Buying a new gaming pc thoughts on these specs?

Associate
Hi everyone I've just ordered a new pc and was wondering if you this these specs are good for the price. This is my first gaming pc.

Coolmaster b511d masterbox
I5 9400f
Gigabyte b360m intel b3560m gaming motherboard
8gb team ram
Palit geforce GTX 1660 6gb stormx x turing
Adata 240gb ssd
Coolmaster black edition cooler
Aerocool acp 1500hg integrator 500w psi 12cm black fan active

Cost me £800 all in would yous say this is decent for the money and I will be able to play most games? Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Chances are another 8GB RAM is going to be your first upgrade, and if you play some games like Rust or games with mods then sooner rather than later. So I'd get 16GB RAM in now.

Associate
I love how people place an order and then post asking for advice.

Spend an extra £90:
The only thing you would need to do is put it together and get a copy of Windows 10 (can be had for cheap if you google around).
3600 will trade blows with the 9400f
16GB ram instead of 8GB,
Double the SSD capacity,
Faster GPU,
Far better quality PSU, the Aerocool one you have bought is junk and only suitable to be used as a doorstop.
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £892.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
OP
Thanks.. for advice I can easily cancel my order as it's from a local shops. So should I really be going down the ryzen route along with 16gb of ram?

Associate
Thanks.. for advice I can easily cancel my order as it's from a local shops. So should I really be going down the ryzen route along with 16gb of ram?

you should go for 16gb of ram. If you look at pc games specs, especially for recent and new games, you'll see many of them now recommend/require 8gb of ram minimum, so if you can get 16gb of ram for around £60 it makes perfect sense to get it.

as for cpu, ryzen 3600 seems to be a regular choice/recommendation for many good value gaming builds.

Man of Honour
The psu is cheap and nasty HEC built garbage that costs less than £30!! Cancel the order and look at building yourself as you will get much more for your money. Building a pc isn't difficult and there are plenty of online guides. As long as you take your time and double check everything little can go wrong. You should also ask for advice before you order, not after.

Associate
OP
I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to change my order so as it stands

I5 9400f to ryzen 5 3600
8gb of ram to 16gb
B450 motherboard as they have recommended?
Is a 500w thermaltake smart rgb psu good as this is the only other ones they have also a 600w version
Should I stick with the graphics card palit 1660 6g storm x
And upgrade the memory to 480gb ssd or stick with the 260 and get a 1tb hdd also.

I just want to make sure I get the best for my money. Like I said I'l be back in the shop tomorrow so any other advice would be appreciated!

Soldato

I wouldn't recommend the MSI Mech 5700XT, a few reivew sites panned it for having a crap heatsink and poor build quality. Otherwise a much better build than the OP had planned though.

I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to change my order so as it stands

I5 9400f to ryzen 5 3600
8gb of ram to 16gb
B450 motherboard as they have recommended?
Is a 500w thermaltake smart rgb psu good as this is the only other ones they have also a 600w version
Should I stick with the graphics card palit 1660 6g storm x
And upgrade the memory to 480gb ssd or stick with the 260 and get a 1tb hdd also.

I just want to make sure I get the best for my money. Like I said I'l be back in the shop tomorrow so any other advice would be appreciated!

1. The Ryzen 3600 is what you want to go for.
2. 16GB (2x8) of 3000-3200mhz + RAM
3. Any of the MSI "MAX" boards as they'll support the 3600 out of the box, they also have decent VRM's given the price of the board.
4. Avoid the Thermaltake SMART series like the plague, it's a terrible PSU. Ideally you want to be looking at a good quality 550w + PSU, take a look at this tier list and choose something rated B or above: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/
5. The 5700XT will be a better option by far than the 1660, if that costs too much also consider the Vega 56 as it usually doesn't cost much more than the 1660 and performs far better.
6. I'd go for a larger SSD off the bat and put in a 1TB HDD down the line, but it really depends on what sort of storage configuration best suits you.

As an aside, if you really do not have any other option but the Thermaltake Smart (and I'd really recommend against it), I'd opt for the 1660 GPU simply for the fact it has a tiny power draw and wont put much stress on the PSU.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I wouldn't recommend the MSI Mech 5700XT, a few reivew sites panned it for having a crap heatsink and poor build quality. Otherwise a much better build than the OP had planned though.

