• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Sony said you'd be able to customise the installation/removal of game components.

Here it is:

Yep, a particularly speedy SSD drive has been confirmed yet again, but a different way of installing games could be just as useful for gamers and their constantly-updated games. Cerny told Wired: "Rather than treating games like a big block of data, we're allowing finer-grained access to the data."

That could mean you can grab only the multiplayer part of a game, or download a proportion of the single-player experience so you can get to playing as quickly as possible. Rest assured, physical games will still exist on the PS5, coming on 100GB optical disks on a new drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.

From: https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/08...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morningafter

Not sure if that would alleviate HD storage concerns but sounds like a good feature in principle.

Soldato
Soldato
:confused:They will have been working on GTA6 when GTA5 finished, studios work on more than one title at a time.

Sure, but RDR2 was a all-hands-on-deck title for them too, there's no way we're getting a fully-fledged GTA only two years after their last big release. Unfortunately we're long past the days of having two or 3 GTA games released within a single gen!

As an example on PC games like Sekiro Die Twice or The Surge 2 are both under 20Gb.

My Hitman 2 folder is 148GB on Steam. Console games traditionally had smaller install sizes largely due to the reduced size of assets but with 4K etc, there's not much difference any more.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I guess apart from Final Fantasy 15 and Flight Simulator games I just don't come across big games on PC. But you are right, 4K textures are shipping these days and they are large.

Soldato
Apparently New Cod is 150+ gb? That's crazy, 500gb this day of age is just stupid, considering how cheap storage is these days.

Did Sony say the PS5 is getting a 500gb SSD?

I reckon it will be a 1TB. Plus it's nice that games will be installed in components - like play the singleplayer, then uninstall singleplayer and install multiplayer etc.
Also the ps5 will use some bluray disc to to SSD temporary file transfer while you play - this allows bluray disc games to take up much less space on the SSD - buying the disc means you don't need to install the whole game on the SSD like the PS4 had to.

And while it's not confirmed, I believe chances are you can upgrade the SSD to your own bigger one just like you can on the PS4. And they aren't that expensive, a 2TB Samsung 860 evo is 250 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E1T0B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WRSSVT/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=samsung+860+evo&qid=1570701613&sr=8-1&th=1

Caporegime
Nah, I think the SSD chips will be soldered on and not upgradable. The UI will offer an intelligent management system where it will monitor your space and ask you if you want to delete games you haven’t played for six months. Perhaps.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nah, I think the SSD chips will be soldered on and not upgradable. The UI will offer an intelligent management system where it will monitor your space and ask you if you want to delete games you haven’t played for six months. Perhaps.
Even if so, they will provide space where you can maybe simply insert an SSD in to get the extra space. Just like inserting an cartridge into a NES or something :)

Soldato
Even if so, they will provide space where you can maybe simply insert an SSD in to get the extra space. Just like inserting an cartridge into a NES or something :)

Exactly thats why the nintendo switch has - it's 32gb soldered flash storage, but its also got a slot where you can add an extra storage disk.

Soldato
I think you’re right. There will be a secondary slot this time round for another hdd. So users can purchase a drive and just pop it in to expand storage. Well, I hope anyway !

Associate
With PS5 Having SSD, how will it implement TRIM support? Surely the drive will degrade over time just like any other SSD. Will it have a secure erase option?

It's not going to be an issue with modern flash it will likely take decades of use to hit the write limit. Secure erase won't matter as I expect the data will be encrypted on the drive.

I think you’re right. There will be a secondary slot this time round for another hdd. So users can purchase a drive and just pop it in to expand storage. Well, I hope anyway !

I doubt there will be secondary storage as it defeats the object of having a low latency SSD directly on the mainboard, games will be developed only to run off this storage. It's more likely they will allow you to backup games to a HDD but they must be run from the internal SSD.

Soldato
Needs to be minimum 500gb, ideally 1tb.

If they can do it so less data needs to be installed then I would be ok with 500gb. I never play more than a handful of games at once anyway.

So it seems their approach to the capacity problem is to make games modular.

Only play multiplayer? no problem just install multiplayer maps.
Not got a 4k tv? no problem just install standard hd textures.

Soldato
So it seems their approach to the capacity problem is to make games modular.

Only play multiplayer? no problem just install multiplayer maps.
Not got a 4k tv? no problem just install standard hd textures.

And don't forget - if you put the game disk in, it plays off the disk and doesn't install to the hard drive

where as on the PS4 it installed all the game files off the disk onto the hard drive

Back
Top Bottom