Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
So glad i chose the quest now! there's a few games my so wants on Steam VR, I take it he'll be able to play Steam VR with this update?

The suggestion is that yes, it should work with Steam

https://uploadvr.com/quest-steamvr-games/

Dev - why? I've seen generally poor impressions of Leap, especially when it comes to the guys that bought it to add to their VR headsets... I confess that a Leap solution natively built in to a VR headset would likely be much improved, but why assume their own implementation will be inferior? Seems already that the trackable area is substantially greater than that of the Leap which is pretty vital. On top of that this solution can be done without any extra hardware which enables it for free on all existing quests. Leap would require additional hardware, possibly a headset redesign, and associated expense.

Given what a great job they've managed to do on Insight, I have no doubt the guys at FRL can do a fantastic job of markerless hand tracking... I think quite simply they don't need to stump up for Leap motion. I'm sure it will be an iterative process, but even the current state showed the other week looked pretty far along and quite capable overall.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Shame they didn't stump up for Leap Motion's hand tracking tech though.

We use leap motion stuff in my Ph.D lab - we're not overly impressed. I think pretty much everyone in my research group is looking forward to seeing what the Quest can do.

Soldato
We use leap motion stuff in my Ph.D lab - we're not overly impressed. I think pretty much everyone in my research group is looking forward to seeing what the Quest can do.
30hz hand tracking vs 200hz. I hear their pinch gesture is pretty solid, but the refresh rate means it loses your hands if they move too quickly. Either way, so very cool to see it introduced as a feature

Soldato
For Black Friday, maybe they might do a deal. Maybe add a game bundle or something. They are extremely popular right now and, as Ravenger said, they are selling them nearly as fast as they can make them.

Associate
I'm having a bit of a strange problem

Beat Saber says it needs an update, when I click on update nothing happens. The same when I try to uninstall it..... nothing.

Any ideas or has anyone else had the same issues?

Soldato
I'm having a bit of a strange problem

Beat Saber says it needs an update, when I click on update nothing happens. The same when I try to uninstall it..... nothing.

Any ideas or has anyone else had the same issues?

Have you modded the game? I had the same issue with a sideloaded version of Virtual Desktop. I had to use Sidequest to uninstall it.

Soldato
No way is Quest going to be discounted anytime soon... Rift S for sure I can see that happening, no doubt plenty of excess stock lying around they'll want to shift. They can't manufacture the Quest quick enough, so no reason to discount. Games though, sure, I can see that happening on BF in the Oculus store.

Associate
Just got a Quest after having a bad experience with the S. Really impressed how good the headset is - no issues at all with reduction to 72hz, still looks smooth to me.

Noticed I got Robo Recall for free - think it must be a cross platform perk due to having this on the CV1.

Associate
how does the tracking compare? is there a dead spot above the headset? presumably the straight up 5th camera on the Rift S is designed to solve something?

Back
Top Bottom