Amex/american express

Soldato
Yes, I pay at the pump.

Im also thinking about dropping the Curve card as I’m not using it too often these days. I do like the feel of the metal card though.

Upgrade to the Amex Platinum card then, thats metal :D

I was trying to work out a man logic process to make it work but there's no chance it makes sense on my current level of spending!

Soldato
Strange, i usually try to use supermarkets and have never had Amex rejected by any pump ever. Perhaps blind luck then :)
Never had mine declined either between filling at Tesco / Sainsburys and Costco, always use pay at pump.

Soldato
Upgrade to the Amex Platinum card then, thats metal :D

I was trying to work out a man logic process to make it work but there's no chance it makes sense on my current level of spending!

I think I spend about £40 a month on personal expenses. I don’t think I could make it work for me!

Soldato
One thing that confused me this morning. I was listening to a podcast where the guy mentioned paying a plumber by bank transfer using his Amex for airmiles.

From memory there's a cash advance fee of 3%, surely that's a stupid thing to do given that the fee far outweighs the benefits of any rewards.

Soldato
One thing that confused me this morning. I was listening to a podcast where the guy mentioned paying a plumber by bank transfer using his Amex for airmiles.

From memory there's a cash advance fee of 3%, surely that's a stupid thing to do given that the fee far outweighs the benefits of any rewards.

You can get more than 3% but probably only if the spend is part of getting the 2-4-1 voucher or reaching an introductory offer and those avois are used efficiently in combination with the 2-4-1 voucher.

Soldato
Feel like i'm going to do everyones head in soon :p

Is there anyway to find out how many Avios you'll earn when clicking through their links?

On TCB is clearly breaks down any cashback by deal. So

X for a phone contract over £40,
Y for a phone contract under £40,
Z for a SIMO deal
etc

On Avios it just says "Up to 7000 Avios"

I'd like to know which is actually the better deal!

Soldato
I'm back with more questions :p

1 - Has anyone experienced their AMEX not working on contactless but it's fine when inserting the card? What's the reason for that as i don't understand it. It happened in Morrisons to me yesterday and same at the airport last week.

2 - Am i missing something with Amex Travel? Was looking for flights the other day and they're more expensive for KLM flights than the likes of Skyscanner/Expedia and KLM direct.

Caporegime

1 - Has anyone experienced their AMEX not working on contactless but it's fine when inserting the card? What's the reason for that as i don't understand it. It happened in Morrisons to me yesterday and same at the airport last week.

2 - Am i missing something with Amex Travel? Was looking for flights the other day and they're more expensive for KLM flights than the likes of Skyscanner/Expedia and KLM direct.

1 - No, as I always pay with Amex in Morrisons (with my phone).

2 - Amex Travel is probably the most expensive way to buy…I am not saying it can’t be cheap but whenever I look up prices on it to compare, it is always the highest by some margin. I tend to ignore it.

Soldato
1 - No, as I always pay with Amex in Morrisons.

2 - Amex Travel is probably the most expensive way to buy…I am not saying it can’t be cheap but whenever I look up prices on it to compare, it is always the highest by some margin. I tend to ignore it.

Weird, maybe it's certain terminals. I had it in TK Maxx too. I often use Apple Pay and don't carry the physical card so it was really annoying on that particular day!

Fair enough, i've found that too. Wasn't sure if there was any way to make it more competitive but seems not.

Soldato
I use AMEX for my daily CC and have it linked to Paypal for sites that don't accept AMEX directly, for the few places that don't accept it I use a 'backup' CC that still gives me cashback.

Soldato
I’ve had my Amex declined both via Apple Pay and contactless. I was told that Amex have implemented further security which messes up such payments. Card was accepted on insertion to the machines though.

Caporegime
Weird, maybe it's certain terminals. I had it in TK Maxx too. I often use Apple Pay and don't carry the physical card so it was really annoying on that particular day!

Fair enough, i've found that too. Wasn't sure if there was any way to make it more competitive but seems not.

I think there are certain perks if you book your holiday through Amex travel, I forgot now, it may be 3x more points for that spend or something, but the extra cost is never worth those points.

Soldato
I’ve had my Amex declined both via Apple Pay and contactless. I was told that Amex have implemented further security which messes up such payments. Card was accepted on insertion to the machines though.

That may not be a AMEX issue but in general all banks now have enabled more checks for contactless payments, you get up to 5 transactions or a spending cap before you need to use your pin to 're authenticate'

Don

1 yes mine does that at Asda

2 I've never found Amex travel competitive

Back
Top Bottom