What watch do you wear?

Associate

Yes, I was looking at the Rotary Henley, but the automatic two tone one. Maybe my next watch then. But if I can resist spending my money on beer maybe a Steinhart. Swiss made would be nice. I especially like the Pepsi GMT.

Caporegime
I'm just going to save up until I can't save no more. I can't imagine it ill be more than £500
Ok, finally, so you have a £500 budget. I would be looking at:

-Tissot
-Certina
-Hamilton
-Seiko dive

Also, why would you be saving up when the UK allows you to get 0% interest free credit to spread the cost witth zero interest? It's literally a no-brainer.

EDIT - Unless for some reason you can't get credit in which case ignore my last question.

Associate

-Tissot
-Certina
-Hamilton
-Seiko dive

Also, why would you be saving up when the UK allows you to get 0% interest free credit to spread the cost witth zero interest? It's literally a no-brainer.

EDIT - Unless for some reason you can't get credit in which case ignore my last question.

I have a mortgage so I assume I have a good credit rating. But I would still rather save up. I like Certina though.

Soldato
Also in agreement here can't see why anyone would commit funds they don't have on the purchase of a luxury item. Fully understand if you already have the money in the bank and want to earn the interest on it etc but seems crazy to agree to buy something you can't guarantee you can afford.

Soldato
Still makes no practical financial sense when the credit is interest free. Always better to spread monthly costs than pay in one lump with a purchase like this.
If you're in a decent position in life in general this actually makes more financial sense to do. You could afford the 5k upfront or whatever, but with 5k you can make the payments each month and have that money working for you, rather than not. Especially if they're charging nothing for this.

Soldato
My smartphone has a watch. Why wear a watch on your hand? Demonstrate my status? Recently I was in a bank, the clerk who opened the account for me had an expensive watch. Likely in banks so accepted. But that doesn't make sense.

As you can see from this thread Alice, many people do. Why? We like them. Why do women wear earrings or other things? A watch is something you can really appreciate as a craft and it's engineering. They are there for a persons enjoyment.

Don
If you're in a decent position in life in general this actually makes more financial sense to do. You could afford the 5k upfront or whatever, but with 5k you can make the payments each month and have that money working for you, rather than not. Especially if they're charging nothing for this.

Yes, I bought Chanel J12 for the wife a couple of months ago and took 48 month 0% as I can use the money elsewhere

Only downside is, even though it's illegal to do, a lot will charge full RRP where you could have gotten an discount for paying outright

Caporegime
My smartphone has a watch. Why wear a watch on your hand? Demonstrate my status? Recently I was in a bank, the clerk who opened the account for me had an expensive watch. Likely in banks so accepted. But that doesn't make sense.
Congrats on the most laughably ignorant post so far in this thread. You must be pretty insecure if you are measuring yourself against the more expensive watches people wear in your presence.

You can buy many great watches for very reasonable prices and a smartphone is a very poor replacement for them considering it is generally not located on your wrist.

Soldato

-Tissot
-Certina
-Hamilton
-Seiko dive

There were some cracking deals last week at AMJ watches on SEikos, a lot less than half price. If i was there i would have got this for under £300

https://www.seikowatches.com/in-en/products/seikopremier/ssa369j1

AMJ website seems to be broken atm though.

Caporegime
There were some cracking deals last week at AMJ watches on SEikos, a lot less than half price. If i was there i would have got this for under £300

https://www.seikowatches.com/in-en/products/seikopremier/ssa369j1

AMJ website seems to be broken atm though.
Althought they are pricier I like the Seiko Presage enamel dials (the older models without the red character at 12-o-clock), very elegant pieces. The SPB047 in particular is a nice dressy watch. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/seiko-presage-enamel-collection-introducing

The dive watches are also very nice https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/prospex/special/historyofdiverswatches/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom