*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
I use Metcon 5s for everything, deads, squats etc. They perform well.

My AC pain eased off after 1 day thank goodness, I'll significantly reduce my bench weight on Sunday and will build back up to my current PBs. Deadlifting will likely aggravate it slightly today. First session today working from a 250kg 1RM. 205kg for 4x5 are going to be painful!

Man of Honour
Please stop deadlifting in your oly shoes. The last thing you want is something that will lift your heel and push you further ahead of the bar.

:D

Sit back and get your core braced properly, as you're lifting with your back. I wonder if you're just not sure about trust your glutes, here, as you have similar reservations with your squats, too...

Soldato

Sit back and get your core braced properly, as you're lifting with your back. I wonder if you're just not sure about trust your glutes, here, as you have similar reservations with your squats, too...

When you say "sit back" do you mean drop my hips? (I used to do this)/ The Mark Rippletoe tutorial explicitly said not to although I know there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Soldato
It's quite similar to what I was being told about starting too low on a deadlift.
If you put a few Kg on the bar, and play around with the position, do some RDL. You get a good feel for getting the tension in your hamstrings.
I'm not an expert (as I was also asking advice :p ) but that's what I was doing to feel the tightness better.

Soldato

So lifting with a heel only deficit...still better when learning to deadlift to not wear the shoes..

Man of Honour
So lifting with a heel only deficit...still better when learning to deadlift to not wear the shoes..

Nobody should deadlift in weightlifting shoes: why make a lift harder and more dangerous without a good reason? Especially when learning...?

The only reason I do it is because I don't really deadlift. :D

Soldato
I'm able to find an extra day to visit the gym each week from next month (3 days up from 2).

I was thinking about trying stronglifts 5x5. The only thing is, it's recommend training - Mon/Wed/Fri to give you a days rest in between. I can only go Mon/Tues/Thurs. Will this be okay or do I really need that rest with all the squatting? Should I go for a regular 3 day split instead?

Soldato
Hey @reiyushin
When following the plan in your sig, have you any advice for going about the 'new max'?
I've never really worked like this before, should I just add a % to my old max and see if I can lift it? or is there an advised step you should try?
Also, am I to get a new max for all movements? ie DL, RDL, close grip bench, bench, front squat and back sqaut?

Soldato
You've got a bunch of choices, ideally you'd just add 2.5kg - 5kg to each of your maxes and smash them.
You can go for them all or pick your favourites and push them a little, in most cases I have people do them all as they tend to develop fairly uniformly.

4 weeks is a fast turnaround before you try again so gentle, steady increases are preferred.

I usually warm to about 90% of my max then assess where I'm going next, most of the time that's 1 to 5kgs over max. I'll nudge it up again if that rep was exceptionally good but for the most part it's better to leave it and repeat the cycle with a new max than to tank yourself on a rough attempt.

Soldato
I haven't trained in a year, was doing fairly well and was producing the results I wanted.(due to working absurd hours and travelling for the work it was hard for me to fit any training into my schedule)

Now I have new job which i start on Monday I can train way better and eat a lot better....anyway do guys suggest I do light weights for first month or so but gradually building each up by a few kg each week?

I presume i should hit my old strength back within a month or so?

Soldato
I haven't trained in a year, was doing fairly well and was producing the results I wanted.(due to working absurd hours and travelling for the work it was hard for me to fit any training into my schedule)

Now I have new job which i start on Monday I can train way better and eat a lot better....anyway do guys suggest I do light weights for first month or so but gradually building each up by a few kg each week?

I presume i should hit my old strength back within a month or so?
What were you lifting weight wise previously?

A simple solution would be to do stronglifts and start light and progress every session. Bar for everything and 60kg for deads so the bar is at a more optimal height, rather then to low.

Soldato
Hello dudes, its been a few months since i dropped by!

I took a 4 month break since meticulously noting my nutrition and didn't hit the gym with as much gusto. With loads of stuff going on some good, some very bad (girlfriends brother's suicide), i my life couldn't revolve around the gym life. That said i manage to get 5 days a week in of split sessions and saw some nice gains in areas which had stagnated with the prolonged weight loss. Lost most of the cool veins and any outline of abs i obtained but my body seems to be putting on lean mass as quick as fat atm.

The last few weeks i decided on a cut to get myself back into my former mentality focusing on nutritional discipline. I've melted a bit of fat off and from next week i will try a 4-6 month bulk. I've been back on the 6 day push/leg/pull routine - doing compound lifts and accessory exercises for big muscle groups during lunchtime and then going after work to attack the smaller muscle groups with more energy and intensity.

I'm four months from my 2 year mark after i decided i didn't want to be a fat ******* anymore. So best get busy again, dont want to be a scrawny twig for the next picture!

Soldato
Hello dudes, its been a few months since i dropped by!

I took a 4 month break since meticulously noting my nutrition and didn't hit the gym with as much gusto. With loads of stuff going on some good, some very bad (girlfriends brother's suicide), i my life couldn't revolve around the gym life. That said i manage to get 5 days a week in of split sessions and saw some nice gains in areas which had stagnated with the prolonged weight loss. Lost most of the cool veins and any outline of abs i obtained but my body seems to be putting on lean mass as quick as fat atm.

The last few weeks i decided on a cut to get myself back into my former mentality focusing on nutritional discipline. I've melted a bit of fat off and from next week i will try a 4-6 month bulk. I've been back on the 6 day push/leg/pull routine - doing compound lifts and accessory exercises for big muscle groups during lunchtime and then going after work to attack the smaller muscle groups with more energy and intensity.

I'm four months from my 2 year mark after i decided i didn't want to be a fat ******* anymore. So best get busy again, dont want to be a scrawny twig for the next picture!

No comments about the training to make here, but sorry to hear about your GF's brother.

Back
Top Bottom