• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
To those who wanted a benchmark with Polaris & Vega with RIS on/off

@Poneros for months you were supporting the idea that RIS & Reshade CAS is the same because of Navi performance. Apparently not given the performance hit Polaris & Vega get with Reshade CAS.

Soldato
To those who wanted a benchmark with Polaris & Vega with RIS on/off

@Poneros for months you were supporting the idea that RIS & Reshade CAS is the same because of Navi performance. Apparently not given the performance hit Polaris & Vega get with Reshade CAS.

Honestly, I'll put you on ignore after this because you turned into such a zealot that rational discussion is completely gone. Worst of all we've already had this discussion but it seems to just go through one ear and out the other. Exhibit A: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32865027

RIS is visually equivalent to the ffx reshade

But yeah, pretend like I said something I didn't say.

I've given you enough chances.

Soldato
Honestly, I'll put you on ignore after this because you turned into such a zealot that rational discussion is completely gone. Worst of all we've already had this discussion but it seems to just go through one ear and out the other. Exhibit A: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32865027

But yeah, pretend like I said something I didn't say.

I've given you enough chances.

Hah. For months we argued about this, yet you were adamant isn't the case. Now you put me on ignore list? :D

Associate
Has AMD decided to drop support for some older resolutions in recent drivers(for example 1366x768)? Both my home system(Radeon 570) and the computer at work(Radeon 560) don't list some older resolutions with recent Catalyst drivers. Using an older driver like 19.5.* makes that resolution available. Anything more recent and the resolution is removed from the list. My former card(Radeon 380) also exhibits this behaviour. Seems like it's something most people wouldn't notice since such resolutions are hardly ever used anymore but l like having the option setting the secondary screen at such resolution for work purposes.

Soldato
Has AMD decided to drop support for some older resolutions in recent drivers(for example 1366x768)? Both my home system(Radeon 570) and the computer at work(Radeon 560) don't list some older resolutions with recent Catalyst drivers. Using an older driver like 19.5.* makes that resolution available. Anything more recent and the resolution is removed from the list. My former card(Radeon 380) also exhibits this behaviour. Seems like it's something most people wouldn't notice since such resolutions are hardly ever used anymore but l like having the option setting the secondary screen at such resolution for work purposes.

There is new functionality around the GPU Scaling switch and setting custom resolutions in games.

Soldato
If you mean freesync over hdmi thats already doable on my vega 56 with my aoc monitor if i use a hdmi cable, least, i think it worked when i tried it once.
freesync over hdmi works for me on an lg superwide with a vega64. :)

As @LoadsaMoney said. I wrote HDMI 2.1 VRR not HDMI Freesync which is working since 2015 :)
And this is something AMD promised on CES 2018 for all existing cards back then.

Soldato
As @LoadsaMoney said. I wrote HDMI 2.1 VRR not HDMI Freesync which is working since 2015 :)
And this is something AMD promised on CES 2018 for all existing cards back then.

Do you have a link for this promise? The reason I ask is how can AMD promise something hardware to an already released GPU? Unless HDMI 2.0 can be patched to 2.1?

Variable Refresh Rate VRR isn't that just Freesync?

Soldato
VRR is freesync and gsync's types of tech.

Maybe hdmi 2.1 tv sets/monitors connected via amd cards isnt freesync compatible yet due to drivers and thats what he's on about but knows older displays with lower hdmi works ok. Tho id have thought hdmi 2.1 was backwards compatible.

Edit, i see where that promise is from and yeah i guess it is weird amd drivers dont support the hdmi 2.1 version just older ones.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/ces-2018-2018jan07

Graphics & Gaming Updates

AMD discussed its first mobile discrete graphics solution based on the "Vega" architecture. This razor-thin Radeon Vega Mobile GPU is designed to enable new, powerful gaming notebooks in 2018 with extraordinary performance and incredible efficiency.

AMD also announced that Radeon™ Software will add support for HDMI 2.1 Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology on Radeon™ RX products in an upcoming driver release. This support will come as an addition to the Radeon™ FreeSync technology umbrella, as displays with HDMI 2.1 VRR support reach market.

