BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
FYI Everyone. Plusnet are announcing price increases for existing "non price fixed" customers.
Changes come into effect 03/12/2019 so emails or letters will start arriving end of this month.

Soldato
What’s the increase?

£1 per month on line rental if you take line rental from them.
£2 per month on broadband ONLY products if you already have your line with someone else.
In addition to this they are removing the option to "bring your own phone line".

It's more aimed at out of contract or non package customers by the look of it.

Although the good news is Zen have recently dropped their pricing and offer a lifetime price guarantee.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
We're in an FTTC area, and the last week or so there's been some contractors (I forget the name on their van) laying what looks to be fibre all around the roads here.

One of the local Facebook groups mentioned that someone asked them what they were doing and the answer was 'laying fibre for superfast broadband'.

Haven't had the chance to go and chat to them yet, but wondering if this will possibly be things getting setup to offer FTTP?

I hope so ;)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Yeah nothing on there as it’s not like a full road closure/lights or anything.

They just seem to be moving their little van around the estate and popping a cone out where they are working.

They looked to be feeding a hell of a lot of cabling through one of the covers in the pavement outside a few doors down from us.

Guess will just wait and see!

TJM

TJM

Associate
The Openreach checker should say if you're due to receive FTTP. If it isn't Openreach, google for your town name + fibre, which should turn up any smaller providers who are active locally.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Yeah had a look on dslchecker and nothing there, nor for any general fibre articles.

Newer houses built around here have fttp, we’re a couple of years older so never had it.

Or I guess they could be installing more cables for newer houses that are going up as the estate expands.

Who knows!

Caporegime
The DSL checker is a BT Wholesale thing, it won't show FTTP that is in the planning/delivery stage. The Openreach checker will.

Associate
I wasn’t in a FTTC area and we were trying to get a community fund going to try and pay for it.

all of a sudden Open reach started to install fibre cables about 5 weeks ago, and I was told this was FTTH.

I contacted open reach and I was told it wasn’t coming to me, and this was a network upgrade and I was gutted.

Fast forward to now and I have a fibre connection of 330, up until the day the checker changed I was told I couldn’t get fibre.

To say 6 weeks ago I was stuck on 2 meg with my only hope being 5g I’m Six weeks on and extremely happy so keep your fingers crossed Ev0.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There’s no rate adaptive element at all - there are no ‘up to’ sync speeds like there are with DSL. It is still a contended broadband service and as services get quicker I would expect to see some ISPs having problems caused by cheaping out on their networks.

Back
Top Bottom