Thanks for your help im getting their now!

The motherboard up from the gigabyte b450 elite is the msi b450 tomahawk max should i go for that one?

Regarding the psu the next ones up from the thermaltake is the Gamemax 550w modular rbg is that one any better? Then a 650w tx650m modular gold psu

Like you said I'l stick with the palet 6gb 1660 storm x as they only sell the geforce ones or I could buy it without a graphics card and buy one of them Vega 56s

So after these questions I think I'm finally set at last :)

1. The Ryzen 3600 is what you want to go for.
2. 16GB (2x8) of 3000-3200mhz + RAM
3. Any of the MSI "MAX" boards as they'll support the 3600 out of the box, they also have decent VRM's given the price of the board.
4. Avoid the Thermaltake SMART series like the plague, it's a terrible PSU. Ideally you want to be looking at a good quality 550w + PSU, take a look at this tier list and choose something rated B or above: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/
5. The 5700XT will be a better option by far than the 1660, if that costs too much also consider the Vega 56 as it usually doesn't cost much more than the 1660 and performs far better.
6. I'd go for a larger SSD off the bat and put in a 1TB HDD down the line, but it really depends on what sort of storage configuration best suits you.

As an aside, if you really do not have any other option but the Thermaltake Smart (and I'd really recommend against it), I'd opt for the 1660 GPU simply for the fact it has a tiny power draw and wont put much stress on the PSU.

Soldato
I'd lean toward getting the Corsair TXM over the other things you've listed, yes it's more expensive but you really don't want to skimp on your PSU, it's arguably the most important thing in your computer.

The MSI Max board is a solid option.

If you do go for a Vega 56 make sure it isn't a blower card, but if you can get one for not much more money I'd recommend doing so over a 1660 as it is a much better card. If you think an RX590 would meet your needs, you could also consider an RX580 as once oc'd they'll hit similar speeds. I'd recommend checking reviews out to see what you find acceptable performance-wise. Do hold in mind that AMD is releasing its new mid-range GPU lineup shortly, so it could be worth waiting a little on the GPU if you can.

Associate
OP
I'd lean toward getting the Corsair TXM over the other things you've listed, yes it's more expensive but you really don't want to skimp on your PSU, it's arguably the most important thing in your computer.

The MSI Max board is a solid option.

If you do go for a Vega 56 make sure it isn't a blower card, but if you can get one for not much more money I'd recommend doing so over a 1660 as it is a much better card. If you think an RX590 would meet your needs, you could also consider an RX580 as once oc'd they'll hit similar speeds. I'd recommend checking reviews out to see what you find acceptable performance-wise. Do hold in mind that AMD is releasing its new mid-range GPU lineup shortly, so it could be worth waiting a little on the GPU if you can.

I've just realised they sell a corsair txm 650w 80 plus gold semi modular I'm guessing that's the one

Thanks for your help gray really appreciate it man

Associate
OP
Also forgot to mention for the cpu cooler should I stick with the amd wraith cooler or upgrade to the cooler master black edition for 30 quid more?

Soldato
I've just realised they sell a corsair txm 650w 80 plus gold semi modular I'm guessing that's the one

Thanks for your help gray really appreciate it man

No worries bud, glad to be of help.

That power supply is a great option, especially compared to what you were looking at!

The stock cooler should be fine, although you will get better results with a decent aftermarket cooler. I'd say go with stock at first and see how your temps are, if you're uncomfortable it's easy enough to upgrade if need be.

Associate
OP
No worries bud, glad to be of help.

That power supply is a great option, especially compared to what you were looking at!

The stock cooler should be fine, although you will get better results with a decent aftermarket cooler. I'd say go with stock at first and see how your temps are, if you're uncomfortable it's easy enough to upgrade if need be.

Good stuff hopefully should have a good pc very soon :)

The price before was 810 pound it's now at 930 pound would you said that's a fair price? I don't mind paying the extra if it's going to be worth it in the long run

Associate
OP
730 without the graphics card I might just leave it out and wait like you said if I did but one in guessing it wouldn't be too hard to fit?

Back
Top Bottom