LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
The OP's experience is aligned to my own. I use a 55" OLED as my PC monitor and I wouldn't use anything else. We're being ripped off in the PC monitor marketplace.

Associate
I'm coming round to the idea of using a TV as a monitor, I've been looking at ultrawides but prices seem silly compared to a good quality 4K TV. I paid £420 for my 55NU8000 in a boxing day deal. I'm just concerned about using a 55" for productivity and I also think a 50" would fit better, but most 50" TV's don't have the same bells and whistles as their 55" variants.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

Permabanned
It makes sense for a 16.9 OLED in the livingroom, A 21.9 with 200hz in the pc room. I will not be doing it until 2021 im scared they might launch an Ultrawide OLED too and a OLED is a 10yr purchase for me i am more than happy with 4k games and movies.

Soldato
It makes sense for a 16.9 OLED in the livingroom, A 21.9 with 200hz in the pc room. I will not be doing it until 2021 im scared they might launch an Ultrawide OLED too and a OLED is a 10yr purchase for me i am more than happy with 4k games and movies.

What makes you think ultrawide OLED will ever be a thing?

Permabanned
What makes you think ultrawide OLED will ever be a thing?

Capitalism and drip feeding almost guarantees it someday. You could say nearly half of all the great movies were in ultrawide also really 16.9 is a stop gap just like 4.3 to 16.9 happened 16.9 to 21.9 will happen. It probably is more like 5years for prototypes and 10 years for mass production.

Soldato
Capitalism and drip feeding almost guarantees it someday. You could say nearly half of all the great movies were in ultrawide also really 16.9 is a stop gap just like 4.3 to 16.9 happened 16.9 to 21.9 will happen. It probably is more like 5years for prototypes and 10 years for mass production.

10 years out I'd think MicroLED will be closer to the horizon, with none of OLEDs drawbacks.

OLED is an odd one... 55" HDMI 2.1 VRR TV's for £1500 (soon to be cheaper with LG's 48" in 2020), 60Hz 21" monitors for £4500, a 120hz 55" monitor (Alienware AW5520QF) for £3,300... and we still have the issue of burn-in to address regards a dedicated PC monitor, which none of these really are. Even EIZO's recent Foris Nova 21" OLED that was just announced comes with a warning about turning it off periodically to avoid this. OLED is great for lounge gaming, movies etc. but I do not see it ever penetrating the mainstream monitor market due to its emissive properties. They'd have to get the price down to such low levels in order to mitigate that burn-in risk. No one is going to be paying thousands for a monitor with the possibility of it suffering burn-in after a year or so, and not being covered under warranty. It seems like this may be why the Dell 55" lowered its brightness and has no HDR support... to reduce the chance of this happening, but the 55" size alone is going to be prohibitive for the kind of long term use that a typical desktop monitor gets anyway. Surprises me somewhat that Dell didn't push for a smaller size, but clearly from a production standpoint, 55" OLED is the mainstream, so I guess it makes sense they went that route, as no one is mass producing smaller OLEDs obviously... but the price is absurd.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
10 years out I'd think MicroLED will be closer to the horizon, with none of OLEDs drawbacks.

OLED is an odd one... 55" HDMI 2.1 VRR TV's for £1500 (soon to be cheaper with LG's 48" in 2020), 60Hz 21" monitors for £4500, a 120hz 55" monitor (Alienware AW5520QF) for £3,300... and we still have the issue of burn-in to address regards a dedicated PC monitor, which none of these really are. Even EIZO's recent Foris Nova 21" OLED that was just announced comes with a warning about turning it off periodically to avoid this. OLED is great for lounge gaming, movies etc. but I do not see it ever penetrating the mainstream monitor market due to its emissive properties. They'd have to get the price down to such low levels in order to mitigate that burn-in risk. No one is going to be paying thousands for a monitor with the possibility of it suffering burn-in after a year or so, and not being covered under warranty. It seems like this may be why the Dell 55" lowered its brightness and has no HDR support... to reduce the chance of this happening, but the 55" size alone is going to be prohibitive for the kind of long term use that a typical desktop monitor gets anyway. Surprises me somewhat that Dell didn't push for a smaller size, but clearly from a production standpoint, 55" OLED is the mainstream, so I guess it makes sense they went that route, as no one is mass producing smaller OLEDs obviously... but the price is absurd.

i think micro led will be far away.

im not in the mood anymore of waiting years for a new product or tech.. i feel too old to do that.