Ubisoft announced that Far Cry 5 will support Radeon™ RX Vega specific features like Rapid Packed Math as well as Radeon™ FreeSync 2 technology. Radeon™ RX Vega owners will be able to enjoy Far Cry 5 at exceptional fidelity, with stunning frame rates and beautiful image quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have a link for this promise? The reason I ask is how can AMD promise something hardware to an already released GPU? Unless HDMI 2.0 can be patched to 2.1?

Variable Refresh Rate VRR isn't that just Freesync?

AMD's website from CES2018 and all media outlets like
https://www.techspot.com/news/72627-amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-coming-april-desktop-ryzen.html
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-roadmap-updates-and-apus-with-vega-preview.html

If you had spend 1 minute on google typing "CES 2018 AMD HDMI 2.1" you would have got plenty of pages :)

Permabanned
Pressing alt and enter used to fix this for me. The games i used to have problems with this happened on both Nvidia and AMD so was likely a game problem back then. It's worth a go though as it's never failed me yet when it happens.

Double click of the left mouse button over the black game window at the top left corner also helps.

And something from AMD.com:
"AMD software and drivers are designed to work best for up-to-date operating systems. Please be sure to update your operating system before installing drivers."

Associate
New drivers out - 19.10.1 Looks to be mainly Borderlands 3 fixes.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-10-1

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.1 Highlights
Support For

• AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 desktop graphics products
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 5500M mobile graphics products
  • GRID™
Fixed Issues
  • Borderlands™3 may experience an application crash or hang when running DirectX®12 API.
  • Borderlands™3 may experience lighting corruption when running DirectX®12 API.
  • Display artifacts may be experienced on some 75hz display configurations on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics system configurations.
  • Radeon FreeSync™2 capable displays may fail to enable HDR when HDR is enabled via Windows® OS on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products system configurations.
  • Some displays may intermittently flash black when Radeon FreeSync is enabled and the system is at idle or on desktop.
Known Issues
  • Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience display loss when resuming from sleep or hibernate when multiple displays are connected.
  • Toggling HDR may cause system instability during gaming when Radeon ReLive is enabled.
  • Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4 may experience stutter on some system configurations.
  • Open Broadcasting Software™ may experience frame drops or stutter when using AMF encoding on some system configurations.
  • HDMI® overscan and underscan options may be missing from Radeon Settings on AMD Radeon VII system configurations when the primary display is set to 60hz.
  • Stutter may be experienced when Radeon FreeSync is enabled on 240hz refresh displays with Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • AMD Radeon VII may experience elevated memory clocks at idle or on desktop.

Soldato
Can someone tell me like I am a complete idiot in as few a words as possible why anyone uses such driver things as -

RIS

Chill

Afterburner or whatever it's called sorry I forgot

I don't understand the use for any of it?

Soldato
Can someone tell me like I am a complete idiot in as few a words as possible why anyone uses such driver things as -

RIS

Chill

Afterburner or whatever it's called sorry I forgot

I don't understand the use for any of it?
RIS is basically a way to reduce your rendering resolution whilst keeping visual quality high. For example, instead of rendering at 2560x1440, you could render at 1920x1080 and enable RIS. It won't look as good, but it'll look better than just rendering at 1920x1080. Of course you'd then get the benefit of a higher frame rate because rendering at a lower resolution is easier for the card, and RIS has minimal impact on performance.

Chill is particularly useful for laptops or louder cards. It lets the frame rate drop when there isn't much movement on screen. Instead of rendering everything as fast as possible, it instead might see that you're not moving your character and drop the FPS from 100 to 40 FPS (random example). Your card will obviously run cooler when not working as hard.

I personally don't use either feature. I am very sensitive to image quality, particularly frame rates, so I prefer native rendering and high frame & refresh rates at all times, but they are certainly useful features for some.

Afterburner is a third-party app that allows you to change your card's voltages, clock speeds, and fan profiles. I personally only use it for a nice custom fan "curve" (really a stair step) because AMD's fan control is *****. I use AMD's own WattMann for my undervolt and overclock though since it works fine. Maybe one day I'll be able to ditch Afterburner.

Back
Top Bottom