BREXIT and its affect on computer part Prices.

Associate
So I am in the process of finishing off my new rig. I was not planning on finishing it till the end of November but realised recently potentially brexit is in three weeks. I have tried to find out in the worst case scenario (no deal brexit) would prices of pc parts increase enough to almost discourage my build? Do I just need to put my last components on my credit card and bite the bullet with some interest over the next two months, or will it not be that big of an impact that I could wait till into November?

I know we do not really know what might happen, but I believe there are those of us that are more educated and more clued up on this matter than I am.

Permabanned
3 risks come to mind:
1. weaker pound means it costs more to import
2. tariffs may change meaning imported stuff is subject to more/less tax
3. ports may be clogged up, meaning stuff struggles to get here, meaning lower supply, which results in higher prices

however....
4. prices rise over time, so simply by waiting you're guaranteeing stuff will cost more
5. it's black friday soon, could be some deals
6. changing your behaviour based on project fear is what turns worries into real impacts

so basically...
stop worrying about it + do whatever you were gonna do.

Associate
OP
3 risks come to mind:
1. weaker pound means it costs more to import
2. tariffs may change meaning imported stuff is subject to more/less tax
3. ports may be clogged up, meaning stuff struggles to get here, meaning lower supply, which results in higher prices

however....
4. prices rise over time, so simply by waiting you're guaranteeing stuff will cost more
5. it's black friday soon, could be some deals
6. changing your behaviour based on project fear is what turns worries into real impacts

so basically...
stop worrying about it + do whatever you were gonna do.
You make a fair point, Sir.
In your experience, do things like PC cases, vertical gpu kits and AIO's ever go on sale on black Friday?

Soldato
You make a fair point, Sir.
In your experience, do things like PC cases, vertical gpu kits and AIO's ever go on sale on black Friday?

Cyber Monday is straight after black Friday. Most places have deals but that might just be the same price it was 6 months ago (but still cheaper than the current price)

Caporegime
Prices might get cheaper if we get a US free trade deal and can import goods cheaper from there, I can't wait until I can order from the US via Ebay without getting robbed on tariffs. What exactly does the EU do in terms of big tech anyway? about the closest they get is leeching off US big tech firms financially through fines.

Commissario
Prices might get cheaper if we get a US free trade deal and can import goods cheaper from there, I can't wait until I can order from the US via Ebay without getting robbed on tariffs. What exactly does the EU do in terms of big tech anyway? about the closest they get is leeching off US big tech firms financially through fines.
Erm you're aware there is a difference between tariffs and VAT aren't you?

Tariff's are applied before any specific local sales taxes, usually to protect the local industry - so where there isn't one tariffs may not apply, or may only apply for certain times of the year (for example your growing season).
VAT which is the main reason you get charges on importing stuff from outside the EU is a different matter and is applied to almost everything usually at a very limited range of rates.

Given the UK government used to charge 17.5% as the standard VAT rate, then dropped it to 15%, then back up to 20% all without any issues from the EU what makes you think that your computer parts will suddenly get that much cheaper if we get a free trade agreement with the US, given that we'll still be paying vat on imports over £15 (down from the £18 it used to be, again nothing to do with the EU).

At the moment for personal imports IIRC duty is only charged when the goods reach a certain usually high threshold, whilst VAT is charged from the moment the goods come to £15.01.

The only way you get away from VAT is if the government raises the vat threshold for personal imports (not likely, especially in regards to it making a difference for computer gear), or we enter a customs union with the US, in which we'd be very much the junior partner with no say (unlike in the EU where we are an equal partner at the minimum, and have a veto over a number of important matters).

Soldato
You can get stung hard on import tax on good from the US :/

It's annoying when you need something which isn't sold in Europe.

Commissario
You can get stung hard on import tax on good from the US :/

It's annoying when you need something which isn't sold in Europe.
Can you please explain what "import tax" you're talking about?

Are you talking about import Duty (hundreds, if not thousands of different rates, not applied to everything).
Vat
Something else?

As Vat, typically the big one you get hit for on imports from the US given it's applied when the value of the goods is just £15 (whilst many of the duties are applied only once the value of the goods reaches £100+), is a very different beast to any "tariff" and will still be applied regardless of any trade agreement with the US, unless we enter a customs arrangement with them.

Caporegime
If we leave with a decent deal, the pound may go up a bit. if we crash out with no deal, the pound will likely plummet even lower than it is now. If we don't leave at all and end up staying in the EU due to a 2nd ref, expect the pound to sky rocket.

As an example, It went up from 1.22 to 1.24 in the last few hours just on the news that the UK PM and Irish PM thought there may be an avenue to a deal.

This is of no help to you though, because literally no one knows what will happen in the end.

Back
Top Bottom