• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Water cooling a GTX 980 Ti

Associate
This thing is hitting 70-80c mid game (4k monitor no AA) and often wondered about adding watercooling.

Black Zotac AMP! triple fan.

Any easy to fit clear waterblocks, clear pipes and radiator/fan block kits ?. Would want to attach the rad to the top of the pc as a bit cramped inside. Think I'd want to add a flow indicator too (spinning ball kind of thing. Would prefer clear system to ensure no airbubbles and that the coolant is flowing.

Soldato
This thing is hitting 70-80c mid game (4k monitor no AA) and often wondered about adding watercooling.

Black Zotac AMP! triple fan.

Any easy to fit clear waterblocks, clear pipes and radiator/fan block kits ?. Would want to attach the rad to the top of the pc as a bit cramped inside. Think I'd want to add a flow indicator too (spinning ball kind of thing. Would prefer clear system to ensure no airbubbles and that the coolant is flowing.

Give it a good clean with compressed air and replace the thermal paste first.

Soldato
I would try cleaning as mentioned first if not sell it and add the money you would have spend on a water loop and get a better card.

If it was a much newer card I would say go for it. I have one on water myself

Associate
OP
Often dusted. If removing the heatsink, what do you replace the naff pink memory chip pads with ?.

The air exhaust is slightly blocked by the stupid fan shroud. I might cut it back to improve airflow.

Soldato
I put am aio on my msi 980ti. You can have it if you pay postage.

Never hit 60 after that.

Not bothered with my 1080ti...runs so cool and fast. Seems much better than others... Kinda wierd.

Associate
I would try cleaning as mentioned first if not sell it and add the money you would have spend on a water loop and get a better card.

If it was a much newer card I would say go for it. I have one on water myself

I'd agree, if you don't already have a loop then that will cost you around £200 all in, if you add the roughly £150 you would get for your card second hand, you could get an AMD 5700XT, which is close to twice as fast (or add another £50 for a quieter one!)

Also I don't know if you'd be able to find a full cover block for that card, assuming it's a non-reference PCB

Back
Top Bottom