55" TV for Gaming

Associate
This thread has inspired me. I've just ordered a 55 C9..

Nice one! That should be great for gaming. I wanted this one myself but settled for the Q70 Samsung instead due to getting a 25% discount using PerkBox for it. I wanted the Q60 with a view to selling it and upgrading to the C9 later on... but I think the Q70 looks good enough to me that I'll probably skip the C9 now.

Soldato
welcome to the OLED master race
It is quite an upgrade, picture quality is insane and this is my first real experience of 4k. Only played Destiny 2 so far and loving the new detail. That said, I'm still very much getting used to it, some things are so insanely bright I have to squint like when there's major muzzle flash on weapons. Think I need to tweak settings further to get it into a sweet spot.

Soldato
It is quite an upgrade, picture quality is insane and this is my first real experience of 4k. Only played Destiny 2 so far and loving the new detail. That said, I'm still very much getting used to it, some things are so insanely bright I have to squint like when there's major muzzle flash on weapons. Think I need to tweak settings further to get it into a sweet spot.

Copy the settings from here, it's a good baseline - you can then tweak them slightly to your liking

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings

But you're not the only one - I also find the C9 to be plenty bright - for most HDR games I go and limit the HDR nits down to about 400 or 500 to avoid my retinas burning lol.

Soldato
Is anyone expecting the next gen consoles to incorporate anything that these TV's wouldn't be able to do?
Great question!!
Are there any new/up coming HDMI standards which the PS5 will make use of, that current gen TV's (Q4 2019) will not have?

Soldato
Copy the settings from here, it's a good baseline - you can then tweak them slightly to your liking
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings
But you're not the only one - I also find the C9 to be plenty bright - for most HDR games I go and limit the HDR nits down to about 400 or 500 to avoid my retinas burning lol.
Super, thanks! Done a quick read and see they recommend leaving OLED Light at 100 for HDR. The Destiny loading screen (largely white) was giving me a tan at that setting! I'll give a full read tonight and play around.

Soldato
Super, thanks! Done a quick read and see they recommend leaving OLED Light at 100 for HDR. The Destiny loading screen (largely white) was giving me a tan at that setting! I'll give a full read tonight and play around.

You can turn down the HDR settings in the game's menu

Soldato
Great question!!
Are there any new/up coming HDMI standards which the PS5 will make use of, that current gen TV's (Q4 2019) will not have?
Some 2019 TVs have HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rate, but no current graphics cards have it. I would expect next gen consoles to have it but haven't checked/not confirmed yet.

Obviously Freesync/VRR is useless if your card only does it on DisplayPort and your TV doesn't have an input.

Soldato
OP
So it looks like I was the only one in here who didn't order the C9 even though I started the thread :D

How are you all finding it? Does burn-in play on your mind and make you change your gaming habits?

It's come down to some pretty tempting prices lately.

Soldato
I have the b8 and it's a great TV. The picture quality is amazing so I can only imagine the c9 is better plus I believe it has hdmi 2.1 which allows for faster frame rates when using 4k resolution so it will be great for the next gen consoles.

Soldato
OP
I have the b8 and it's a great TV. The picture quality is amazing so I can only imagine the c9 is better plus I believe it has hdmi 2.1 which allows for faster frame rates when using 4k resolution so it will be great for the next gen consoles.

Do you notice much judder on stuff that's locked at 30fps? That's one complaint I've seen about these, along with burn-in worries of course.

Soldato
In fairness you can get burn in effect on lcd and I know this as I have experienced it. If you worried about burn in the buy a monitor otherwise just pick a tv you like and has the features you want and go with it otherwise you will end up with nothing

Soldato
Do you notice much judder on stuff that's locked at 30fps? That's one complaint I've seen about these, along with burn-in worries of course.

I haven't noticed any judder at all. As for image burn I've not had any in the 3 years I've owned OLED tvs but I do nothing image retention but it goes after a couple of seconds.

Soldato
OP
I haven't noticed any judder at all. As for image burn I've not had any in the 3 years I've owned OLED tvs but I do nothing image retention but it goes after a couple of seconds.

I'm assuming it's your main gaming TV? So plenty of hours of COD on it with static HUDs and stuff?

Soldato
OLED = burn-in guaranteed. That's as simple and clear a fact as the sky being blue, or water being wet. The time will vary between the models based on when they came out (eg 6 series - LOL, you're screwed) but it will generally happen before you'd replace it.

We have the data; if the companies' reluctance to offer warranty assurances for burn-in wasn't proof enough. For something like Fifa even, on C7, we can see it have clear burn-in around 13000 hours mark ("The settings remain at their default values in the 'isf Dark Room' picture mode, with only the 'OLED Light' adjusted. The specific value depends between units, but is typical between 59 and 63 to reach our target of 200 nits."), though you can see the degradation in overall screen uniformity on magenta long before then, as well as 50% gray uniformity after 6000-7000 hours. And remember, this is with brightness at half & with a not very high risk game. Wanna enjoy the HDR goodness that's accompanying games nowadays? In some cases, dramatically altering the final look in a more positive light (heh) than even the best ray-tracing implementation? Well, tough luck. Now you can probably cut that 13000 hours life-span in half (i.e. see burn in that much sooner). In fact, if you look at worst case scenario, or close enough to it, it's CNN max brightness. 2200 hours in and you're done, burn in is there.

Remember, it's not about static content!!! I see too many people ignorantly try to paint it like if you don't have static content then burn in is going to be magically warded off by the dynamism of the moving picture. F A L S E! It's about cumulative usage. So long as said pixels get used for a particular colour then you'll see that aging manifest. Yes, having different frames means the chance of each single pixel seeing the same kind of aging is less likely but think about it in context, where's action usually concentrated on the screen? The center - explosions, car lights, suns, flashlights etc. That means that, god forbid, if you play in HDR and you take advantage of high-nit peak highlights from HDR you'll get that much closer to having those pixels age (i.e. burn-in). It's going to be very interesting to see all the hardcore Borderlands 3 players who are playing in HDR on their OLEDs and how that turns out.

OLED's already a great technology, but let's not kid ourselves, it's not flawless & burn-in + brightness will never be solved before we move on to other tech. For people keeping TVs for 3-4 years at most, OLED TVs will be fine for pretty much anything, even HDR games, so long as we're not talking 10+ hours of usage per day. For anyone looking to hold on to their TV for longer, maybe even pass it down, then avoid OLED at all costs.

Soldato
You're just fear mongering.

If I listened to people like that I'd have never bought an OLED, which was one of the best purchases I've ever made.

as for gauranteed burn in before replacement, just lol. You may as well just say guess what any tv you buy will degrade before you replace it because that's the truth. I dare you to show me one single TV that doesn't degrade over time, I'm waiting with my popcorn.

As for Rtings' data - it's entirely unrealistic but be that as it may, it's only relevant to business' like airlines that use TV screens to show the same thing all day. Actual consumers don't play Fifa 24 hours a day for 365 days straight. And even if all you did was play Fifa - how would you know you have burn in when you're just showing the same thing on the screen all the time

I've got 600 hours of mixed usage on my C9 since April this year, I'll let you know if I ever encounter burn in, so far nothing at all - the panel is as uniform as the day it arrived.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom