Seasonic PSU - Require additional SATA power cables

Associate
Hi all, so i have recently purchased a 'Seasonic SSR-750PD2 Prime Ultra 750 W Platinum' PSU - it's a modular power supply that comes with (amongst others) 2 x 4 SATA power cables that connect to 2 of the 4 modular ports on the power supply that are marked as 'Peripheral-IDE/SATA/Molex'.

My question is, am i safe to plug in an additional 2 x 4 SATA power cables to the other 2 unused ports marked as 'Peripheral-IDE/SATA/Molex' ?, and if so does anybody know where i can purchased cables compatible with my PSU, ideally directly from Seasonic.

I am fully aware of SATA power splitters, but i would ideally not want to use them if i can get away with it (additional risk of splitter becoming disconnected).

See image below for the modular ports available on the PSU:-
https://images.app.goo.gl/TrKL8VCRhjn8Dw8q7

Many thanks for any replies.

Associate
OP
Hello,

As long as you have a free connector on your PSU for peripheral cables (SATA or Molex), you can add one more cable without any problem. Please kindly contact us to know how to purchase any extra cables you may need: www.seasonic.com/contact

Thanks !
Best Regards

Many thanks for your reply! i will definitely be contacting seasonic, can i just confirm here, you are saying 'add one more cable without any problem' so having 3 x 4 sata cables is the maximum for this PSU right, its not possible to have 4 x 4 sata cables connected?.

Thanks,
Paul.

Associate
OP
As far as I know Seasonic doesn't sell cables separately.
And third party cables are available only as full kits making them costly for few SATA connectors:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sear...nic+prime/sPerPage/12/sFilter_category/Cables

Is another alternative to use cablemod as they allow you to select the exact make and model of psu, or are cablemod cables bad quality?, walking through the wizard i can see they offer a quad sata power cable for my particular model of psu for 12.90 EUR, which sounds pretty good value to me, but obviously i dont want to damage any hardware here, anybody got experience of using cablemod?.

Associate
OP
You can have 5 total output leads from the psu for sata,molex etc

You could have 20 sata drives connected if you don't need molex.
nope i definitely do not want or need molex *shudder* :). im not clear how i could get 20 drives connected, as there are only 4 available ports marked for sata/molex use on my particular psu, and as each port has 4 connectors i think my max is 16, right?.

Associate
OP
Like he said, it's possible. As long as what you pull from PSU is within it's specs, it doesn't matter if you pull it by SATA or PCIe. ;)

Thanks, yep i wont be plugging in any PCIe power connectors any time soon, so i believe from my calculations i am well within spec of the PSU as regards load with 16 drives and the processor and graphics card i have installed.

Soldato
Thanks, yep i wont be plugging in any PCIe power connectors any time soon, so i believe from my calculations i am well within spec of the PSU as regards load with 16 drives and the processor and graphics card i have installed.
Most desktop HDDs consume less than 10W, so even dozen of them isn't heavy load.
Spin up power draw is only thing which would be more demanding.
But without artificially current limited wire groups (PR BS "multiple 12V rails") that Seasonic simply doesn't care even if there were dozen drives spinning up drawing 30W each.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your help guys, i ordered directly from Seasonic in the end, only cost me 13.50 EUR for 2 x 4 sata cables with shipping, so im quite happy with that, and means less/no splitters, yay!.

Associate
OP
couldnt find on site, where did you order exactly?

its a bit of a clunky process but seasonic support were good for me and i got the following done in about 30 mins, you do the following:-

1. contact them via their website and detail what you want to buy - www.seasonic.com/contact
2. they will email you back with how to pay and what it costs (done through paypal).
3. send email to confirm shipping address and your name.
4. wait for delivery company to email you the tracking id.

Associate
I bought a new Seasonic PSU recently and the main motherboard cable had been manufactured incorrectly.
I contacted Seasonic Support, they asked for photos as confirmation and then very quickly sent out a replacement.
Any other manufacturer would have either directed me to the supplier or just told me to RMA it.
I found them helpful and courteous and I would definitely prioritise buying Seasonic again due to their Customer Service.
Its good to know that I can also get extra cables if needed at a future date.

Back
Top Bottom