Mot testers over the top?

Soldato
Bit of rubbish isn't it though, the actual mirror in my car blocks more than the mirror in my other car with an air freshener on it.

Does it? I find airfreshener extremely annoying :) bothsrs the hell outta me! Guess it depends on the car, my s2000 with narrow screen would be blocked quote a bit. My crown with big wide windshield wouldn't be as bad. But end of day, they're just doing their job and following the rules. If rules were relaxed and said "you can have something hanging but only if it's not blocking more than 25% of your screen" then it's okay.. we'd end up with people doing all kinds of things. It's a bit like people who don't fill up their washer bottle and fail MOT.

It takes 20 seconds to remove before getting out of the car so why not do it.

Soldato
Does it? I find airfreshener extremely annoying :) bothsrs the hell outta me! Guess it depends on the car, my s2000 with narrow screen would be blocked quote a bit. My crown with big wide windshield wouldn't be as bad. But end of day, they're just doing their job and following the rules. If rules were relaxed and said "you can have something hanging but only if it's not blocking more than 25% of your screen" then it's okay.. we'd end up with people doing all kinds of things. It's a bit like people who don't fill up their washer bottle and fail MOT.

It takes 20 seconds to remove before getting o
of the car so why not do it.

So glad my friend does my MOT, he will carry out work during an MOT, bulbs, brakes that sort of thing.
Silly rules some of them. He does only do it for people he trusts though would never send an unsafe car on its way.

Permabanned
Yep if I had my car fail over something as silly as that I’d take it somewhere else.

I understand he’s doing his job no problem but it would be just as easy to pull me to one side and tell me rather than just flat out fail it.

A bloody air freshener what’s next banning sneezing as that is far more dangerous.

Man of Honour
Yep if I had my car fail over something as silly as that I’d take it somewhere else.

I understand he’s doing his job no problem but it would be just as easy to pull me to one side and tell me rather than just flat out fail it.

A bloody air freshener what’s next banning sneezing as that is far more dangerous.
Once the test has begun that's it if they find something it fails then they fix it and pass it.

It's not worth the guys ticket just to do a randomer who could be a test customer a favour, don't want a fail on your sheet then spend 5 minutes checking it before you hand it over.

Soldato
When you look at checks the tuv does for hu/au in other countries consider yourself lucky in the UK that the MOT is still very easy to blag...

The law/police are very strict on mods in many countries as well. We get to do almost anything we like in the UK.

Soldato

you'd be the silly one knowing the requirements for the mot and not removing something that it would fail on.

it's a bit like driving your car in with bald tyres and crying about it failing.

the rules are there, available online for everyone to access and see so you sort the car out before mot and it'll be fine.

it's really super simple.

Permabanned
you'd be the silly one knowing the requirements for the mot and not removing something that it would fail on.

it's a bit like driving your car in with bald tyres and crying about it failing.

the rules are there, available online for everyone to access and see so you sort the car out before mot and it'll be fine.

it's really super simple.
Fortunately it hasn’t happened to me and more fortunately I’m friendly with a few garages and testers so this is not an issue for me i didn’t even have to pay for my last Mot ;).

Never the less I still wouldn’t be happy and I would defiantly take it somewhere else.

Now bold tyres are completely different and I wouldn’t get or expect special treatment an air freshener can be very easily removed or ignored.

Permabanned
Funnily enough I’m in a garage right now doing a ramseal and a couple of cable changes on his lifts.

The car they in at the minute just so happens to have a yellow magic tree hanging from the mirror, so I asked the tester would he fail or advise against that and he said no he wouldn’t. He knows the rules better than me and you and he still thinks that it’s a load of nonsense.

Moral of the story take it somewhere else next time.

Associate
OP
Funnily enough I’m in a garage right now doing a ramseal and a couple of cable changes on his lifts.

The car they in at the minute just so happens to have a yellow magic tree hanging from the mirror, so I asked the tester would he fail or advise against that and he said no he wouldn’t. He knows the rules better than me and you and he still thinks that it’s a load of nonsense.

Moral of the story take it somewhere else next time.

Taking it somewhere else isn't going to happen its been going to the same place for 7 years, looking at the testers name it looks like a different tester did it this time, obviously a bit more picky. Shouldn't moan in hindsight as its a 14year old car and if that's the only thing they can find i am doing well, just surprised me have always had one hanging in every test but never been noted before.

Soldato
From the testing manual:
You can remove items such as a sat nav or air fresheners that obstruct the driver’s view of the road. However, make sure you tell the driver.

On that basis, I'd say yes, adding an advisory for it is over the top but he didn't fail it so it's not something to get too wound up about.

Soldato
Taking it somewhere else isn't going to happen its been going to the same place for 7 years, looking at the testers name it looks like a different tester did it this time, obviously a bit more picky. Shouldn't moan in hindsight as its a 14year old car and if that's the only thing they can find i am doing well, just surprised me have always had one hanging in every test but never been noted before.
Why does it matter where its been done?

Permabanned
That’s up to you maybe have a word with him instead.

Soldato
Never the less I still wouldn’t be happy and I would defiantly take it somewhere else.

Now bold tyres are completely different and I wouldn’t get or expect special treatment an air freshener can be very easily removed or ignored.

Those are some defiantly bold words you've used there! :eek:

The air freshener can't be ignored. It's the guy's job to check that there are no obstructions within the windscreen area. Plus, if it is enough to cause an MOT fail, you shouldn't have it there in the first place.

Soldato
Those are some defiantly bold words you've used there! :eek:

The air freshener can't be ignored. It's the guy's job to check that there are no obstructions within the windscreen area. Plus, if it is enough to cause an MOT fail, you shouldn't have it there in the first place.

I know right, seems so obvious but people still can't crack it?

the MOT testers job is to -;

look at the rule book
compare rule book against the car
any issues major/minor/advisories noted
produce result = car fails, passes, passes with advisories.

expecting MOT testers to remove or ignore things is absolutely ridiculous.

Permabanned
Lol I can understand the rules I just don’t agree with them.

Jesus you guys must have been a riot at school.

Anyway just reiterate I don’t have an air freshener hanging from my mirror and nor would it be an issue for me if I did.

It’s not what you know but who you know ;).

Soldato
Some people just can't think in "grey" and only in black and white.
Thankfully my friend even carries out the service while doing an MOT to save time overall and it just makes sense.

Soldato
Lol I can understand the rules I just don’t agree with them.

Jesus you guys must have been a riot at school.

Anyway just reiterate I don’t have an air freshener hanging from my mirror and nor would it be an issue for me if I did.

It’s not what you know but who you know ;).

nothing to do with that..

its the random/dumb expectation of "oh why does it get an advisory for that sheesh just move it out of the way... MOT testers are such bores, wont go there again"

or you could.. you know, just move it yourself before handing the car over and there wont be a problem when someone does their job as required. SHOCK.

Back
Top Bottom