• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

can my card handle it?

Soldato
Well it certainly won't be doing native res at 166fps or even 60fps for that matter. You'll have to drop settings quite a bit.

It's a lot to spend on a monitor with such an old GPU I think realistically you'll need a new GPU unless you're happy really lowering the settings.

Associate
OP
Well it certainly won't be doing native res at 166fps or even 60fps for that matter. You'll have to drop settings quite a bit.

It's a lot to spend on a monitor with such an old GPU I think realistically you'll need a new GPU unless you're happy really lowering the settings.

I’m monitorless atm as myne died. I wouldn’t mind spending £300 on a monitor but these days that doesn’t look like it gets you anything? And is that monitor worth the extra £200 over them etc god knows.

Soldato
Hi guys what’s a good upgrade for my gigabyte g1 970 card? My pc specs are below. I’m looking at picking up a Acer Predator monitor below. As I don’t think my card will handle the 144hz? Games I play are wow,some bf and games like tomb raider, Skyrim. My main pc useage is multimedia with the odd gaming.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-098-ac.html

Its not that your card will handle 144hz I dont think you quite understand what it means. It wont "run at 144mhz" when it flexes its muscles. (Yes a 970 is gsync compatible) You get the monitor the desktop is set to 144mhz and then the GPU will do exactly the same it did before as you are gaming at the same resolution you did before.

Your old monitor was 1440p 75hz so all you are doing is allowing your GPU more room to breathe in some games that are not too intensive you might be pushing over your previous limit. It all depends did the 970 handle the games smoothly on your 75hz Sammy ? If they did it wont make any less difference to what you had before. Just because its a 144mhz monitor doesnt mean its going to run the 970 at 144fps! If you set the game to high before and set it to high with the Acer it will still run the same albeit possibly might be more fluid. Its still shifting the same amount of pixels.

Your monitor or display is where refresh rates come in. Refresh rate is measured in frequency (Hz) which is the number of times per second your monitor can redraw the screen. A refresh rate of 85Hz means that your display can redraw the entire screen 85 times in one second.

Does that mean that your frame rate is limited by your screen’s refresh rate? No; they are two separate things. Remember that FPS is how many frames your PC is producing or drawing, while the refresh rate is how many times the monitor is refreshing the image on the screen. The refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor does not affect the frame rate (FPS) your GPU will be outputting. However, if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate, your display will not be able to display all of the frames your computer is producing, so although the refresh rate doesn’t technically limit the frame rate, it does effectively set a cap.
Your monitor or display is where refresh rates come in. Refresh rate is measured in frequency (Hz) which is the number of times per second your monitor can redraw the screen. A refresh rate of 85Hz means that your display can redraw the entire screen 85 times in one second.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m monitorless atm as myne died. I wouldn’t mind spending £300 on a monitor but these days that doesn’t look like it gets you anything? And is that monitor worth the extra £200 over them etc god knows.

i think my Iyama was about £320 thats 1440p/144hz, its a TN panel though which some dont like.

Associate
OP
Its not that your card will handle 144hz I dont think you quite understand what it means. It wont "run at 144mhz" when it flexes its muscles. (Yes a 970 is gsync compatible) You get the monitor the desktop is set to 144mhz and then the GPU will do exactly the same it did before as you are gaming at the same resolution you did before.

Your old monitor was 1440p 75hz so all you are doing is allowing your GPU more room to breathe in some games that are not too intensive you might be pushing over your previous limit. It all depends did the 970 handle the games smoothly on your 75hz Sammy ? If they did it wont make any less difference to what you had before. Just because its a 144mhz monitor doesnt mean its going to run the 970 at 144fps! If you set the game to high before and set it to high with the Acer it will still run the same albeit possibly might be more fluid. Its still shifting the same amount of pixels.

Cheers mate.

I’m not a hardcore gamer only casual I just want a nice quality monitor tbh for all round use. I never liked the sammy I had. I never run maxed out settings either I don’t think. I’ve been monitorless for that system for a couple months now just using my iPad Pro lol, plus wow was my main played game which doesn’t require much effort. I also want a monitor that’s got some eye protection built in.

I also like the look of the 21.9 monitors I guess. I’m just looking at specs for something more future proofed hence looking at the Acer for £500. Is there a notable difference in system ui and browsing using the 144hz over my old monitor even the 60hz below? Surely my card can run that hz fine for overall system use? Just games I’d have to run lower settings and the hz is just what ever your pc allows u to push etc.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...s-super-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23l-sa.html

Soldato
I also like the look of the 21.9 monitors I guess. I’m just looking at specs for something more future proofed hence looking at the Acer for £500. Is there a notable difference in system ui and browsing using the 144hz over my old monitor even the 60hz below? Surely my card can run that hz fine for overall system use? Just games I’d have to run lower settings and the hz is just what ever your pc allows u to push etc.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...s-super-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23l-sa.html

You dont need to run lower settings your card will do the same as it did with the Sammy.

It was a PLS screen and the Acer is a IPS screen so you should see better viewing angles and it might look crispier but that again is nothing to do with your GPU.

People like to buy better GPU's when you have a 144mhz as the monitor allows you to run games at a higher FPS because you have a faster GPU and the extra headroom allows you to also up the visuals.

Think of it like a road you used to have that had a maximum speed allowed of 75mph. (Samsung)
The 970 is like a car that has a top speed of 75mph.

You then switch to a road that has a maximum speed allowed of 144mph (Acer)
The 970 can still do a top speed of 75mph on this new road exactly like it did before with the same visuals you used before.
Except now you can upgrade to a 2080 that will allow you to do 144mph with increased visuals.

Does that explain it better ?

Associate
do you really need 144hz?

I have a fury on a 4k monitor (60hz) and a vega 56 on a 1440 (60hz) and game reasonably. OK there are brief moments when I wish I had more FPS (or the monitor of doing>60 FPS).

That monitor that you have is very good. I favour 1440 as a resolution and a personally looking for a better 1440 monitor like the one you have. basically it sounds like you need a better gpu - the best that you can afford. Do you have a max budget for the GPU? If you can afford a rx5700XT then get one of those - if you can afford more then carry on climbing up the nvidea ladder.

Back
Top Bottom