Soldato
i think micro led will be far away.

im not in the mood anymore of waiting years for a new product or tech.. i feel too old to do that.

Samsung just approved spending $11 billion to build it's own OLED factories. For a company who constantly markets OLED as bad to do that, tells you exactly what you need to know about MicroLED. MicroLED is like Electric Cars - the holy grail, but far too expensive for another decade.

The market seems to move slow for MicroLED. A few years ago we heard about this tech and we even saw demo panels. Now in 2019, we're still hearing about demo panels. Some models are for sale, but from what I've seen - the cheapest MicroLED for sale to the public is around $700,000.

Soldato
People just need to forget about MicroLED for now... it's probably about as close as seeing the end of petrol driven vehicles and going ALL electric. I don't even think that's much of an exaggeration given how far MicroLED is from appearing in an affordable PC monitor.

OLED in the form of LG's 48" due next year might hold some promise, although for constant desktop use OLED will always have its drawbacks, plus 48" will still be too big for many people. For general gaming though, OLED is by far and away the best option, and TV's are only getting cheaper. Once we see HDMI 2.1 on GPUs, it's going to make the argument for LCD monitors, especially bigger ones, much harder to make.

In the monitor space, JOLED have some ambitious plans regards OLED development, so worth keeping an eye on them, but any product there is a solid 2-3 years away at best. And if they can't come in at semi-sensible prices, it's all for nothing regards the mainstream. With 22" OLED monitors currently in the £4K range, there's clearly a lot of work to be done here!!

There is Alienware's 55" OLED option of course, but it's obvious they only went with that size due to it being the most common panel size available, so there's no chance of anything smaller from them.

Associate
I thought i'd give my 55NU8000 a go with an ultrawide resolution but it doesn't pick up the signal after creating a custom resolution. Am I missing a trick? How do you know if your TV will support the custom resolution?

Associate
I thought i'd give my 55NU8000 a go with an ultrawide resolution but it doesn't pick up the signal after creating a custom resolution. Am I missing a trick? How do you know if your TV will support the custom resolution?

If you have NVIDIA, go into control panel->adjust desktop size and position->select "no scaling" for 1:1->perform scaling on-GPU.

Samsung just approved spending $11 billion to build it's own OLED factories. For a company who constantly markets OLED as bad to do that, tells you exactly what you need to know about MicroLED. MicroLED is like Electric Cars - the holy grail, but far too expensive for another decade.

The market seems to move slow for MicroLED. A few years ago we heard about this tech and we even saw demo panels. Now in 2019, we're still hearing about demo panels. Some models are for sale, but from what I've seen - the cheapest MicroLED for sale to the public is around $700,000.

MicroLED is a complete pipe dream. I try and avoid Samsung when I can. They have the worst/sleeziest marketing department of any tech manufacturer.

Associate
I've got strange behaviour with my 55NU8000, I can't get 1440p@120hz to work, but 4k@60hz works fine. Being as the former should be using more bandwidth can I rule out the cable? Or am I over simplifying it?

Soldato
Would appreciate if its possible to post some images from racing sims and OLED TV using 21:9

Some Qs
Is it possible to use a PAP mode for displaying 2 inputs side by side, so that it would be possible to have 32:9 with 2x16:9 paired together?
Is it possible in any way to get a 32:9 screen resolution working?
Will 2.1 GFX cards bring VRR (Is this not what Samsung has with AMD and XB1X offers)?

Associate
To the OP , isnt it possibke to do 4k 120hz but using 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4 , yes for desktop text is a lot clearer with 4:4:4 but for gaming with motion u barely notice it while taking advantage of higher refresh rate / resolution.

I ve been thinking of getting the C9 as my main pc monitor for some time now, maybe ill cave in soon and just get it lol.

Back
Top Bottom