Asgard's Wrath

Soldato
Maybe this doesn't deserve a new thread, but, is anyone else getting this? Reviews are making it sound fantastic!! 30Hrs of gameplay.

Is this the first true triple A title for Virtual Reality?

130GB diskspace needed, ouch!!

I decided today to pre-order it before it's release tomorrow. No option to start downloading it though. Won't be able to play it until Friday, hope it's finished downloading by then :D

Soldato
I pre-ordered once the reviews hit. Looks amazing! Just cleared a load of games off one of my SSDs to make room.

I've got 150mbit/s cable broadband, so will take a while to download, but not days :)

Soldato
OP
Me too, been deleting a load of games and apps from my computer to make space. And Stormland releasing next month, thank god Lone Echo 2 was pushed back until next year!!

Soldato
OP
The game has released early! I downloaded it this morning ready to play tonight.

Awesome. My store receipt says 10am PDT which will be 6pm this evening. Won't get to play it until tomorrow anyway, so hopefully it will have fully downloaded over night. But, will be checking this thread to see what your first impressions are.

Associate
Pretty much posted this elsewhere, but here you go:

Had a couple of hours on Asgard's Wrath. It's good. Not without it's flaws, but the general production values are fantastic. Can't help but feel that if you've never played Skyrim VR, then it will impress you even more.

The initial tombs you explore feel like they could have come straight out of Skyrim, but feel a bit more limited - you can't just leap off a ledge, or go swimming underwater for example. Looks like there's a load of depth to it though, with all the crafting materials, quests that pop up etc.

It has the odd mechanic that makes you think "why can't I do that", but the answer is of course that it would screw up the game. For example, in god form, you can pick up and move creatures, your follower, some bits of scenery - but you can't move the main character or simply knock down a ladder from a ledge. Being able to do that would basically kill a lot of puzzles, but still, things like that do stick out.

The opening 10 or 15 minutes really stand out though - I hope there's more points like that later on. I'm probably being a bit picky, but I really do like what I've seen, and I'm only really early on in the game.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much posted this elsewhere, but here you go:

Had a couple of hours on Asgard's Wrath. It's good. Not without it's flaws, but the general production values are fantastic. Can't help but feel that if you've never played Skyrim VR, then it will impress you even more.

The initial tombs you explore feel like they could have come straight out of Skyrim, but feel a bit more limited - you can't just leap off a ledge, or go swimming underwater for example. Looks like there's a load of depth to it though, with all the crafting materials, quests that pop up etc.

It has the odd mechanic that makes you think "why can't I do that", but the answer is of course that it would screw up the game. For example, in god form, you can pick up and move creatures, your follower, some bits of scenery - but you can't move the main character or simply knock down a ladder from a ledge. Being able to do that would basically kill a lot of puzzles, but still, things like that do stick out.

The opening 10 or 15 minutes really stand out though - I hope there's more points like that later on. I'm probably being a bit picky, but I really do like what I've seen, and I'm only really early on in the game.

Interesting review Fluke. I can deal with all those little issues you describe as long as they aren't stupidly frustrating. And that they aren't game breaking and ruining the immersion.

A stand out opening 15 minutes and Fantastic production values, well, that sounds great to me!!

Associate
Interesting review Fluke. I can deal with all those little issues you describe as long as they aren't stupidly frustrating. And that they aren't game breaking and ruining the immersion.

A stand out opening 15 minutes and Fantastic production values, well, that sounds great to me!!
Nah, they're not frustrating, they're just kinda obvious. You won't be disappointed though - there's not much else (if anything) that reaches this overall quality, and it does seem from the reviews that it's a proper length game, which for a VR game is pretty much unheard of.

Soldato
I played an hour or so this evening, and I'm very impressed with the quality of the graphics, and the overall experience. It's no Skyrim, though - so far it's been limited to smaller areas but I am still essentially playing through the tutorial. Looking forward to playing some more.

It definitely feels like a AAA title in all respects.

Soldato
OP
Played a couple of hours today and loved it. It has amazing graphics!! so nice to look at. Runs pretty well too, have it on Epic with full resolution and haven't noticed any slow downs yet. Playing on a 2070 Super.

I feel I have only scratched the surface of the game and can't wait to explore more. The God mode is interesting, but limited, still think a Black and White remake would be epic in VR.

Soldato
metacritic 93%
IGN 9.4
Upload VR 5/5
Road to VR 8.8/10

I think given its a VR game, its a testament to how amazing the title is. VR games seem to be critiquely so freaking much, especially for 'immersion breaking' stuff which is understandable but annoying. Witcher 3 broke my immersion every 10 minutes with a stupid power wheel which stopped combat, oils i couldn't use, janky simplistic combat, crap menu systems and item customisation.. and a cut scene every 15 minutes, but it didn't stop it getting top marks.

This game looks like a turning point for VR now and its nice we're following this up with Stormland and Lone Echo 2. Valve are going to add a few games to the mix too. VR will likely have a solid 10 must-play games now which I think every gamer who can tolerate VR should get.

____

Lone Echo, Lone Echo 2, Superhot, Robo Recall, Asgards Wrath, Beat Saber, Stormland, Resident Evil 7, Astrobot, Skyrim VR (PC), Blood and Truth.
Surely they go toe to toe with any pancake series of games in regards to experience now.

Soldato
Only had a few minutes with it to check it was working, but dang that intro in the sea is epic. Oculus seem to have spent their pennies wisely, I hope it does well.

Soldato
I played it for 15 minutes. Its amazing man. Anyone saying otherwise I can't help but feel is being a bit of a killjoy. Even in pancake 2D this would have been awesome.

Soldato
Been playing it some more. It's got a lot of depth, with the ability to craft upgrades both for you and your companions. Combat is pretty hard, I might have to drop it down to the lowest setting as I'm not a fan of the parrying system. Definitely one of the best made for VR games out there.

Soldato
OP
Combat is hard. It's easy to parry normal moves, but, it's very hit and miss when the enemy uses special moves that you have to block to take down his runic armor. I have got a sword now that can take down two units of runic armor, so I don't have to parry so often. I try to doge back and hit the enemy after he swings.

So far the most annoying thing in the game for me is when I want to quit. You have to go back to the controller calibration screen every time before getting back to the main menu.

Soldato
It's hard not to say that if you've been wanting or waiting for the type of game Asgard's is, it's head and shoulders above anything in the genre.

I hope eurogamer do the decent thing and review it. Only IGN of the mainstreams have bothered so far.

Soldato
I am clearly in a minority but I just don't see it being anything other than mediocre in all departments.
  • Graphics are low res textures with low polygon.
  • Combat is meh. All that parrying to make an enemy angry before you can deplete his shield.
  • Story is meh
  • Gameplay is poor. I mean whoever heard of a hero who couldn't climb down a 4 foot pit and having to rely on your minion to go flick a switch. Sorry but it is not a puzzle when you have to tell your shark guy to hang on a cage that is really a switch so you can get a lift to come down. :rolleyes:
The last good VR only game I played was Moss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom