Cooling fans not coming on

Soldato
OP
I tested the old thermostat it would not open when put in boiling water.. so hopefully fitting a new thermostat will cure the problem

Last edited:
Associate
The temp gauge works in the car, it goes from cold to hot as the engine warms up then rises higher as you drive it.
The heater also works turning switching from hot to cold and vice versa.

Do I need to remove the fans or so I test them while they are still connected to the car?

Thanks guys
You don’t need to remove the fans you should be able to get to it with your hand or a pokey thing. Is the radiator getting warm? With temp gauge at 90 Check the top hose and the bottoms hose too. Hot top hose will tell you that the thermostat has opened, around 80-90*c. Top, bottom hose and radiator should all be hot. Then it will be a temp sensor in the rad or head if it has one

Soldato
OP
Looks like it was the thermostat, was stuck on being closed. Drove it for about an hour and a bit on Sunday evening it all seemed fine. No overheating or anything :)

Associate
Looks like it was the thermostat, was stuck on being closed. Drove it for about an hour and a bit on Sunday evening it all seemed fine. No overheating or anything :)
You could if you were stuck temporarily remove the thermostat. Mpgeez will be a little worse as it will take forever to get up to temp but it will get you moving.

Edit you could do the taxi mod. Cardboard box covering the rad, just remember to remove when it starts to overheat.
Walkers cheese and onion works best followed by quavers

Back
Top Bottom