Mot testers over the top?

Associate
Are Mot tester getting a bit over the top now days?

just been given a "Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories): Items removed from driver's view prior to test ()" on my most recent test for one of those little tree shaped air fresheners, come on was that really necessary?

Soldato
Yes. I would imagine it's because if that person causes an accident two days later where it was deemed their lack of visibility was at fault, the MOT tester could be in hot water if they haven't shown that they acknowledged it.

Soldato
Yes. I would imagine it's because if that person causes an accident two days later where it was deemed their lack of visibility was at fault, the MOT tester could be in hot water if they haven't shown that they acknowledged it.

But they could just say it wasn't there at the time.

Soldato
It's a bit like the old "engine covers fitted" or "sill covers fitted" - annoying blemishes on an otherwise clean MOT record, but they make sense when you think about it. The testers aren't allowed to remove anything to test, so for all they know the sill covers could be hiding so much corrosion that they are the sill :D

Man of Honour
Last couple of years they've updated/changed the testing and increased accountability and what has to be recorded, etc. you'll find a lot less in the way of testers who are prepared to let thing slide, etc. now.

Soldato
Well they're not supposed to be left so I usually remove any sat nav mounts or airfresheners that are in my view. For obvious reasons. MOT tester is just doing his job.

Caporegime
Well they're not supposed to be left so I usually remove any sat nav mounts or airfresheners that are in my view. For obvious reasons. MOT tester is just doing his job.
My dash cam is behind my rear view mirror and can’t be seen unless I bend down. Passed no problem, I guess because it’s not in my view.

Soldato
My dash cam is behind my rear view mirror and can’t be seen unless I bend down. Passed no problem, I guess because it’s not in my view.
That's exactly it.. if it "blocks or restricts" your view it is an issue.. and something like the little tree airfreshener can hide a lot.. a motorcyclist for e.g.

Permabanned
That's exactly it.. if it "blocks or restricts" your view it is an issue.. and something like the little tree airfreshener can hide a lot.. a motorcyclist for e.g.
Not really an issue for an mot tester though that’s more for the police imo.

If it’s fixed in the window then that’s fair enough but an air freshener, come on.

Soldato
Not really an issue for an mot tester though that’s more for the police imo.

If it’s fixed in the window then that’s fair enough but an air freshener, come on.
MOT testers follow rules in the handbook, simple as that... If they didn't they can get their license revoked and who would want that due to an airfreshener.... Come on.

Caporegime
To be fair, the tester has done you a favor.

Officially he should have asked your permission before removing any items from field of view.

If you did not give your permission, or he could not get your permission (you didn't get back to the tester in reasonable time for instance) then technically,

"any obstruction within the driver’s field of view that materially affects his view in front or to the sides outside the swept area of windscreen", is a fail, although only a minor.

and

"any obstruction materially affecting the driver’s view of the road through the swept area of the windscreen or an obligatory external mirror not visible", is a major fail.

So him removing the items first and then only giving an advisory, you should be rather thankful, the tester was not sticking to the strict letter of the rule book, as it should have been a major fail, as items hanging from rear view mirror are bang in the middle of the swept area of windscreen.

Source : https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-of-windscreen/

Soldato
Bit of rubbish isn't it though, the actual mirror in my car blocks more than the mirror in my other car with an air freshener on it.

Back
Top Bottom