Been involved in a car accident and the situation is a mess

Soldato
Really boils my blood this! People are so sorry and apologetic at the time, then they slither away and start lying about everything!

My missus was at the front of a 3 car accident a few months back, the guy who caused it at the back denied even being at the scene!!!! luckily my missus took pictures of him on the phone standing next to his written off car. But hes still now somehow denying liability!!!
would that scum bag not be liable to get done for fraud (or something similar) when it's proven he was at the scene?

Soldato
would that scum bag not be liable to get done for fraud (or something similar) when it's proven he was at the scene?

Nothing ever seems to happen with stuff like this. But you'd think he'd be liable for prosecution wouldn't you!
The insurers make a decision and everyone just moves on.
If statements were taken seriously and you were held to your word then perhaps you wouldn't get everyone denying everything with car accidents!

The whole case is still open though, so we'll see what happens. But how you can deny its your fault when you rearend stationary traffic in broad daylight with good visibility on a motorway I'll never know!

Depends what the issues are as to whether there is any come back for people after

Police will deal with any significant RTA issues, such as failure to report, doing a runner etc. Insurance companies will tend to piggy back of these sorts of things if resolved quickly

The ins cos are trying to deal with the situation and close it asap. They don't want stuff hanging on and open for long periods, the workload, but also they cannot finalise their liabilities.
Its not really fraud, its attempted fraud in effect, plus with enough options of excuses etc thats why very few people will be progressed, again see above, they want this stuff closed off.
Oddly they will however go after people far more aggressively afterwards if it does become fraud as opposed to attempted, so if someone does lie, get away with something then later its found out.
Its why they seem to go after policy holders who mis declare mods yet seemingly not after rejected claims for whiplash etc. One is proven fraud, the other is attempted.

Soldato
have the insurance company seen pictures of the damage ?
sounds odd, that he cut in on the offside rear of your car, as opposed to your front offside; if you had swiped him wouldn't it have taken out your offside mirror too.
...anyway -do pictures not help indicate who was responsible ?

Soldato
OP
In hindsight I would have had dash cam not such a high excess etc etc I actually have a dash cam but never got round to fitting it on this car what a huge mistake. I have sent the texts and the damage to me does indicate the other driver is at fault J think if they got any sort of independent expert to look at the damage it would be evident that the damage was mostly caused by the other drivers tyre when turning in harsh.

So just to confirm if it does goes 50/50 I won’t lose all my no claims?

Soldato
It depends upon your insurance policy. Sometimes they knock you back a few years. You need to read your insurance policy. If you do lose any no claims bonus you need to claim that off the other driver.

Soldato
OP
I took pictures at the scene and exchanged details that’s about it. To my own naivety I thought the location of the damage was obvious and his admission at the scene I didn’t really think it could possibly go any other way with the damage being at the rear of my car and the front of his car. Expensive lesson learnt I will have to get a dash cam fitted when my car arrives and hope for the best outcome possible hopefully the texts could provide me with a bit of weight if it was to ever go to court.

Caporegime
I took pictures at the scene and exchanged details that’s about it. To my own naivety I thought the location of the damage was obvious and his admission at the scene I didn’t really think it could possibly go any other way with the damage being at the rear of my car and the front of his car. Expensive lesson learnt I will have to get a dash cam fitted when my car arrives and hope for the best outcome possible hopefully the texts could provide me with a bit of weight if it was to ever go to court.
Can you post the photos? Surely they show by the damage that you couldn’t have caused the accident?

Soldato
Surely when drawing a diagram of the accident it'll show the collision happened right by the slip road. Your photos should show that you stopped directly after the slip road. There would be no logical reason for you to move into his lane, and plenty of reason for him to pill a dodgy manoeuvre to make his exit. What road and junction was it?

Soldato
As discussed recently, in both webcam + white-van vs.tesla threads, even with a webcam front+back, might not exonerate you if you cannot see accurately where you were in the lane, that's my reservation about purchasing one too, for capturing oncoming mirror swipe incidents.

I guess you don't have protected no claims clause.

[ Obviously - don't post overly revelaing images on here ]

Caporegime
I'd also say, anything involving a rear quarter panel can cost thousands to repair. It's an integral part of the chassis as opposed to a welded on wing like at the front. If it's dent or it's on more than one panel a quality repair will be in excess of £1k easily, more like a total cost of in excess of £2k once you've added on hire car if you get one etc. Can you afford to be without a car for 3-5 days?

Soldato
I don’t really don’t understand why people try to argue a fault claim back to 50/50, they still have a fault claim on their record which pushes up their premium regardless. The sorts of values we are talking here isn’t going to make any difference to next years premium compared to just having the fault claim.

Associate

In today's insurance game even that probably won't help. A family member had the side of his car backed into by somebody coming out of a parking bay.

He had dash cam, blindingly obvious damage (he would have had to been going sideways to hit the other guys rest) and the insurance still refused to challenge the other guy when he denied liability. Probably as it was the same company for both parties. Ended up 50/50

Soldato
Do you not have legal cover?

After 18 months of solictors when I got written off, I will finally recieve all my expenses back. They've even had to pay for a credit hire car I had.

I was driven into on a roundabout, I was in the inside lane and they came from the furthest out and smashed my front end.

Back
Top Bottom