Top Boy

Soldato
Ahh no way! For real?

So I've started it backwards?

Yeah, i mentioned earlier in the thread that the naming convention is foolish.

I've not watched Season 3 (1) yet, only seen the first two but heard there is only a light link to the original two series.

They are definitely worth a watch but don't expect a polished series like the newer one.

Soldato
Just finished S3. Excellent series! I actually started re watching S1 after my last post and I think I'd already seen it, but had forgotten the story.

The new season was brilliantly filmed and a great story. One of the best Netflix takeovers in a long time. Very nicely set up for another Netflix season too, bring it on.

Soldato
Started S3 yesterday, binged 6 episodes. Amazed how they've kept it so polished and well produced but the style feels exactly the same as the first two seasons.

They've cleverly woven some social issues in there as well outside of the obvious London "ghettos" problem.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Did you guys not find season 3 a bit more surreal compared with the first?

Decent watch, but just that bit too Hollywood so I don't hold out much hope for the next season I'm afraid. Irish gangsters and ghetto grudges will be easy to overdo.

Associate
Just finished season 3 there done it 2 days offshore, wow just brilliant, one of the best shows I have watched for a while, 9.5/10 all day long.
Does anyone know if Netflix have got a fourth season planned?

Soldato
started watching it ... per a number of reddit post some of the vocabulary is hard to understand and hear, yardi slang,
so will maybe rewatch with subtitles ... but that won't help it's appeal

I hadn't appreciated when they switched to the Jamaican location, and initially, thought wow, when do we get these barmy/outdooor living scenarios in the uk

Soldato
I loved the previous series on C4 but what Netflix have done with this is just exceptional.

Imagine Peaky Blinders had writing like this. It shows up so many other shows.

Permabanned
Finished watching Season 3, which was fantastic. The acting, script and cinematography was top notch!!

Being someone who was born and bred in Hackney, it was nice seeing some of my old haunts, including the cafe!!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The problem with season 3, I felt, was the distance from realism that the first two got spot on. S03 was just too much of a "hollywood script".

Soldato
The problem with season 3, I felt, was the distance from realism that the first two got spot on. S03 was just too much of a "hollywood script".

That is a fair point, it was certainly less based in reality but I think the twists and turns were handled well and the quality of the acting held it together.

Soldato

Having watched through S1/S2 again recently, there are a few "Hollywood" moments as well. However due to the reduced budget, it did have a more realistic feel.

Soldato
jeez .. continuing, thought the Jamies mother immigration service investigation (upcoming deportation?) was politically inflammatory and unfair view of the UK now ? (a stereotype for the usa watchers)
The sending up, of the new style Hipster coffee culture was great though.

Otherwise, (maybe I should go to specsavers/bigger tv/more attention), but, distinguishing some of the characters ... was confusing Sully and Jamie, for a while,
and had thought shows was using flashback strategy ... alone is this respect ?

(found some netflix episode recaps - obviously a spoiler https://readysteadycut.com/2019/09/13/top-boy-episode-2-recap-netflix/ )

Soldato
jeez .. continuing, thought the Jamies mother immigration service investigation (upcoming deportation?) was politically inflammatory and unfair view of the UK now ? (a stereotype for the usa watchers)

Jamies mum is dead, that was Ats mum. It is quite socially relevant though with the uncertainty for non-nationals right now.

Otherwise, (maybe I should go to specsavers/bigger tv/more attention), but, distinguishing some of the characters ... was confusing Sully and Jamie, for a while

Do you mean Dushane and Jamie? Sully is fairly light skinned by comparison.

Soldato
Just watched all of this (in the right order thanks to this thread ;) )

Can only echo the sentiments, was an excellent show and the new Netflix series really carried it on strong. Hopefully they will make another season

Soldato
Finally got round to watching the new series, it was good but I feel like it felt too American and had lost the feel the previous ch4 shows had, been a while since the original ones but I'm sure it was almost a show case for Grime music and the new series hardly had any.

Soldato
So this Blue story furore and riot ... channel4 article iterated my sentiments:
Director says its a love story ... well maybe brotherhood/loyalty in gangs is,
but it is playing a racial stereotype, expecially for $$$ american bums on seats, that may no longer be true,
but both re-affirms prospects for those involved in gangs, and the fear of those that live outside the demographic.

I haven't heard any explanation form those involved in the riots, ?

The joker was banned in USA no ? and that was clearly fiction, but this trying to be as realistic/docu as possible ..
Need to look and see what the censors comments were ?

Back
Top Bottom