Going to Vietnam! Any tips?

Soldato
OP
Yes that's great thanks @martin363 excellent info there. Question regarding the USD posted above, do they use USD there? :confused:

EDIT: Also is it safe to say a lot of Vietnamese food is really 'made' by adding all the accoutrements? Like Pho, you add your extra fish sauce, sweet soy/etc., herbs, chili oil etc? We've tried Pho before and my girlfriend wasn't a massive fan but she is never one for condiments and didn't add any. Do I need to explain to her this is how it should be eaten? :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Eat as much Banh Mi as possible, the one in Hoi An was particaulary tasty. Beer street in Hanoi is pretty cool too. Like 40p a beer?

Yes that's great thanks @martin363 excellent info there. Question regarding the USD posted above, do they use USD there? :confused:

EDIT: Also is it safe to say a lot of Vietnamese food is really 'made' by adding all the accoutrements? Like Pho, you add your extra fish sauce, sweet soy/etc., herbs, chili oil etc? We've tried Pho before and my girlfriend wasn't a massive fan but she is never one for condiments and didn't add any. Do I need to explain to her this is how it should be eaten? :)

Most of the time I didn't add much to Pho ( I ate it pretty much every day for 3 weeks), some lime and coriander maybe a little soy, fish sauce. You can though and it's normally on the table. But most of the time it was tasty enough.

Have you tried pho in Vietnam? Pho is huge for breakfast.

Man I miss Pho. :/

Associate

USD is used, but convert it to Dong, many money exchanges. The gov is trying to stop any purchases in USD as it effectively becomes black money. as a business here it is illegal to pay for goods in Vietnam in USD.

I work in the food industry here, so I guess my question... you are right. Pho is a broth with noodles, protein and fresh herbs. it is served bland and then as with most Vietnamese foods, the food is seasoned with sauces, Cholimex chilli sauce is the post popular, but soy pastes and fish sauces are also used (as are fresh chopped chilli's). if salt and pepper are used (and not with pho) then they are usually mixed together with a bit of lime juice and the food dipped into it.

Coincidently, a view of a sauce factory from my office as I type this reply..

Edl3bmOh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Very cool. I'm looking forward to lots of Pho, Banh Mi and Bahn Xeo for sure. Any other foodstuffs we should hunt out? :)

Soldato
Having travelled Vietnam extensively in 2016-2018 as my ex was from there I recommend you do this.

Ninh Binh such a stunning landscape please go on the boats on the river we used the hotel bikes and went everywhere. I also recommend that you visit the Mua caves and go to the top absoloutely amazing views for miles.

Danang go to Bana hills it such an awesome place I went before the new hand walkway been put in looks so awesome, I also recommend Marble mountain and if you hit the right time they have celebrations on the bridge well worth it.

Ho Chi Minh- Just have to experience the level of crazyness of crossing the road and the amount of scooter traffic was so overwhelming for me at first. But you learn how to cross it easily found online but please watch out for filter of bikes because it red dosnt mean nobody will stop. You can do the tour to Cu Chi tunnels from base of Ho Chi Minh I personally enjoyed the experience it was even more fun being taken on back of a motorbike to the tunnels. I personally find the city very overwhelming in the senses though It made me extremely tired maybe due to the heat and humidity also. But it also very fascinating city my ex took me on back of her bike everywhere plus I spent time with her family a lot I got to see places and culture like no tourist.

Halong Bay/Bai Tu Long bay - I used Indochina junk for 2 days 1 night cruise and it was really good it went by so fast though but it sure is a must and very romantic.

Hoi An- Needs no explanation it was amazing at night with all the lanterns.

Grab is the king in Asia (equivalent to Uber) or it was when I travelled Asia last year be wary of touts as come out of Airport you will get hounded just use Grab. I dont know if the pickup station have changed im out of sync but use tripadvisor forum and find out the information all the information you need is out there.

Remember Vietnam is still very poor and very raw dont expect to go and see a spotless city, the people are very nice on the whole though. I will leave it at that I could go on forever but the memorys I have of Vietnam are fantastic I have travelled a fair bit of Asia it still one of my favourite countrys.

Don
Grab is the king in Asia (equivalent to Uber) or it was when I travelled Asia last year be wary of touts as come out of Airport you will get hounded just use Grab. I dont know if the pickup station have changed im out of sync but use tripadvisor forum and find out the information all the information you need is out there.

I use Grab in Bangkok but in HCMC I just use Vinasun

Soldato
OP
Home Finest is very good in HCM as is Ly Club

Home Hoi An (same owners) is great, Morning Glory in Hoi An also really good
Thanks for the suggestions. These looks quite fancy (although obviously they are not expensive for us). I have saved them. Do you have any less salubrious places we should check out? Or am I kidding myself we're going to be eating in little shacks every night like Obama and Anthony Bourdain? :) We managed to eat 99% of our meals at hawker markets in Singapore for example, and the one meal we ate in a restaurant was awful. Is this not the case in Vietnam?

Associate
Very true and make sure you are always wearing a helmet - even if dont want to for safety (which would be reckless) the police love any opportunity to fine you

Soldato
If using a taxi company - use Mai Linh or Vinasun only. Do not use any other, even if they have a meter. I found out myself when we got ripped off at the airport :(

Soldato
OP
If using a taxi company - use Mai Linh or Vinasun only. Do not use any other, even if they have a meter. I found out myself when we got ripped off at the airport :(
We're going to book a transfer to/from the airport - because life is too short and I don't want to start a holiday that way. I doubt we'll get many taxis, although this brings to mind the fact I haven't actually investigated the best way to get around the big cities. Are there Tube/Metro systems in Hanoi or HCMC? :confused:

Also, need to investigate vaccinations properly. We went to Cuba 3 years ago so thinking we're still covered. Would like to double check though.

Associate
Not too sure if someone has already mentioned this or not. But the traffic is crazy. The volume of bikes is mental. Word of advice but if you're going to Hanoi and if you want to cross a road, don't expect the traffic (mainly mopeds and small motorbikes) to stop for you at zebra crossings, red lights etc. All you do, is to walk out onto road at a steady and consistent pace. The oncoming traffic will just ride around you. A bit like, the parting of the Oceans ;) Takes a little while to get the hang of, but just walk at a steady pace and you'll be fine.

Also, visit Halong Bay and try to spend 2 nights on board a boat. They'll show you the Islands, Caves etc and they'll even teach you how to cook Vietnamese food on board. Look out for the little monkeys that live on the Islands.

I also took the sleeper train from Hanoi to Sapa and spent 2/3 nights there. You get to go trekking through the valleys and meet local tribes. That was great fun. They also accept American Dollar. In fact, i think they prefer it.

And one last tip. Visit one of their Patisseries. With them being colonised by the French, their breads and cakes delightful.

Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom