :(

The RC300h is about as good as it gets.

Soldato
Mercedes c350e and the BMW 330e are both close to 300bhp when both petrol and electric are combined. The 330e I drove had great pickup as it would launch on the electric motor and then the petrol would come in.

Then there are things like the Honda NSX, McLaren P1, Porsche 918 all hybrid and certainly performance orientated.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I cannot comment on the technology, I'm not that up on it. But I didn't find the ride harsh.

Maybe try the Toyota Corolla? That's new out so should have the latest tech.
I think that the Toyota Corolla will be larger than I need or want to be honest.

I am happy with the Polo except that it is six years old, has done 60k miles and they don't have a great reputation for longevity. I am definitely not a "Boy Racer" and tend to stick pretty closely to or below the NSL but there are occasions when the acceleration is useful. The ride of the Polo is pretty harsh on our awful road surfaces around town and on out-of-town lanes although it is absolutely fine on long Motorway journeys.

I will definitely have a look at the Lexus CT200h but may end up sticking with the Polo for a few more years.

Back
Top Bottom