3900x wanting to swap my motherboard.

Caporegime
I’m not happy with the VRM temps on my MSI X570 Pro Carbon now I have my hands finally on a 3900x.

So I have decided to return it.

So looking for a new motherboard. I was looking at the Asus X570 Strix E Gaming but after a bit of research there is no temp monitor for the VRM ?

Only the Hero and Formula which are priced to high imo and have features I don’t need like 2.5ghz lan and WiFi...

What about the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro? Is this a decent mobo? Any issues with it?

Cheers

Associate
I would think the vrm on the x470 Hero V11 would barely break sweat even running a 3900x oc on all cores tbh.
look on youtube for a low down on the vrm by buildzoid of gamers nexus ;)

Soldato
I'm looking at selling my x570 carbon to a friend that's building around a 3700x.
The board works well with my 3800x and RAM, but I would like to upgrade to the best CPU that will work in an AM4 socket once they are a couple years old and discounted. (4950x maybe?) My VRM's have never broke 50c while gaming and a 20 minute loop of R20 MT barely got to 60C, but I don't want to worry about adding a 16-core chip down the road.

I am a little concerned about "upgrading" to a better VRM MB (that I won't need for at least a couple years) only to find it can't OC RAM as well as my Carbon.

Soldato
You can get better VRM X570 boards for less than that MSI.
For example Asus Prime X570-P/X570-Pro, TUF X570 and Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite all have lot better VRMs:
https://youtu.be/kxJ8rB5DiUE?t=5m12s

While having basically the best B450 boards (because Asus and Gigabyte were hurried pushing out scam level VRMs) MSI got lazy/wanted to ride on old reputation with X570 boards.
While Asus and Gigabyte learned their lesson surprising MSI pants down...

Soldato
@easyrider
elite is £196 and can get Pro with wifi for £240 .

Naturally Pro has higher PCB layer and VRM - designed to handle 16+ cores

Finned heatsink array is on the main bank of VRMs as well - then you've got the added benefit at hounding Gigabyte rep on here for Bios updates and any issues etc

techincally Elite handles 12 x Digital 50amp SiC634 = 600amps VCore - more then Pro but PCB is lower and Heatsink cooling

https://www.vishay.com/docs/76784/sic634.pdf

Max Op temp 150c

Pro is 12 x 40amp IR3553 = 480amps but have 6 layer PCB along with heatsinks

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/ir3553.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a4015355cd94ee1767

Max Op is 150c as well

I think @GIGA-Man mentioned a while ago that Gigabyte stick sensors as close as they can get them to heat source. Master and Xtreme believe with those expensive VRMs can monitor their temps directly

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
@easyrider
elite is £196 and can get Pro with wifi for £240 .

Naturally Pro has higher PCB layer and VRM - designed to handle 16+ cores

Finned heatsink array is on the main bank of VRMs as well - then you've got the added benefit at hounding Gigabyte rep on here for Bios updates and any issues etc

techincally Elite handles 12 x Digital 50amp SiC634 = 600amps VCore - more then Pro but PCB is lower and Heatsink cooling

https://www.vishay.com/docs/76784/sic634.pdf

Max Op temp 150c

Pro is 12 x 40amp IR3553 = 480amps but have 6 layer PCB along with heatsinks

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/ir3553.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a4015355cd94ee1767

Max Op is 150c as well

I think @GIGA-Man mentioned a while ago that Gigabyte stick sensors as close as they can get them to heat source. Master and Xtreme believe with those expensive VRMs can monitor their temps directly

Thanks for the info...looking at the Elite....V Pro....do you think the ultra is worth it?

Soldato
I've decided to cross the VRM bridge if/when I actually need to. The Carbon is working great with my 8-core and I don't plan on changing the CPU for at least a couple years.

Right now replacing the Carbon for a beastly VRM MB feels like putting a big-brake kit on a car that never sees the track.

Soldato
Thanks for the info...looking at the Elite....V Pro....do you think the ultra is worth it?

Would go Pro over ultra personally . Does the job the same without the extra flair or being slightly cooler. Again £240 for Pro with WiFi .
If you are after the coolest option then Ultra , but to see it shine your case has to have good airflow . If using AIO then Ultra helps due to lack of direct airflow over them with increased surface area etc

I've decided to cross the VRM bridge if/when I actually need to. The Carbon is working great with my 8-core and I don't plan on changing the CPU for at least a couple years.

Right now replacing the Carbon for a beastly VRM MB feels like putting a big-brake kit on a car that never sees the track.

8 core, B550 when they rock up will be more then enough, and current ones are if your gaming. Running say Geomapping and it will die within the first 2 days of workload out of 4 etc

All depends on the end user :)

I have x470 Gaming 7 Aorus. Might swap for x570 Ultra for slight increase in VRM and the heatsink due to an ATX case being in an ITX case ! Along with push maybe from 8 to 12 cores

Caporegime
OP
Would go Pro over ultra personally . Does the job the same without the extra flair or being slightly cooler. Again £240 for Pro with WiFi .
If you are after the coolest option then Ultra , but to see it shine your case has to have good airflow . If using AIO then Ultra helps due to lack of direct airflow over them with increased surface area etc

8 core, B550 when they rock up will be more then enough, and current ones are if your gaming. Running say Geomapping and it will die within the first 2 days of workload out of 4 etc

I have x470 Gaming 7 Aorus. Might swap for x570 Ultra for slight increase in VRM and the heatsink due to an ATX case being in an ITX case ! Along with push maybe from 8 to 12 cores

I’m using AIO

Soldato

The Carbon is already more than enough for my 3800X. I stressed it harder than I ever will in real applications and barely reached 60C on the VRM. Tight RAM timings has my timespy CPU score well over 11,100 too.
Everything is working well now, so I will leave it alone. In 2 or 3 years, I will look at upgrading and then survey my options from what's on the market then.

Soldato
The Carbon is already more than enough for my 3800X. I stressed it harder than I ever will in real applications and barely reached 60C on the VRM. Tight RAM timings has my timespy CPU score well over 11,100 too.
Everything is working well now, so I will leave it alone. In 2 or 3 years, I will look at upgrading and then survey my options from what's on the market then.

Birds PCB helps massively with tight timings and speed. Specially with records normally set on 8 layer ITX boards.. just great designs .
I can sense with TRX40/80 boards.. they are going to cost a bomb and match new x299x boards with 1000amps across vcore !

Back
Top Bottom