What have you done to your car today?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Having owned a Golf R before my current pre facelift 8v RS3, initially they didn’t feel too dissimilar, but more I’ve driven the RS the more you realise how silly quick it is.

Just feels relentless in pulling, doesn’t feel like it lets up at all.

Certainly feels a bigger heavier car though, not as nimble, whereas the Golf still felt like a hot hatch this does feel more like a bigger car.

Not driven a facelift with the 400bhp yet but imagine it’s even more brutal with the lower weight as well.

Associate
Started changing the rear pads last week and got stopped with a slider pin being proper wedged/rusted in the carrier.
Bought some new pins and rubber boots during the week and got the stuck one out today in-between the rain with a blow torch a hammer and big flat head screw driver ;)
Think I will need a new handbrake cable on the same side as it's still sticking when letting the handbrake off, is it a DIY job on a MK2 Seat Leon?

Man of Honour
Could not update my apps on the stereo today because there wasn't enough internal space to update :(

Seems the 1GB of internal storage dedicated for apps has finally hit the limit from the installed app caches and user data.

Had to rack my brains back to the old Android days where we had to use Apps2SD to increase internal storage and link it to the SD card. Luckily I had a really fast 64GB MicroSD card from the dashcam days so that worked a treat.

Now I am lost on deciding what other apps I'd like to install, Prime Video might be a shout..... :p

Caporegime
They are MTEC yes, and Mintex pads. No idea what they cost, they were in the boot cos the low brake warning was on when I bought it.

e; £100. Fronts were £200 and already fitted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Installed a cheapo DAB tuner. Does the job, tucked away in the armrest, it's going to be on BBC6 99% of the time so can't be arsed putting it on display anywhere, I can open it up if/when I want to change stations.

Should really stop with things for the car now (E90 318i M Sport with 140k on the clock), only meant to be a stopgap, but I've forgotten how nice 3 series are to drive...I'll probably end up running it for years :p I've given the steering wheel a good clean to take the shine off, but the wheel trim has lost half the rubberized coating. £100 quid for a new part though!

Caporegime
Coming off the slip road. Obviously giving it some welly i saw a massive plume of steam out of the back of my car. Initially thought i blew the turbo and then head gasket as I had a low coolant warning on the dash but was just a split in the heater hose pipe. I had to call AA out I was 2 hours from home. They used this stuff called fiberfix to fix the leak and held like a champ. Obviously I am going to replace the hoses (Already ordered silicone replacements) but it wouldn't surprise me if it lasted the life of the car. Going to keep a roll under the boot floor at all times now!

Associate
That main thing with the new super hatches is that they are incredibly fast in a straight line due to the double clutch transmissions and 4wd but their weight is always their Achilles heel. Old Subaru's and Evo's quite easily do 7min runs on the ring but the newer cars really struggle to break into the 7's.

Even still you will struggle to beat a modern hot hatch in the sprint to 60 due to gearbox and launch. A starlet is never going to do a 3 second dash to 60 in a million years. Rolling start it will murder it obviously to bhp/tonne but the golf will make far better use of what it has.

Only just seen this. You are completely correct lol my Starlet struggles at 30mph rolling start in 2nd as it just spins the wheels, this is where weight goes against you.

This is along with the main bearing cap size is why I did the 5E 1.5L engine conversion as once you go into 3rd the 300+ ft lbs of torque comes through. Then into 4th and 5th light-speed gear it gets insane up to maxing out the box and bouncing 5th gear off the limiter.

I really don't want to put it away in the garage for winter as it has been so much fun, but I always have a rule same as with my motorcycles (toys) :D . When the gritter comes out away it goes :( Back to the old Corolla workhorse which I still cant get used to the 2ZZ-GE engine with the crappy ratios on the Corolla box.

Associate
They are MTEC yes, and Mintex pads. No idea what they cost, they were in the boot cos the low brake warning was on when I bought it.

e; £100. Fronts were £200 and already fitted.
Repping the Toyota I see. Welcome to one of the most reliable car brands on the earth lol. When did this happen? Quite the switch for you as your forum rep goes haha :D

BC coilovers on it too, make sure the shock body isn't seized to the shocker with ride height adjustment as you will have a real game to break them free if they were not copper greased........

Why have you put terrible spacers on it lol, please don't go for that 'VIP' 'Stance' look.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Repping the Toyota I see. Welcome to one of the most reliable car brands on the earth lol. When did this happen? Quite the switch for you as your forum rep goes haha :D

BC coilovers on it too, make sure the shock body isn't seized to the shocker with ride height adjustment as you will have a real game to break them free if they were not copper greased........

Why have you put terrible spacers on it lol, please don't go for that 'VIP' 'Stance' look.

This is the 4th Toyota I've owned. My first one was my second car, a Corolla T-Sport when I was 19. Despite my "rep" I've only actually made 2 or 3 poor purchases out of the now 12 cars I've owned. The bad things are the things people remember. ;)

Hubcentric spacers aren't too bad, they are on it all round now because the standard offsets of the 350Z Rays alloys don't look right, they are too tucked in.

As for whether ot not I plan on going for the "VIP stance" look, I don't plan on doing the stupid camber, curtain clad, champagne glass holder OTT thing with it, but I would like some nice JDM chrome dishy wheels at some point.

Here is a pic of it prior to my ownership with some SSR Vienna Kreis.

fVl1nYm.jpg

And the 350Z wheels it has currently. (Though since this pic was taken the rears have been spaced out 20MM, and the Nissan centre cap badges have been replaced with 'Rays' ones. Also gone from 215 front to 225 front, and will soon be going from 225 rear to 235 rear, to get rid of the stretch)

PNxrl8R.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, finally had a decent drive in the Clio yesterday. Since I got it, it has been needing the timing belt done. So didn't drive it really apart from to the garage to get that done. But I went to work for a couple weeks in between. Then on the way to the garage, the ABS light came on. A few expensive but common fixes later, and it was all back together, and ready for collection.

Most of the drive was on a motorway / dual carriageway / city centre. But the last 15 miles or so was all fun. Well, I got to the limits of the tyres at least (Toyo Proxes). Next on the list is a gearbox oil change, and thermostat / coolant flush. Then brake fluid. Then, better rubber and brown underwear. I can see why these things have the reputation they have. Not the fastest car by any stretch. But they do take a corner well.

Must get some time to give it a good polish.

Back
Top Bottom